Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 02

I'm very sleepy all the time, and I'm cold all the time, even in the summer heat. I was/am eating four bags of ice per week, and I have dizziness. I was pretty athletic (jogging three times a week), and in the last few months, I had no desire or energy to even walk a mile or grocery shop. I sleep two times a day in two-to-three hour increments, and I am even going to bed at 9 p.m. besides that. I thought at first it was depression, but they drew blood tests on me last week, and I was diagnosed with anemia.

Published: June 27

I experience a tingling sensation in my hands and feet (felt like they were asleep)...was told, after blood work done, and was told I was anemic, that this was a possible symptom...I was not aware previous to this.

Published: June 25

I had shortness of breath, weakness, no energy. Unable to do simple chores, unable to walk any distance.

Published: June 25

I had insomnia, restless leg syndrome, urge to chew ice cubes, dizziness/vertigo. I have been taking 2 Slow Fe pills per day (under doctor's care) and all symptoms gone in less than 2 weeks.

Published: June 16

My symptoms are ongoing, and I am undergoing iron supplement treatment at this time. I feel tired, sleepy and drained all the time. I have dizzy spells that, at times, make me feel that I am going to pass out. I keep a mild headache most of the time.

Published: June 16

I have a loss of energy, and I always feel cold even when others complain that they are warm or even hot. No appetite. Bruise easily and my joints tend to stiffen and sometimes swell. My hand, fingers go numb while I'm sleeping. Now I don't know if all these symptoms are related to my being anemic for the doctors are still trying to help find the right treatment for me. They tell me I am very anemic yet have too much iron in my blood, so it's not an easy 1-2-3 take some iron pills and call me in the morning.

Published: June 13

Tired all of the time, no motivation, short of breath, headaches & dizziness.

Published: June 05

Tired, headaches and dizziness.

Published: May 29

I was tired all of the time. I felt like I had to take a daily nap in order to survive. I also was having heart palpitations every day even while resting.

Published: May 27

I felt very tired, and tired in my movements. I would describe it as being tired down to my bones. It was almost as if I was going to get the flu but I never did. I also felt light headed and I couldn't take a deep breath.

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?