Patient Comments: Ankle Pain And Tendinitis - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your ankle pain and tendinitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been in severe ankle pain for 3 days. There are no apparent injury signs. At the moment it feels like a severe sprain. It is above the ankle bone on the small toe side. There is no swelling or warmth to the touch. I have ice-wrapped it, kept it elevated and I am taking 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours. I also have applied ice pack several times.

Comment from: Lor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I suffered from tendonitis in my ankle for about six months. I tried orthotics, therapy, and any other suggestions that were given to me. Finally, the orthopedic doctor gave me a big black boot. It felt wonderful. He told me to wear it all the time for three weeks. After I stopped wearing it, my pain was gone.

Comment from: extremstorm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I broke a piece of bone off my ankle seven and a half years ago. I have had complications from that because it was not removed for more than a year. I suffered subsequent nerve and soft tissue damage. I have had 11 procedures including the one to remove the broken bone. I have trouble walking, standing and cannot get up on my tip toes any more. I have been suffering in pain for a long time and still cannot manage it. I've tried non-medicinal ways through hydrotherapy, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator), and different creams. I've also been on and off narcotics for years. Nothing seems to work.

Comment from: Cristabell, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had pain in my ankle since October when I thought I sprained it by stepping down out of my car. I have been under an Orthopedics care since that time and I am still in pain. I had 3 months of physical therapy which seems to help a little, but after it was over the pain got worse. I asked my Doctor for an MRI in June which showed I had tendinitis, a small cyst and some cartilage defects. All he said was to keep wearing an ankle brace until October and then we will see what can be done. In the meantime I am in lots of pain when I walk and I limp. I am ready to get another opinion.

Published: July 28

I have always had flat feet and worn lace up shoes with inner supports most of my life. Seven years ago I developed a condition called planta fasciitis. I was told to take pain killers or anti inflammatories which I refused. Eventually, I had instep supports built up, which over three/four years eased the pain. Finally, I tried acupuncture which seemed to work. Later when trying to walk without the inner supports my feet were painful between the small toe and the ankle. Now my ankles are swollen if I walk for half an hour and I am in almost constant pain. In fact I am hobbling which distresses me as I am a very active person. I refused to take pain killers and have asked my Doctor to allow me to get acupuncture from the NHS. That was two months ago. I am still waiting.

Comment from: Gwen williams, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I went for a knee replacement and received ankle pain when I started walking on it, something must have happened during surgery causing tendonitis so my GP thinks. I have been given naproxen and tubegrip to wear on my knee and leg, the pain is unbearable 24 hrs a day

Comment from: susanmanning, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had heel pain for several months. First, I got a steroid shot in the arch of my foot. It didn't help. Then I was told I have plantar fasciitis. I got orthopedic shoe inserts and my right foot was better. Finally, an MRI revealed I had a very large bone spur at the tip of my tendon in my heel. I just underwent surgery 2 ½ weeks ago. I was glad the tendon was in good shape so I didn't have to have a cadaver tendon grafted. The mussel in my calf is losing mass, but I hope when it's all over I will be pain free. I haven't been able to walk for 6-12 weeks.

Ankle Pain and Tendinitis - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your ankle pain and tendinitis?