Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: LisaS, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My hemoglobin was 6.2 a few, weeks ago. I had to be hospitalized and have a blood transfusion. They had to give me 3 bags of blood to raise my hemoglobin to 8.1. I was in the hospital 2 nights. I had a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy. They found nothing to explain my drop in hemoglobin. Next I am having a procedure where I swallow a capsule with a camera in it. I hope they figure out what"s causing the anemia. I"m still tired, get short of breath, crave ice, and my hair has been shedding worse than normal.

Comment from: MacBeth, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I have been feeling bad for months, probably years, but it's been really bad for a few months. My symptoms have included extreme dizziness, not able to concentrate, extreme thirst, fatigue, headaches, irritability, insomnia, etc. I went to try and donate blood recently and they told me I had an extremely low hemoglobin count, 9. I then immediately googled symptoms of anemia/iron deficiency and voila! All of my symptoms explained. I've started iron supplements and will have my iron checked again in a month. I feel so relieved that it's not something more serious, but also frustrated with myself that I didn't figure this out sooner!

Published: July 25

It has been a couple of months that I have been feeling that I was running a low grade fever, was very weak and tired, I was always suffering from a headache and I felt very irritable. I went to my doctor and he told me it was stress. It wasn't until I asked him to refer me to a dermatologist, because I had been noticing a lot of hair loss and tiny red dots on my skin, that I was told that my count was 7. It has been two and a half months now and I have been taking Palafer (and iron supplement) with orange juice (Vitamin C helps absorption of iron) and I still don't feel my usual self. I still have the weakness and dizziness and my hair won't stop shedding which is now a big concern for me.

Published: July 09

I saw my Dr.2 months ago- my primary complaint was dizziness. She sent me to an ENT and to see my ophthalmologist - all results were fine. I had also complained of headaches, palpitations and incredible fatigue. (If I do not set an alarm I will sleep for 12 hours and then drag myself around) She never checked my blood. Two months later, still suffering all of the above symptoms plus an incredible craving for ice, dry mouth and a tongue that felt like sandpaper( I had also lost 8 pounds) I went for a routine CBC related to upcoming outpatient surgery (unrelated)they discovered a Hgb of 9.2. No wonder I didn't feel well.

Comment from: otricia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have anemia and one of my symptoms is I'm always cold with chills.

Comment from: CarolF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had chronic anemia for 4 years now. I had two blood transfusions and 3 colonoscopies. The doctors said I have an iron deficiency, but they can't figure out why. I get iron infusions because I can't absorb iron orally. I have been down to a 4.6 HBC, used all the iron stores in my liver. I have a new doctor now since I moved, waiting to see how long till I need my next boosts, it's been going 5 months since my last infusion. Iron levels were starting to drop between blood draws one and a half months apart. Here we go again!

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?