Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.

Comment from: Alexis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I have a lot of people in my family with behavioral health disorders, many of whom took medications to help with them. Many in my family had problems with Risperdal and I told my doctor that. She didn't listen to me and I didn't realize she prescribed it to me, it was called risperidone. I took it and within an hour, I started feeling like I was wearing a silver necklace but I wasn't wearing any jewelry. Then, after 3 hours, I was having trouble breathing and at 5 hours I was in the hospital with anaphylaxis.

Comment from: Bugsuid, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I have had many allergies from birth; primarily horse, cow, dog, cat, ragweed, golden rod, hay, and manure. I got a yellow fever vaccine prior to a trip to South America. They told me to wait 1 hour. After 45 minutes I got impatient and wanted to leave; they asked if I had any symptoms, I replied no. A friend drove me home, dropped me off at the head of my street, and I started to walk home. It seemed to take a long time so I looked at my watch; my entire arm was swollen, above the watchband; walking became difficult; it seemed that I was walking through marshmallows with a soft, squishy floor and heavy legs and feet. I made it home, my husband put me to bed and I awoke several hours later feeling tired but otherwise normal.

Comment from: Clarice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I developed asthma when aged 7, after having bronchitis. After that I started getting sensitive to lots of things. I had anaphylactic type reactions to my great aunt's German shepherd dog where my eyes went red were very itchy watery and swollen. My lips swelled up and I got extremely wheezy. This subsided eventually after leaving her house. I was about 9. Then in my early teens I had a problem breathing after eating homemade lemon curd which contains eggs and eggs had often made me vomit. Then I was about 15 when I had a severe allergic reaction after eating kippers. I went blue and unconscious. The injection of adrenaline given to me by the doctor who was called out saved my life. At that time anaphylaxis was not mentioned. I'm sure this is what these incidences were. There are certain other things I avoid as well as the above. I do not carry an EpiPen as my present doctors do not seem to take what I say seriously.

Comment from: constantfear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

Ten years ago I was given Celebrex (anti-inflammatory) medication for an injury. I had been taking this medication for 5 days, however on the fifth day approximately 20 minutes after taking the tablet I started to feel hot and itchy all over my body. Within 1 minute I became very breathless and it felt like I had a pea in my throat and then the pea increased to what felt like a tennis ball in my throat. The only way I could breathe was to cough. I was transported to the hospital, arriving there within 15 minutes of symptoms starting. I don't remember arriving at the hospital but do remember waking up and being told I had been given an adrenaline shot because I had gone into anaphylactic shock. Life has not been the same as I have had reactions to most medications since this event.

Comment from: OMalley1118, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have never had any allergies until a month ago. I awoke at 3 am feeling as though I was on fire. My skin was bright red from my hair to my hips. My skin felt very tight. My face was swollen, with my eyes almost swollen shut. My throat felt heavy and tight, and I kept trying to clear it. I took Benadryl and had my husband drive me to the emergency room. I was given IV medications and sent home to follow up with an allergist. Since then, I have had 5 subsequent events of anaphylaxis. Allergy testing has not revealed anything definitive. I carry an EpiPen with me everywhere. I am frustrated and terrified. As a nurse, I understand just how serious this could prove one day. I wish I had an answer as to what the trigger is.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a severe allergic reaction to a medication 36 hours ago, hives everywhere on my body. I wonder if there still is a chance of anaphylactic shock.

Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?
Anaphylaxis - Treatment Question: What kind of treatment did you get for anaphylaxis?