Patient Comments: Anemia - Symptoms

For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: anin, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

2 months ago my mother told me that I look pale. But, I don't mind it I just put in mind that i was just a joke. The next day when I am washing my clothes I get easily tired and my hands looked pale and cold also I feel dizzy. My mother told me that I'm anemic because of the symptom's that I usually encounter. That is why everyday I will drink sebukaw a herbal medicine that is used for the local persons to prevent it.

Comment from: Rita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

Started Proferrin 2 weeks ago, Had my ferritin done before and after taking for 2 weeks and ferritin still 9. However am afraid to continue as my front bridge and lower teeth are discoloring. Is this a side effect not mentioned.

Comment from: Jericka, 19-24 Female Published: July 18

I feel very tired every day, even when I have gotten a good amount of sleep. I also feel pins and needles in my hands and feet every now and then. My mom and my maternal grandfather are both Anemic, so I think I may be as well.

Comment from: michaela, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I'm constantly feeling tired always feeling lightheaded and have a habit of fainting i'm in my young teens and I've been to the docs and they're sending me for a blood test. One of my teachers says that I might be anemic; I also have heavy menstrual and she says that it sounds like a typical faint.

Comment from: DPat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Due to some heart problems, I had two CBCs three days apart, which showed a drop in my hemoglobin from 12 to 9.8. The doctor requested it be tested again in 48 hours by the same lab. It was checked again 72 hours later with a result of 9.5. My doctor seems at a loss as to why it has jumped around so much in little more than a week.

Comment from: scissors28, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had anemia all my life, and for different reasons. I had bariatric surgery in 1984. Since the surgery I am unable to store B-12 or B-6.I also have thallesemia minor. After trying to treat my anemia with B-12 shots and iron pills for years, my primary sent me to a hematolgist. At that time my RBC was 7-8. I had four infusions of iron, and was told I did not have to have any more infusions for 2 -3 years. But all the symptoms are back. I have shortness of breath, spots in eyes every day; fatigue, etc.

Comment from: Beckster, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm always tired, dizzy, shakey, see spots in my eyes, am unable to concentrate, and some nights have terrible insomnia. Other nights I can't get enough sleep and have headaches, and faint feeling. These are to say the least.

Published: July 21

I had probably been living with anemia for years without knowing it. I was always cold, but otherwise felt OK. I would get fatigued, but I thought it was just hormonal and I needed to be more active, so I'd run a few blocks during my lunch break. Nothing seemed to help. Sometimes I'd get up at night to go to the bathroom and get so dizzy, I'd have to lie down on the floor for a few minutes before crawling back into bed. I attributed it to low blood pressure and premenopausal symptoms. I put myself on a high nutritional diet, took more B vitamins, and watched the carbs and exercised more. I was actually feeling quite good and energetic when I went in to have blood work done prior to having a piece of glass surgically removed from my foot. It was at that time the doctor announced my blood count was at 8 and I had low blood calcium levels -- and this was months after I came back to feeling "dandy" after increasing vitamin B and iron intake. I wonder how low it must have gotten. Scary.

Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?