Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: DPat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Due to some heart problems, I had two CBCs three days apart, which showed a drop in my hemoglobin from 12 to 9.8. The doctor requested it be tested again in 48 hours by the same lab. It was checked again 72 hours later with a result of 9.5. My doctor seems at a loss as to why it has jumped around so much in little more than a week.

Comment from: scissors28, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had anemia all my life, and for different reasons. I had bariatric surgery in 1984. Since the surgery I am unable to store B-12 or B-6.I also have thallesemia minor. After trying to treat my anemia with B-12 shots and iron pills for years, my primary sent me to a hematolgist. At that time my RBC was 7-8. I had four infusions of iron, and was told I did not have to have any more infusions for 2 -3 years. But all the symptoms are back. I have shortness of breath, spots in eyes every day; fatigue, etc.

Comment from: Beckster, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm always tired, dizzy, shakey, see spots in my eyes, am unable to concentrate, and some nights have terrible insomnia. Other nights I can't get enough sleep and have headaches, and faint feeling. These are to say the least.

Published: July 21

I had probably been living with anemia for years without knowing it. I was always cold, but otherwise felt OK. I would get fatigued, but I thought it was just hormonal and I needed to be more active, so I'd run a few blocks during my lunch break. Nothing seemed to help. Sometimes I'd get up at night to go to the bathroom and get so dizzy, I'd have to lie down on the floor for a few minutes before crawling back into bed. I attributed it to low blood pressure and premenopausal symptoms. I put myself on a high nutritional diet, took more B vitamins, and watched the carbs and exercised more. I was actually feeling quite good and energetic when I went in to have blood work done prior to having a piece of glass surgically removed from my foot. It was at that time the doctor announced my blood count was at 8 and I had low blood calcium levels -- and this was months after I came back to feeling "dandy" after increasing vitamin B and iron intake. I wonder how low it must have gotten. Scary.

Published: July 21

I figured that I must be anemic because of how easily I bruise, but I did not realize all of the other symptoms. I have extreme headaches nearly everyday, my pulse is usually 120 beats per minute, always in need of a drink yet nothing quenches my thirst, constantly dragging myself around because I am too worn out. I had no idea that these things could all be tied to anemia. I'll be going to my doctor this week to get a correct diagnosis.

Published: July 17

I felt as though I was wearing cement boots, just to walk into work from the parking lot took all of my energy and my heart would pound. I craved ice constantly, had horrible headaches, and dizziness, and just felt completely wiped out.

Published: July 07

I have had anemia since I was a child, I am usually tired, no energy, cold, headaches, sore tongue, and dizzy on bad days. I am giving B12 shots every three weeks. The B12 helps a bit. I have always been this way but I still do everything a normal/healthy person would do. I learned to rest when I had to and push myself to keep going. I have been on iron pills, these don't help.

Published: July 07

I am anemic from taking too much Motrin before and after knee surgery. My ankles and wrists and hands are very swollen. I am very weak and can't hike or do physical activities the way I used to. My doctor has me on 2 slow fe iron pills twice a day for 3 mos. My thinking is slowly getting better and my nutritionist has me taking electrolytes every day to reduce the swelling in my ankles. This experience has been very painful and I can't wait to get my strength back.

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?