Patient Comments: Ankle Pain And Tendinitis - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your ankle pain and tendinitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Published: July 28

I have always had flat feet and worn lace up shoes with inner supports most of my life. Seven years ago I developed a condition called planta fasciitis. I was told to take pain killers or anti inflammatories which I refused. Eventually, I had instep supports built up, which over three/four years eased the pain. Finally, I tried acupuncture which seemed to work. Later when trying to walk without the inner supports my feet were painful between the small toe and the ankle. Now my ankles are swollen if I walk for half an hour and I am in almost constant pain. In fact I am hobbling which distresses me as I am a very active person. I refused to take pain killers and have asked my Doctor to allow me to get acupuncture from the NHS. That was two months ago. I am still waiting.

Comment from: susanmanning, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had heel pain for several months. First, I got a steroid shot in the arch of my foot. It didn't help. Then I was told I have plantar fasciitis. I got orthopedic shoe inserts and my right foot was better. Finally, an MRI revealed I had a very large bone spur at the tip of my tendon in my heel. I just underwent surgery 2 ½ weeks ago. I was glad the tendon was in good shape so I didn't have to have a cadaver tendon grafted. The mussel in my calf is losing mass, but I hope when it's all over I will be pain free. I haven't been able to walk for 6-12 weeks.

Comment from: Jenna, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I run track in middle school and recently hurt my ankle. At first, I thought I simply sprained it, so I got an ankle brace and decided to brave through it. Lately, my ankle has been hurting a lot, so I decided to see my personal trainer. He did a few tests and diagnosed me with tendonitis. He gave me a couple exercises to help, but they are very painful. When I finish, my ankle hurts worse than it did when I started. I'd like to know about additional stretches that are just as effective and a little less painful?

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I've been having heel pain for about seven months now. This started a day after a session of intense cardio boot camp. Swelling in my ankle, and pain in my heel are the only symptoms. They occur while I am active or at rest, but I notice it most often when I am just sitting or lying down. I have seen four doctors and have had no tests run. The doctors can't figure out my symptoms (as it's not plantar fasciitis), but they have yet to use any diagnostic tools. I just keep getting prescribed NSAIDs. I've done physio and massage therapy. I finally just started going back to the gym, and it seems to help when I run and do weight-bearing exercise regularly. The symptoms don't completely disappear, but they're much less noticeable. However, I still get occasional swelling around my ankle at completely random times.

Comment from: Ali B., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Over the last six months I noticed a weakness or irritation of my left ankle that is chunkier that my right ankle, which is unaffected. Yesterday, I saw my doctor who recommended a Voltaren cream and a heel insert. My condition has not improved, but it feels much better with the cream and heel insert.

Comment from: Shobhit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Once I slipped from a motorcycle and the vehicle pressed my right ankle upon falling. I had bearable pain for three to four days and did not care. After three to four months, the pain suddenly developed and lasted for 10 days. Still, no medical aid was taken. Now, almost two years later, I still have lots of pain. I get pain more in the evening and while standing.

Comment from: mistaylady88, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

An injury at work last October of 2007 that was diagnosed as a left ankle sprain now has me like a cripple. After physical therapy, the pain continued, although I needed to get back to my job in nursing. This injury has resulted in my being out of work since April of 2008 and in a cast for eight weeks. I continue to be in pain almost every day. No inflammatory medications have been prescribed to me for pain, but I started physical therapy again. The physical therapy person seems to be more concerned than my doctor, and I should not be in this much pain after all this time. I am about to approach a second opinion from another doctor.

Ankle Pain and Tendinitis - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your ankle pain and tendinitis?