Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?

Comment from: Mikey07nj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I started with tonsil cancer, human papillomavirus positive with a 95 percent cure rate. That was 3 1/2 years ago. Now I have bone cancer, tumors in my liver and lymph nodes. Well, I went on an immunotherapy Kyetruda. In 12 weeks it killed all the bone cancer but the lymphoma is getting worse and my liver doctor doesn't see any upside to treating the liver. I mean I've been fighting for a long time and am grateful for that time I just can't see why they can't treat the 2 cancers at the same time. Mine is very rare the cell is not supposed to survive in all the places it went. Seems you should kill something that isn't supposed to survive anyway.

Comment from: Terrytunes60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I contracted pneumonia, diabetes and sepsis on the same day. No one is sure how long all of this was brewing. Four years later I am on dialysis.

Comment from: Lauren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 49 years, dealing with fibroid and trying to eat better to shrink it. I do not know for sure but I suspect that I suffer with anaphylaxis. Every time I exercise or walk my legs begin to itch 3 minutes into the walk. It gets so bad I feel like I am going to lose my mind if I keep going. The itch is very overwhelming. Usually it's from my waist down to my knees. My legs feel hot, welted and I get small red patches that look like small blood spots under my skin. When I take off my clothes this area is red and hot as well. I want to work out as I am not fat or heavy but out of shape. I weigh 149 pounds and am 5 ft. 4 inches.

Comment from: Tristram, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

When my anaphylaxis started, I woke up to severe itching. I took a shower and it intensified. Shortness of breath, heart pounding, and panic set in. I then collapsed. Shortness of breath and itching intensified. The EMS first responder had no meds. They couldn't get my wrist pulse. I concentrated on my breathing. I felt at ease things became black and white. Pixels started to disappear. My blood pressure was 88/52 pulse of 50. Then I had a mild seizure in the ambulance.

Comment from: Flowers, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I have been having hives once or twice a year for the past three years. The doctor told me it was from stress and told me to take Allegra. My hives sometimes lasted for more than a month. Last weekend, I started having hives again. Thinking it might be from stress, I ignored it. Within couple of minutes it was all over my body and I was experiencing shortness of breath. I took some Benadryl that only helped me for a little while. My friend rushed me to the emergency room. My face, lips and tongue were swollen and all I can see was bright light. They took my vitals and all I can remember was a blood pressure of 77/38 and a pulse of 120. After a follow-up checkup, another doctor referred me to an allergist. I am still waiting to get tested. I have EpiPen with me at all times. I am upset that the previous doctor that saw me said it was just from stress and nothing to worry about. I could have lost my life if I kept believing her.

Comment from: Annaphil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

My first reaction was to eating a hotdog, which I had many times before, it started with itchy hands, soles of my feet, eyes and stomach gramps, my daughter took me to the ER where they gave me a IV with medications, and prescribed a Epi pen, a month later I had a reaction to Lunch, same as before but more severe, a coworker took me to my doctor's office, a block from my workplace, where I fainted, she gave me my epi pen, the next thing I knew was when I woke up with paramedics working on me, they said I almost died. I have had two more reactions that sent me to the hospital, now I take liquid Benadryl at the first sign, No cause has been determined they call it Idiopathic anaphylaxis.

Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?
Anaphylaxis - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you get for anaphylaxis?