Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 21

I figured that I must be anemic because of how easily I bruise, but I did not realize all of the other symptoms. I have extreme headaches nearly everyday, my pulse is usually 120 beats per minute, always in need of a drink yet nothing quenches my thirst, constantly dragging myself around because I am too worn out. I had no idea that these things could all be tied to anemia. I'll be going to my doctor this week to get a correct diagnosis.

Published: July 17

I felt as though I was wearing cement boots, just to walk into work from the parking lot took all of my energy and my heart would pound. I craved ice constantly, had horrible headaches, and dizziness, and just felt completely wiped out.

Published: July 07

I have had anemia since I was a child, I am usually tired, no energy, cold, headaches, sore tongue, and dizzy on bad days. I am giving B12 shots every three weeks. The B12 helps a bit. I have always been this way but I still do everything a normal/healthy person would do. I learned to rest when I had to and push myself to keep going. I have been on iron pills, these don't help.

Published: July 07

I am anemic from taking too much Motrin before and after knee surgery. My ankles and wrists and hands are very swollen. I am very weak and can't hike or do physical activities the way I used to. My doctor has me on 2 slow fe iron pills twice a day for 3 mos. My thinking is slowly getting better and my nutritionist has me taking electrolytes every day to reduce the swelling in my ankles. This experience has been very painful and I can't wait to get my strength back.

Published: July 02

I'm very sleepy all the time, and I'm cold all the time, even in the summer heat. I was/am eating four bags of ice per week, and I have dizziness. I was pretty athletic (jogging three times a week), and in the last few months, I had no desire or energy to even walk a mile or grocery shop. I sleep two times a day in two-to-three hour increments, and I am even going to bed at 9 p.m. besides that. I thought at first it was depression, but they drew blood tests on me last week, and I was diagnosed with anemia.

Published: June 27

I experience a tingling sensation in my hands and feet (felt like they were asleep)...was told, after blood work done, and was told I was anemic, that this was a possible symptom...I was not aware previous to this.

Published: June 25

I had shortness of breath, weakness, no energy. Unable to do simple chores, unable to walk any distance.

Published: June 25

I had insomnia, restless leg syndrome, urge to chew ice cubes, dizziness/vertigo. I have been taking 2 Slow Fe pills per day (under doctor's care) and all symptoms gone in less than 2 weeks.

Published: June 16

My symptoms are ongoing, and I am undergoing iron supplement treatment at this time. I feel tired, sleepy and drained all the time. I have dizzy spells that, at times, make me feel that I am going to pass out. I keep a mild headache most of the time.

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?