Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?

Comment from: Myleftfoot48, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

On 05/09/2013, I experienced a high heart rate, clammy skin, severe itching and swelling of my hands, eyes, neck, lips and tongue and unconsciousness at home. I soiled my pants, went into respiratory failure and coded while en route to hospital (epinephrine 1000mg, famotidine 20mg, albuterol 2.5mg). This was a first time event. I was admitted and stayed for 3 days. Many tests were done (CBC, EKG, Chest X-ray, blood gases, CT head and C-spine, swallow test´┐Ż), I was also given breathing treatments and oxygen. I had very low blood pressure (63/32), bed was lowered and IV given. I was discharged after 3 days. I had follow up with primary care giver, prescription for EpiPens and tested by allergist/immunologist a month later. Diagnosis was idiopathic anaphylaxis, same as 05/12/2013 diagnosis. I"m fearful that it"ll happen again and I don"t know the trigger.

Comment from: Mikey07nj, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I started with tonsil cancer, human papillomavirus positive with a 95 percent cure rate. That was 3 1/2 years ago. Now I have bone cancer, tumors in my liver and lymph nodes. Well, I went on an immunotherapy Kyetruda. In 12 weeks it killed all the bone cancer but the lymphoma is getting worse and my liver doctor doesn't see any upside to treating the liver. I mean I've been fighting for a long time and am grateful for that time I just can't see why they can't treat the 2 cancers at the same time. Mine is very rare the cell is not supposed to survive in all the places it went. Seems you should kill something that isn't supposed to survive anyway.

Comment from: Terrytunes60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I contracted pneumonia, diabetes and sepsis on the same day. No one is sure how long all of this was brewing. Four years later I am on dialysis.

Comment from: gotta do it, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

Mine are caused by an unknown food allergy, bread products are the cause about 95% of the time (only well flavored or multi-grain). I get a 5 to 10 minute warning: wheezing and abdominal cramping. If I take an anti-histamine right away, it significantly reduces the symptoms that follow the "warning" symptoms. The longer I question (during the first 5-10 minutes) the worse the reaction. I do not get hives, but my entire face and neck get red, sometimes a bit freakishly red. Ears, back of throat and ears itch. Nose plugs after suddenly running like a faucet. I develop short gasping breaths and wheezing. It usually takes two to three trips to the restroom to finally get to the near "water" bowel movement, but it is during this time period that the reaction goes from 5 mph to 100 mph. This is when the "how many minutes has it been since I took anti-histamine" plays a big role. Less than 5 means plan on suffering pretty good (the bad ones involve my voice changing and not getting it back to normal for 1 to 5 hours) 10 minutes means wheezing and semi-shallow breathing will be over in 5 to 10 minutes.

Comment from: Tristram, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

When my anaphylaxis started, I woke up to severe itching. I took a shower and it intensified. Shortness of breath, heart pounding, and panic set in. I then collapsed. Shortness of breath and itching intensified. The EMS first responder had no meds. They couldn't get my wrist pulse. I concentrated on my breathing. I felt at ease things became black and white. Pixels started to disappear. My blood pressure was 88/52 pulse of 50. Then I had a mild seizure in the ambulance.

Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?
Anaphylaxis - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you get for anaphylaxis?