Patient Comments: Anencephaly - Causes

Question:Do you know what causes anencephaly?

Comment from: earthotkaren, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a baby girl with anencephaly in 1979. My husband used chemicals, such as Dursban, diazinon and Paraquat on a golf course he worked at. I used to wash his clothes and think nothing of it. I also had an eating disorder, bulimia, for 11 years. I quit the bulimia when I found out I was pregnant, but I was three months by then. I believe the chemicals I was exposed to, along with my bulimia, caused my baby's problem. But, I also had a virus during the second month of my pregnancy. I was really sick with flu like symptoms.

Comment from: Hannah, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I gave birth to an anencephalic baby in March 1971. She was full term but died a few minutes after birth. She was my fifth child. In the first months of pregnancy I had an illness with flu like symptoms, including diarrhea, aching back and joints, pain, swelling and redness in my big toe joint which lasted for months. I was prescribed various medications including colchicine. I was under a great deal of stress at the time since my husband had orders for Vietnam for the second time.