Patient Comments: Ankle Pain And Tendinitis - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your ankle pain and tendinitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: Jenna, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I run track in middle school and recently hurt my ankle. At first, I thought I simply sprained it, so I got an ankle brace and decided to brave through it. Lately, my ankle has been hurting a lot, so I decided to see my personal trainer. He did a few tests and diagnosed me with tendonitis. He gave me a couple exercises to help, but they are very painful. When I finish, my ankle hurts worse than it did when I started. I'd like to know about additional stretches that are just as effective and a little less painful?

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I've been having heel pain for about seven months now. This started a day after a session of intense cardio boot camp. Swelling in my ankle, and pain in my heel are the only symptoms. They occur while I am active or at rest, but I notice it most often when I am just sitting or lying down. I have seen four doctors and have had no tests run. The doctors can't figure out my symptoms (as it's not plantar fasciitis), but they have yet to use any diagnostic tools. I just keep getting prescribed NSAIDs. I've done physio and massage therapy. I finally just started going back to the gym, and it seems to help when I run and do weight-bearing exercise regularly. The symptoms don't completely disappear, but they're much less noticeable. However, I still get occasional swelling around my ankle at completely random times.

Comment from: Ali B., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Over the last six months I noticed a weakness or irritation of my left ankle that is chunkier that my right ankle, which is unaffected. Yesterday, I saw my doctor who recommended a Voltaren cream and a heel insert. My condition has not improved, but it feels much better with the cream and heel insert.

Comment from: Shobhit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Once I slipped from a motorcycle and the vehicle pressed my right ankle upon falling. I had bearable pain for three to four days and did not care. After three to four months, the pain suddenly developed and lasted for 10 days. Still, no medical aid was taken. Now, almost two years later, I still have lots of pain. I get pain more in the evening and while standing.

Comment from: mistaylady88, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

An injury at work last October of 2007 that was diagnosed as a left ankle sprain now has me like a cripple. After physical therapy, the pain continued, although I needed to get back to my job in nursing. This injury has resulted in my being out of work since April of 2008 and in a cast for eight weeks. I continue to be in pain almost every day. No inflammatory medications have been prescribed to me for pain, but I started physical therapy again. The physical therapy person seems to be more concerned than my doctor, and I should not be in this much pain after all this time. I am about to approach a second opinion from another doctor.

Comment from: mhc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had pain in my ankle on and off for over 17 years after breaking my ankle in two places for the second time. Since then, I have horrible jabbing pain at times when I step on it. If the pain lasted very long, I couldn't stand. Cortisone shots help, but they are being needed too close together. I am overweight, which doesn't help. I use OTC ibuprofen and Tylenol. Occasionally, I'll take half of a Demerol.

Comment from: Kaisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I've now had plantar fascia for more than six years. It started with a surgery I had to remove a cyst that was attached to my Achilles tendon. I went through months of painful physical therapy and had some relief. I am a very active person in the evenings (i.e. softball, hardcore cardio, strength training, conditioning, etc.). Every morning the pain in my ankle wakes me up but after several hours of excruciating pain, the symptoms subside after stretching my foot and leg. I recommend lots of ice, anti-inflammatories and ankle wraps.

Comment from: Shelleyam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I'm 48 years old. I woke up one day in May, and my ankle hurt. My first thought was that I had a sprain that never healed. I went to the doctor and the MRI showed nothing. Now they say it's tendonitis. I am very active and can't stand this limping. Motrin doesn't help. Neither does bracing it.

Ankle Pain and Tendinitis - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your ankle pain and tendinitis?