Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.

Comment from: nancy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I was visiting my Grandma in a hospital. After being there about 45 minutes I felt sick to my stomach, then I started to see stars like I was going to pass out and then became flush, hot and sweaty. This happened all within minutes. I began to feel my nasal cavity begin to swell inside my mouth. I excused my self to my family and left the hospital within a couple of miles of the hospital the symptoms began to disappear. Was this some type of allergic reaction to something in the air at the hospital? I do have other not so intense allergies like hay fever, milk and drugs like Ceclor.

Comment from: littlefolks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

On August 9, I experienced Anaphylaxis for the first and I hope the last time. I was bitten (stung) by a yellow jacket. About 4-5 minutes later I began to feel faint. I was hot yet I had cold chills. My heart was racing and I began to feel short of breath. I had never been allergic to anything therefore had never experienced anything like this. I called my doctor and she had me call 911. I received an Epinephrine injection and an oral medication. Once my symptoms began to subside the doctor suggested that I lay in the dark and relax for 20 more minutes to help everything cease. She then told me to go home and get in the bed and relax for the rest of the day. This was a very bad experience and I hope that I never have to go through it again. If I do, I am prepared. I now carry an EpiPen where ever I go.

Comment from: ELIXX, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Due to sexual relations with a latex contraceptive (in spite of my latex allergy), it came off of the penis and attached to my inner vaginal wall and had to be torn off, removing a thin layer of skin. The next day I started feeling like I had the flu and anaphylactic shock symptoms started. My chest started closing up. My face, neck and inner vaginal walls swelled up and it became very difficult to urinate. After taking two days of Benadryl and DuoNeb breathing treatments I am beginning to feel better but will do a follow up with both my family doctor and OB-gyn. This is a risk I will not take again no matter what my sexual urges try to get me to do.

Comment from: CathO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I am a beekeeper and it was time to collect the honey. My husband and I set out and walked the half mile to our hive and opened it up. My bees are usually very docile but on this particular day they were wicked and proceeded to sting us both thru our gloves and protective clothing. My lips swelled immediately and I knew it was an allergic reaction. After a few minutes I started to scratch and we sealed up the hive and walked home fast. The rash was like rice crispies under my skin with really bad hives and parts were bright red. We drove to the local clinic and I was trying to hold it together, meaning my vision faded, I had violent pains in my chest, I was agitated and retching. My husband had no idea how bad I was until he helped me out of the car and I collapsed at the door step. He says my eyes were rolling in my head and I had wet myself. Everything went white. My conscious thought came back and I was lying on a couch getting my second adrenaline shot and wearing an oxygen mask. After a third shot, the doctor told me I had no pulse and they could not get a blood pressure reading.

Comment from: juliaATdfl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I developed an allergy to the allium (onion) family three years ago. I have a severe sensitivity and will react to the inhalation of the allergen. My symptoms have been diagnosed by an immunologist as anaphylactic. I become confused, disconnected, have blurred vision and a drop in blood pressure causing collapse. If ingested, my tongue feels burned; my lips, face, and nose swell; I get asthma; and I get a sense that my vocal chords have been seized. I might itch intensely under the skin, but I have no hives. With a bad reaction, my limbs feel heavy, and fluid streams from eyes and nose. I have no sense of impending doom. I respond well to adrenaline and oxygen and find additional IV fluids very helpful. I carry four EpiPens, steroids, liquid antihistamines and wear a Medi Alert bracelet.

Comment from: Bubbles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I actually had an anaphylactic reaction while getting allergy testing done. After the first 20 were given to me I started having a flushed, warm feeling. I then became itchy to my ears, eyes and throat. My skin was cool, pale, and clammy. My blood pressure dropped to 90/50. Within three to four minutes I started having intense abdominal and uterine cramps. Every time I sat up I was feeling faint. I was extremely nauseous. The ENT doctor called it a vagal reaction, but I insisted on 911 since he refused to give me Epipen or Benadryl. Once I arrived to the ER I had hives from my head to my pelvic area, my chest was bright red and I was extremely anxious. I am so glad I sought higher medical attention because I felt like I was going to die in that doctor's office.

Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?