Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: July 09

I saw my Dr.2 months ago- my primary complaint was dizziness. She sent me to an ENT and to see my ophthalmologist - all results were fine. I had also complained of headaches, palpitations and incredible fatigue. (If I do not set an alarm I will sleep for 12 hours and then drag myself around) She never checked my blood. Two months later, still suffering all of the above symptoms plus an incredible craving for ice, dry mouth and a tongue that felt like sandpaper( I had also lost 8 pounds) I went for a routine CBC related to upcoming outpatient surgery (unrelated)they discovered a Hgb of 9.2. No wonder I didn't feel well.

Comment from: CarolF, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had chronic anemia for 4 years now. I had two blood transfusions and 3 colonoscopies. The doctors said I have an iron deficiency, but they can't figure out why. I get iron infusions because I can't absorb iron orally. I have been down to a 4.6 HBC, used all the iron stores in my liver. I have a new doctor now since I moved, waiting to see how long till I need my next boosts, it's been going 5 months since my last infusion. Iron levels were starting to drop between blood draws one and a half months apart. Here we go again!

Comment from: anin, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

2 months ago my mother told me that I look pale. But, I don't mind it I just put in mind that i was just a joke. The next day when I am washing my clothes I get easily tired and my hands looked pale and cold also I feel dizzy. My mother told me that I'm anemic because of the symptom's that I usually encounter. That is why everyday I will drink sebukaw a herbal medicine that is used for the local persons to prevent it.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Started Proferrin 2 weeks ago, Had my ferritin done before and after taking for 2 weeks and ferritin still 9. However am afraid to continue as my front bridge and lower teeth are discoloring. Is this a side effect not mentioned.

Comment from: Jericka, 19-24 Female Published: July 18

I feel very tired every day, even when I have gotten a good amount of sleep. I also feel pins and needles in my hands and feet every now and then. My mom and my maternal grandfather are both Anemic, so I think I may be as well.

Comment from: michaela, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I'm constantly feeling tired always feeling lightheaded and have a habit of fainting i'm in my young teens and I've been to the docs and they're sending me for a blood test. One of my teachers says that I might be anemic; I also have heavy menstrual and she says that it sounds like a typical faint.

Comment from: DPat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Due to some heart problems, I had two CBCs three days apart, which showed a drop in my hemoglobin from 12 to 9.8. The doctor requested it be tested again in 48 hours by the same lab. It was checked again 72 hours later with a result of 9.5. My doctor seems at a loss as to why it has jumped around so much in little more than a week.

Comment from: scissors28, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had anemia all my life, and for different reasons. I had bariatric surgery in 1984. Since the surgery I am unable to store B-12 or B-6.I also have thallesemia minor. After trying to treat my anemia with B-12 shots and iron pills for years, my primary sent me to a hematolgist. At that time my RBC was 7-8. I had four infusions of iron, and was told I did not have to have any more infusions for 2 -3 years. But all the symptoms are back. I have shortness of breath, spots in eyes every day; fatigue, etc.

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?