Patient Comments: Anemia - Levels

What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up?

Comment from: Luckyone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had all of the classical anemia symptoms for over a year. The odd symptom was stomach pains. I kept going to the doctor getting same diagnosis: IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and anxiety. I went to a naturopath to get help with my "IBS". She ordered a simple blood panel because my color didn't look right. Surprise! I was anemic. RBC was 5; anything under 7 is considered life threatening. I had to have four units of blood and four days in hospital to figure out why I lost so much blood. Much to my surprise my "IBS" was colon cancer. Don't second guess yourself if you feel that something is really wrong. If I had just listened to my doctor, who knows how far the cancer would have gone. (Fortunately Stage II, removed during surgery, no chemotherapy or radiation. Now, almost one year, I am cancer free.)

Comment from: libuti, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was easily fatigued and had dizziness. One day my wife took me to a doctor who said I have severe anemia and I was admitted and treated in hospital for 3 weeks.

Comment from: nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been anemic for the last two years. This past year has been the worse since last August. I have had five blood transfusions; two bags each time. The lowest I have been is 6.2, 6.5, and 7.8. Right now, I'm at 9.8. I get my blood checked again soon. They have not said anything about changing the diet I'm on. Iron pills don't seem to work or stop the bleeding, so I have to keep getting blood transfusions

Comment from: visagan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have ulcerative colitis and need to improve my hemoglobin level from 9.1 to 14.2.

Anemia - Symptoms Question: For anemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Anemia - Treatments Question: How was your anemia treated?
Anemia - Diet Question: What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition?