Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?

Comment from: Lojo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

Severe sore throat, metallic taste in my mouth, runny nose, difficulty in talking and breathing, swelling and tightness in throat, itchy face, faintness, low blood pressure and oxygen saturation level of 85%.

Comment from: gee tan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my first anaphylactic reaction 7 months ago. I felt light-headed, numbness, and a tingling sensation that started from my face going down to my entire body. I felt like I was going to pass out. I was pale, my heart was racing, had difficulty in breathing, and chest tightness. Good thing I was still able to self-inject the epinephrine. On my second and third attack, I somehow know the feeling already that I am going to have one, which made me panic more. Then I had my skin testing done and it came out all negative on both panels. Lately, I am having reactions to food that I was never allergic to before. Having that experience was very scary. I had lost weight and whenever I have the sense of hunger, my face starts to tingle, my hands and feet sweaty, and a little bit of difficulty in breathing after eating. I do not know anymore whether it's an anxiety/panic attack or the real anaphylaxis happening.

Published: May 23

I had my first encounter with anaphylaxis just last week. I am allergic to next to nothing: dry grass and a couple trees, but I have out grown the majority of these. It happened during swim practice when the tips of my thumbs started to get swollen. It then spread to all the tips of my fingers to the point where they looked like grapes, color and all. It then spread to my eyes which where the only thing that felt itchy. It slowly spread to the rest of my face and then my tongue. The emergency staff was great but I wish I knew what I am now carrying an EpiPen everywhere with me for.

Comment from: Gail, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

After being bitten by about 40 or so bees, I started feeling very hot and perspiring, couldn't even walk, my heart rate was too fast, I could feel the blood rushing through my body and had to make a bowel movement many times. Also could not talk at all. I was helped to the car, and closet Hospital was 20kms away. Temp low when I arrived and even lower 2 hours later. Was treated with injection, oxygen etc. I hope not. It was really awful.

Comment from: itchy58, 55-64 Female Published: February 04

I usually awaken early in the morning with nausea and stomach cramps.After maybe 20 minutes of this the palms of my hands and soles of my feet start to itch intensely.You cannot imagine how intense the itch is .I usually use my burber carpet and twist my feet as if I am doing "the twist" All the while scratching my palms. The itch will gradually spread to my sides ,back ,legs and all over.After scratching every area I scratch the hives will appear.I have gotten diahrea and my thorat feels odd like a heavy feeling and makes my speech slured. I most often take liquid benadryl as soon as my palms start to itch by then I know its my allergy.If I take the benadryl soon enough I don't get the heavy feeling in my throat.I thnk it is sesame seeds.

Comment from: ps, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

Scratchy throat which worsened to wheezing, watering eyes, aching teeth, diarrhea, then edema of eye lids.

Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?
Anaphylaxis - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you get for anaphylaxis?