Patient Comments: Anemia - Treatments

How was your anemia treated?

Comment from: mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My symptoms of diverticulitis are abdominal pain, back pain and gas.

Comment from: melly, Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My blood count was 5. I was a week in hospital, and had an endoscopy. A bleeding ulcer was clipped, I was given blood transfusions and sent home. Within 4 days I was back in hospital, another endoscopy, and another bleeding ulcer clipped. Blood count did not go up so a third endoscopy was done and more clips and a cauterization, more blood transfusion, and when my blood count went up to 9.6 I was given a shot of Procrit and sent home. I am doing ok. I have to have more regular blood testing and take iron (I was already taking two iron pills/day). Doctor may do iron shots.

Comment from: Loleta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My mom is suffering with vertigo. While in the bathroom she ended up on floor and had no idea how she got there and apparently she continued excreting without knowing, and feces were on floor. She felt nauseated and weak but did not have any other issues.

Comment from: tejerao naik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

My grandson is one and a half month old. He is suffering from direct inguinal hernia. He is suffering from inability to urinate. His birth before 20 days was by Caesarian. His mother was suffering from diabetes in pregnancy.

Comment from: Gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have always been anemic and unable to take iron supplements due to severe constipation. The disorder was diagnosed as an inability to absorb iron and I get a series of 5 iron infusions about twice a year, depending on the ferritin levels. I have been able to go almost 2 years at times without my levels being down, but my hematologist keeps a close watch on my levels.

Comment from: Piper, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

I just found out I have macular degeneration. The wet one. I had a shot recently. I am hoping it will help. It is too early to know.

Comment from: In Wait, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 47 years old and have been anemic since my first day on earth. I took iron liquid all through my life till I was 12 and by then the iron had stained my teeth irreversibly. I have had them bleached over and over. I get approximately 5 to 7 iron infusions a year, as my MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) level is always too low; which means that my red blood cells are not formed correctly. I do usually get about 2 to 3 transfusions a year. My body stopped absorbing iron from foods and supplements about 10 years ago. I have recently got the news that my body is no longer absorbing a lot of other nutrients that everyone's body needs such as calcium and potassium.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Two days ago I was diagnosed with Uterine Fibroids, which explains the excessive menstrual bleeding I've been dealing with for over a year now. I donate blood on a pretty regular basis; the last time was about five months ago. Always tested negative for Anemia. I was told I am mildly anemic about three months ago after a physical. I started taking a liquid iron supplement. I will have a CBC done in a week or so, which will tell if the supplement has helped. I did not know that fatigue was a symptom, so I just attributed my tiredness to my job. I've had a particularly taxing work experience. Now, I have a much clearer picture and am definitely paying much more attention to the little clues my body gives me. Once I find out the latest from my CBC I will post if indeed the supplement helped and what it is, exactly.

Anemia - Symptoms Question: For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?