Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.

Comment from: OMalley1118, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have never had any allergies until a month ago. I awoke at 3 am feeling as though I was on fire. My skin was bright red from my hair to my hips. My skin felt very tight. My face was swollen, with my eyes almost swollen shut. My throat felt heavy and tight, and I kept trying to clear it. I took Benadryl and had my husband drive me to the emergency room. I was given IV medications and sent home to follow up with an allergist. Since then, I have had 5 subsequent events of anaphylaxis. Allergy testing has not revealed anything definitive. I carry an EpiPen with me everywhere. I am frustrated and terrified. As a nurse, I understand just how serious this could prove one day. I wish I had an answer as to what the trigger is.

Comment from: Cllayton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

I went into anaphylaxis shock in May of 2011. My hands and feet started to burn like when your hands get too cold. Then I had cramping in my bowels and the whites of my eyes turned red, hands and wrist began to swell, then my tongue started to swell to the point I could hardly talk. All this that happened, according to my doctors, was due to allergic reaction to pollens and animal dander. They tell me this is very rare.

Comment from: Lizzy#1460, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I ate some broiled lobster tails and less than an hour later I was nauseated and dizzy and fainted on the way to the bathroom. I had tongue and facial swelling, vomiting and diarrhea. I was given Benadryl and an injection with steroids and medication for nausea.

Comment from: living with it, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been living with severe allergies all of my life. I have found it amazing what you can get used to. There is no telling when I will have a reaction. Luckily, as I have gotten older I am not allergic to as many foods as I once was. But I never let my guard down. I've simply been so terrified, after years and years of emergency room visits, and never knowing if the next will be my last. I'm currently only known to be severely allergic to fish and certain nuts. Until the age of 12/13, there were only about 10 to 15 foods that I could actually eat. I look back at my boyhood and wonder how I survived at all. I know my own parents wonder the same. I also know that I suffer from the mental trauma of dealing with this for so many years. I am extremely thankful that I am much better than that kid I once was. But to this day, I can't think of anything that is more frightening than the next time I have a reaction. I also developed asthma around the age of 6 and eczema, of course.

Comment from: michaels, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I"m happy I found this thread, if only because it explains what"s happening to me right now. I"ve been getting allergy shot treatment for a few months now and recently the dosage was increased. Last night, shortly after getting the shots, I had a brisk mile walk to get to a movie screening I had to be at for work. Midway through the movie, my face became extremely hot, almost on fire, especially around my ears. By the time I got home, I had severe abdominal pain, pain in my anus (probably due to swelling), trouble breathing, swollen throat glands and hives/swelling on my arms and face around my mouth and eyes.

Comment from: katieRN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was recently stung by a hornet or wasp on my wrist right on a vein, which is probably why my reaction was severe. I took Benadryl within 5 min., but 10 min. later my head was pounding, and I was weak with rapid heart rate and breathing. My daughter luckily was home and used the Epipen in my thigh. I was then in and out of consciousness and had an urge to have a bowel movement, but I was incredibly weak and not able to stay awake. My family dragged me to the bathroom, (after calling the ambulance), where I was unconscious when I wasn't vomiting. The EMTs gave me oxygen, IV Benadryl and Solu Medrol. My blood pressure in the ER was very low (80/30) with tachycardia. I don't understand why I had no rash or throat swelling unless epi took care of this. They kept me overnight with IV fluids and Solu Medrol. Now I will keep Epipen close by, but I am afraid to ever have this happen again.

Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?