Patient Comments: Anemia - Treatments

How was your anemia treated?

Comment from: Loleta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My mom is suffering with vertigo. While in the bathroom she ended up on floor and had no idea how she got there and apparently she continued excreting without knowing, and feces were on floor. She felt nauseated and weak but did not have any other issues.

Comment from: tejerao naik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

My grandson is one and a half month old. He is suffering from direct inguinal hernia. He is suffering from inability to urinate. His birth before 20 days was by Caesarian. His mother was suffering from diabetes in pregnancy.

Comment from: Gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have always been anemic and unable to take iron supplements due to severe constipation. The disorder was diagnosed as an inability to absorb iron and I get a series of 5 iron infusions about twice a year, depending on the ferritin levels. I have been able to go almost 2 years at times without my levels being down, but my hematologist keeps a close watch on my levels.

Comment from: In Wait, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 47 years old and have been anemic since my first day on earth. I took iron liquid all through my life till I was 12 and by then the iron had stained my teeth irreversibly. I have had them bleached over and over. I get approximately 5 to 7 iron infusions a year, as my MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) level is always too low; which means that my red blood cells are not formed correctly. I do usually get about 2 to 3 transfusions a year. My body stopped absorbing iron from foods and supplements about 10 years ago. I have recently got the news that my body is no longer absorbing a lot of other nutrients that everyone's body needs such as calcium and potassium.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Two days ago I was diagnosed with Uterine Fibroids, which explains the excessive menstrual bleeding I've been dealing with for over a year now. I donate blood on a pretty regular basis; the last time was about five months ago. Always tested negative for Anemia. I was told I am mildly anemic about three months ago after a physical. I started taking a liquid iron supplement. I will have a CBC done in a week or so, which will tell if the supplement has helped. I did not know that fatigue was a symptom, so I just attributed my tiredness to my job. I've had a particularly taxing work experience. Now, I have a much clearer picture and am definitely paying much more attention to the little clues my body gives me. Once I find out the latest from my CBC I will post if indeed the supplement helped and what it is, exactly.

Comment from: Piper, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

I just found out I have macular degeneration. The wet one. I had a shot recently. I am hoping it will help. It is too early to know.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was first diagnosed as anemic when I was a child after my mother found me asleep on my bed in the afternoon. All these years later, routine blood tests are still telling me that I am anemic. I am tired all the time and have no energy or enthusiasm to do what I should. I don't crave ice but do suffer with insomnia and can't grow my finger nails as they keep breaking. Late last year I changed my general physician (GP) who sent me to a specialist so now I am waiting to see if he can find the answer.

Anemia - Symptoms Question: For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?