Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?

Comment from: cher9737, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I carry an epi-pen kit because I am allergic to bees and all related to bees. Also some foods and milk.

Comment from: peteC, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I suffered an anaphylaxis melt down following an increase of aspirin when I was in the hospital this past July due to a heart attack. The symptoms were swelling, irritations, sweats, headache and difficulty breathing which thank goodness the CCU RN's were able to handle quickly and professionally. In my instance the aspirin dosage was increased from 1 x 0.5 twice daily to 3 x 100mg three times per day. It has been a long recovery road from that incident.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had been in the hospital for 4 days for Staff Infection. On two different antibiotics. One was K-flex. Upon discharge I was told to take K-flex 3 times a day. I was home for about 1 hour when I took the first K-flex. Wham, immediately I was itching all over, very flushed, heart beating wildly in my ears, and I was having a hard time breathing. EMT's were called and they gave me a large dose of Benadryl, oxygen, and started an IV along with two breathing treatments. They then took me to the hospital for more treatment. All of this from an IV antibiotic given in the hospital for two days and one oral after I got home. EMT's explained to me that my body had just had too much of the K-flex and I went into shock. I now have to take Benadryl for a few days every 6 hours, 75mg. Needless to say; this medication will be put on my allergic to list. I will be getting an EPI-pen from my doctor to carry with me always.

Comment from: Rose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am 44 years old and have been dealing with this for about 10 years. It starts with severe diarrhea, then the itching and hives. I just recently ended up in the hospital because my throat started closing and my tongue was swelling. I have been to an allergist who said go to the ER next time and have them draw blood. I asked them to and they didn't. They said I was not having any kind of reaction because of the diarrhea and the vomiting. I have probably had about 7 attacks with this being the worst. I have an epi pen, but did not have it with me that night. This time I felt like I was going to die and the doctor's just pooh pooed the idea of some type of allergic reaction. Don't know what to do now.

Comment from: Lojo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

Severe sore throat, metallic taste in my mouth, runny nose, difficulty in talking and breathing, swelling and tightness in throat, itchy face, faintness, low blood pressure and oxygen saturation level of 85%.

Comment from: gee tan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had my first anaphylactic reaction 7 months ago. I felt light-headed, numbness, and a tingling sensation that started from my face going down to my entire body. I felt like I was going to pass out. I was pale, my heart was racing, had difficulty in breathing, and chest tightness. Good thing I was still able to self-inject the epinephrine. On my second and third attack, I somehow know the feeling already that I am going to have one, which made me panic more. Then I had my skin testing done and it came out all negative on both panels. Lately, I am having reactions to food that I was never allergic to before. Having that experience was very scary. I had lost weight and whenever I have the sense of hunger, my face starts to tingle, my hands and feet sweaty, and a little bit of difficulty in breathing after eating. I do not know anymore whether it's an anxiety/panic attack or the real anaphylaxis happening.

Published: May 23

I had my first encounter with anaphylaxis just last week. I am allergic to next to nothing: dry grass and a couple trees, but I have out grown the majority of these. It happened during swim practice when the tips of my thumbs started to get swollen. It then spread to all the tips of my fingers to the point where they looked like grapes, color and all. It then spread to my eyes which where the only thing that felt itchy. It slowly spread to the rest of my face and then my tongue. The emergency staff was great but I wish I knew what I am now carrying an EpiPen everywhere with me for.

Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?