Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Beckster, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm always tired, dizzy, shakey, see spots in my eyes, am unable to concentrate, and some nights have terrible insomnia. Other nights I can't get enough sleep and have headaches, and faint feeling. These are to say the least.

Published: July 21

I had probably been living with anemia for years without knowing it. I was always cold, but otherwise felt OK. I would get fatigued, but I thought it was just hormonal and I needed to be more active, so I'd run a few blocks during my lunch break. Nothing seemed to help. Sometimes I'd get up at night to go to the bathroom and get so dizzy, I'd have to lie down on the floor for a few minutes before crawling back into bed. I attributed it to low blood pressure and premenopausal symptoms. I put myself on a high nutritional diet, took more B vitamins, and watched the carbs and exercised more. I was actually feeling quite good and energetic when I went in to have blood work done prior to having a piece of glass surgically removed from my foot. It was at that time the doctor announced my blood count was at 8 and I had low blood calcium levels -- and this was months after I came back to feeling "dandy" after increasing vitamin B and iron intake. I wonder how low it must have gotten. Scary.

Published: July 21

I figured that I must be anemic because of how easily I bruise, but I did not realize all of the other symptoms. I have extreme headaches nearly everyday, my pulse is usually 120 beats per minute, always in need of a drink yet nothing quenches my thirst, constantly dragging myself around because I am too worn out. I had no idea that these things could all be tied to anemia. I'll be going to my doctor this week to get a correct diagnosis.

Published: July 17

I felt as though I was wearing cement boots, just to walk into work from the parking lot took all of my energy and my heart would pound. I craved ice constantly, had horrible headaches, and dizziness, and just felt completely wiped out.

Published: July 07

I have had anemia since I was a child, I am usually tired, no energy, cold, headaches, sore tongue, and dizzy on bad days. I am giving B12 shots every three weeks. The B12 helps a bit. I have always been this way but I still do everything a normal/healthy person would do. I learned to rest when I had to and push myself to keep going. I have been on iron pills, these don't help.

Published: July 07

I am anemic from taking too much Motrin before and after knee surgery. My ankles and wrists and hands are very swollen. I am very weak and can't hike or do physical activities the way I used to. My doctor has me on 2 slow fe iron pills twice a day for 3 mos. My thinking is slowly getting better and my nutritionist has me taking electrolytes every day to reduce the swelling in my ankles. This experience has been very painful and I can't wait to get my strength back.

Published: July 02

I'm very sleepy all the time, and I'm cold all the time, even in the summer heat. I was/am eating four bags of ice per week, and I have dizziness. I was pretty athletic (jogging three times a week), and in the last few months, I had no desire or energy to even walk a mile or grocery shop. I sleep two times a day in two-to-three hour increments, and I am even going to bed at 9 p.m. besides that. I thought at first it was depression, but they drew blood tests on me last week, and I was diagnosed with anemia.

Published: June 27

I experience a tingling sensation in my hands and feet (felt like they were asleep)...was told, after blood work done, and was told I was anemic, that this was a possible symptom...I was not aware previous to this.

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?