Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 16

I have a loss of energy, and I always feel cold even when others complain that they are warm or even hot. No appetite. Bruise easily and my joints tend to stiffen and sometimes swell. My hand, fingers go numb while I'm sleeping. Now I don't know if all these symptoms are related to my being anemic for the doctors are still trying to help find the right treatment for me. They tell me I am very anemic yet have too much iron in my blood, so it's not an easy 1-2-3 take some iron pills and call me in the morning.

Published: June 13

Tired all of the time, no motivation, short of breath, headaches & dizziness.

Published: June 05

Tired, headaches and dizziness.

Published: May 29

I was tired all of the time. I felt like I had to take a daily nap in order to survive. I also was having heart palpitations every day even while resting.

Published: May 27

I felt very tired, and tired in my movements. I would describe it as being tired down to my bones. It was almost as if I was going to get the flu but I never did. I also felt light headed and I couldn't take a deep breath.

Published: July 23

I have had anemia for some time now. The pills of any kind didn't help. I'm about to start the B12 shots, and from what I've read, it help but, the experience is not a good one.

Published: July 15

My experience includes eating ice all day and night, having headaches on a daily basis and being very tired. I can't get enough of sleep. I've tried a B12 shot and iron pills, but nothing seems to work for me.

Published: July 10

I was diagnosed with anemia in a routine blood test about 10 days ago. My levels were slightly below the lower end of the scale. My doctor told me not to worry and to take iron supplements. A few days later, I was exercising (core not cardio), and I became really hot and dizzy with blurred vision. I didn't improve for about 35 minutes so I laid down and the paramedics were called. I was anxious with heart palpitations, mild tremors in hands and legs and my Raynaud's appeared in my hands. However, in subsequent days, including today, I feel mostly well but every now and then I experience malaise and difficulty focusing. I had more blood tests, which were fine.

Published: July 01

I was feeling tired so my doctor ordered blood tests. As a result, the nurse noticed that my blood flow was very slow. They had to use three bottles to get enough blood to diagnose me.

Published: June 30

When I read the above symptoms for anemia, they described me to a “T.” I often feel as if I cannot make it through a day. I am so exhausted and weak. What's worse, my hair is subtly falling out. I get the palpitations that have been mentioned, along with a sort of racing of the heart. Okay, I've said enough here. Right now, I need a nap...again.

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?