Patient Comments: Anemia - Treatments

How was your anemia treated?

Comment from: teila7, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had to have 2 blood transfusions within three months because of anemia, my doctors finally decided to do an emergency hestorectomy. I still have some problems I had developed a heart murmur and my hemo was down to 6.8. Everthing is slowly getting better.

Comment from: chesne5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I was diagnosed with anemia four years ago and take 1-2 iron pills per day. I also eat a couple of dried apricots everyday. Milk interferes with the absorption of iron, so I take my pills before I go to bed. Most days I am fine, but tend to up my iron intake just before and during my period.

Comment from: wyoming, Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My hemoglobin is 4 and I was told it is supposed to be 300. I am scheduled for three iron infusions next week.

Comment from: CatMama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Four years ago I had a bout of diverticulitis with an infection and large abscess. My hemoglobin was 7 and I required four blood transfusions. It now hovers around 10 to 11 and I take prenatal vitamins.

Comment from: Marnee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My anemia was treated with the drug Venifor given intravenously for 10 weeks.

Anemia - Symptoms Question: For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?