Patient Comments: Anemia - Treatments

How was your anemia treated?

Comment from: Gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have always been anemic and unable to take iron supplements due to severe constipation. The disorder was diagnosed as an inability to absorb iron and I get a series of 5 iron infusions about twice a year, depending on the ferritin levels. I have been able to go almost 2 years at times without my levels being down, but my hematologist keeps a close watch on my levels.

Comment from: In Wait, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 47 years old and have been anemic since my first day on earth. I took iron liquid all through my life till I was 12 and by then the iron had stained my teeth irreversibly. I have had them bleached over and over. I get approximately 5 to 7 iron infusions a year, as my MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) level is always too low; which means that my red blood cells are not formed correctly. I do usually get about 2 to 3 transfusions a year. My body stopped absorbing iron from foods and supplements about 10 years ago. I have recently got the news that my body is no longer absorbing a lot of other nutrients that everyone's body needs such as calcium and potassium.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Two days ago I was diagnosed with Uterine Fibroids, which explains the excessive menstrual bleeding I've been dealing with for over a year now. I donate blood on a pretty regular basis; the last time was about five months ago. Always tested negative for Anemia. I was told I am mildly anemic about three months ago after a physical. I started taking a liquid iron supplement. I will have a CBC done in a week or so, which will tell if the supplement has helped. I did not know that fatigue was a symptom, so I just attributed my tiredness to my job. I've had a particularly taxing work experience. Now, I have a much clearer picture and am definitely paying much more attention to the little clues my body gives me. Once I find out the latest from my CBC I will post if indeed the supplement helped and what it is, exactly.

Comment from: Penny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was always a sickly child. Then when I tried to donate blood at 19, after my first child they told me I was anemic. I have had many of the symptoms here, craving for ice, headaches, easily bruised, fainting, dizziness, rapid temperature changes, ringing in my ears, heart palpitations and hitting my wall daily (my term for 'push through the fatigue then shut down'). After my fourth child at 30, the doctors began to get worried, my red cells had mutated to absorb more iron. My blood count was down to four, I was truly unwell. After years of putting off all the tests, I had iron shots and still no improvement. I ended up having a colonoscopy. It was discovered I have an auto immune disease, I am coeliac. Hopefully this news and change in lifestyle will change my life.

Comment from: Naturalremedy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was suffering from anemia all my childhood. It came back heavily when I was pregnant. I took pills, iron, vitamins, and injections, nothing helped. I was told by a stranger to drink lots of fresh beetroot juice and sour red beetroot liquid. This is not the same as pickled beetroots. The fresh, raw slices of beetroots have to be put into a jar, with cold water, a few cloves of garlic and a piece of bread crust. The jar has to be covered but not closed. After a few days of fermentation, the water will turn red and should be ready to be used. Drink at least a glass of this liquid a day. This natural medication makes miracles. After a few days of drinking it, plus eating a lot of fresh vegetables you will be full of energy and your anemia will be gone. I have tried it many times, it saved me from severe anemia and its symptoms. Red beetroot has powerful ability to increase blood cells and cure various diseases connected with blood, also cancer. It's natural, powerful medication. Now I am like TIG(Trust in GOD)!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have been diagnosed with anemia on numerous occasions, always prescribed iron tablets, but it just returns.

Anemia - Symptoms Question: For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?