Patient Comments: Anemia - Treatments

How was your anemia treated?

Comment from: kimsue68, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

For most of my life I have had these symptoms: fatigue, shortness of breath, prickling in my fingertips, cold skin, mental fatigue, moodiness and my worst one--hair loss. I bought good iron pills from the health food store that have multiple support minerals for iron absorption, folic acid, B12, ferrous sulfate (as iron), vitamin C, and chlorophyll. I take one pill with a multivitamin and fish oil and I feel great. I sleep better, my hair and skin are better, I am more alert, and I have more endurance. Please--if anyone suffers from these symptoms, go to your doctor, get a diagnosis and get treated. The quality of your life improves immediately.

Comment from: maninder, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I was diagnosed with anemia four years ago and take 1-2 iron pills per day. I also eat a couple of dried apricots everyday. Milk interferes with the absorption of iron, so I take my pills before I go to bed. Most days I am fine, but tend to up my iron intake just before and during my period.

Comment from: SnowGoddess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have been a vegetarian since I was 8 years old with no mention ever of anemia. Three years ago I was diagnosed with fibroids after bleeding for 20 days straight and having to go to the hospital. They blew me off and said I wasn't anemic, and not to worry. After my last physical, they told me I was profoundly anemic at a 4, bordering a blood transfusion! I am so active and healthy I couldn't believe this news, I didn't have the typical symptoms, other than the dark circles under my eyes. I read through all the postings and feel better knowing I can treat this. Spinach, kale, fresh beet juice, and prenatal pills will be part of my everyday routine until my next blood test! Wish me luck!

Comment from: cecyfeb12, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

About two weeks ago I got beating by a mosquito and developed this lump in my back. So I went to the doctor to have it checked. Good thing that I did, lately I have been feeling dizzy and felt tired, but did everything around the house. The result came back with hemoglobin of count of 9.9 very anemic and I didn't even know that I had such a disorder.

Comment from: VAR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had every symptom already named here and more for anemia. I am now on B12 injections at home as well as Procrit. I also go to the doctors office and get Nuepogen and Aranesp. I am beginning to think I may never be able to work again. My fatigue is beyond ridiculous and do not sleep at all, EVER without Ambien CR and Trazadone. This is not good.

Comment from: diabetesdiva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

When I was diagnosed with anemia the doctor put me on ferrous, or iron pills. Those made me nauseous, even if I took them with food. I learned prenatal vitamins have a significant amount of iron and don't make me nauseous so I take one of those daily even though I'm not having a baby.

Comment from: tracy66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I chewed two to three toothbrushes up in a weeks time (pica I was told), restless legs, headaches, dizziness, and extreme fatigue. Also very IRRITATABLE. The only thing that helped my anemia were weekly iron infusions (ten of them)--it's a year later and I get to have 5 more.

Comment from: bc, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

Following periods of persistent tiredness, a blood test revealed that I was iron deficient and had anemia. I was initially prescribed iron tablets - these did not agree with me, I was then given a series of iron injections and these also did not work. I am now having periodic iron infusions. My problem apparently stems from losing blood from an area between the small and large bowel.

Anemia - Symptoms Question: For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Anemia - Levels Question: What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?