Patient Comments: Anaphylaxis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with anaphylaxis.

Comment from: JES, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I have had three anaphylactic events, two of which required hospitalization. I also have bilateral shoulder shrugging due to restless arm syndrome and the ER doctors get side-tracked with that and fail to treat for my allergies. The last time my husband, a dentist, assured the ER doctor that this was my third event, but he was told it wasn't an allergic reaction. Finally, after they had ruled out seizure or stroke, I was treated with IV Benadryl and Prednisone hours later. I was non-responsive for eight hours. It's frustrating to have medical directives or an alert bracelet when the ER doctors just ignore them.

Comment from: Guest, 55-64 Female Published: October 09

I experienced anaphylaxis the other day. I had a very intense episode of hives, and I had to go to the emergency room. It began with my palms itching, then the itching spread all over my body, face, and scalp. I had tongue and throat swelling, and I felt chilled after every new wave of hives and itching. I took two tablespoons of Benadryl at home. I went to the hospital after noticing the throat swelling, and they gave me an epinephrine shot that helped some. They also gave me a steroid pill and Zantac. They gave me prescription of Epipen, which I now carry. My primary doctor did the same. He sent me to an allergist who said until it happens again we won't have any idea why it happened. He also said it wasn't life threatening. (Really?) How odd that he'd think that. Still, I carry the Epipen no matter what he said.

Comment from: Grandma, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was in the hospital for double pneumonia. After I had been there about 2 hours, my blood sugar was taken. It was 156, somebody panicked I think, I was given 3 units of insulin and in about 10 minutes I was in the throws of being in shock. Several nurses about 7 surrounded me and tried to get my breathing under control. I was also given Benadryl. They said later that I was on 100% oxygen. I was then taken to ICU and spent 3 days there. I was then transferred to a nursing floor. They then discovered that I had an ecoli blood infection along with the pneumonia. After a weeks stay and many test later I was discharged.

Comment from: MC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had 3 episodes of anaphylaxis shock so far. 1st time was in turkey, I was stung by a hornet. All other times have been in the UK. When I had it, it was the most frightening thing I have ever experienced, as soon as I'm stung I get flushing of the skin, anxiety feeling that I'm going to die, fast breathing my BP drops very low and my heart starts racing. The sight of the sting also swells up and is very red and wide-spread. The last time I had it was in May, I had to be taken to hospital by ambulance and was put on a drip. I found out that I'm also allergic to certain food as well as insect stings. I now carry the epi-pen and wear a Medi-alert bracelet.

Comment from: Mamabear, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My son is 19 and he has been having panic attacks for the past year. They are continuing to get worse. I ran across this site by accident and read the part about exercising. He has been lifting weight vigorously for the past 6 months and the only thing that seems to help him is Phenergan which is what I was trying to research using it as when having an allergic reaction. He does not break out in hives, but it is usually around the time he eats or after he exercises. His meals have change from white bread to wheat and only wheat product, whey protein shakes etc. and he has actually lost 80 pounds since December. I would like any feedback on this because no one will listen to anything else other than it has to be panic attacks and he is losing his life.

Comment from: T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I've had four major incidents of anaphylaxis, all of them very scary. During one incident, I was already preparing myself to die when the doctor finally decided to give me the adrenalin shot I had asked for from the time I ran into the emergency room. I've been told by a friend who is a doctor that there was no way they would have taken me seriously, as I ran in by myself and could still speak, although I was saying I couldn't breathe. My friend told me I should have been conserving the little air I could get in instead of shouting like I was doing, but I wanted to get someone's attention to my plight as soon as possible before I was unable to speak at all. Doctors don't listen very well. I now carry Epipen and wear a Medic Alert bracelet.

Anaphylaxis - Symptoms and Signs Question: What symptoms and signs did you experience with anaphylaxis?
Anaphylaxis - Possible Causes Question: Do you know what caused your case of anaphylaxis? Please share your experience.
Anaphylaxis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of anaphylaxis. Did you end up in the ER?
Anaphylaxis - Prevention Question: If you've experienced anaphylaxis, how do you prevent another occurrence? Do you have an EpiPen?