Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: zychi, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 27

I got so tired and breathless I had to push myself along to take a few steps. I thought it was that my COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) had gotten a lot worse real fast. My respiratory therapist told me my face color was strange so I went to the doctor. She took a CBC (complete blood count) and called me that night and told me to go to emergency. My hemoglobin was 5. I was in the hospital 2 days, got 3 transfusions and an endoscopy that showed that I had 2 small bleeds in my stomach and she clipped them. When I left the hospital my hemoglobin was 8.5 and now 2 weeks later it is 9 so I am recovering from the anemia.

Comment from: meeg, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

My anemia symptoms are blood in stool, dizziness, and stomach ache.

Comment from: rachey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I just found out a few days ago that I am dangerously anemic. I had a stress test done because I was having painful heart palpitations and shortness of breath. Doctor told me I was fine. That was at least a year ago. Now I feel tired, though I have slept well. I also have shortness of breath, which I blamed on gaining weight.

Comment from: Angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I've had anemia for several years. I haven't had it checked, lately, but I know my iron is low because I feel dizzy, short-winded and my heart feels like it is racing. When I stand up, I literally see stars.

Comment from: LisaS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My hemoglobin was 6.2 a few, weeks ago. I had to be hospitalized and have a blood transfusion. They had to give me 3 bags of blood to raise my hemoglobin to 8.1. I was in the hospital 2 nights. I had a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy. They found nothing to explain my drop in hemoglobin. Next I am having a procedure where I swallow a capsule with a camera in it. I hope they figure out what"s causing the anemia. I"m still tired, get short of breath, crave ice, and my hair has been shedding worse than normal.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

With anemia, I experience headache, tiredness, soreness, and weakness.

Comment from: MacBeth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been feeling bad for months, probably years, but it's been really bad for a few months. My symptoms have included extreme dizziness, not able to concentrate, extreme thirst, fatigue, headaches, irritability, insomnia, etc. I went to try and donate blood recently and they told me I had an extremely low hemoglobin count, 9. I then immediately googled symptoms of anemia/iron deficiency and voila! All of my symptoms explained. I've started iron supplements and will have my iron checked again in a month. I feel so relieved that it's not something more serious, but also frustrated with myself that I didn't figure this out sooner!

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?