- Anal itching facts
- What is anal itching?
- What causes anal itching?
- What are additional symptoms associated with anal itching?
- What kind of doctor treats anal itching?
- How is the cause of anal itching diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for anal itching?
- Local anesthetics
- What if anal itching persists?
Quick GuideHow to Get Rid of Hemorrhoids: Causes and Treatments
Corticosteroids reduce inflammation and can relieve itching, but their chronic use can cause permanent damage to the skin. They should not be used for more than short periods of a few days to two weeks. Only products with weak corticosteroid effects are available over-the-counter. Stronger corticosteroid products that are available by prescription should not be used for treating anal itching.
What if anal itching persists?
For persistent anal itching, efforts are directed toward identifying an underlying cause. An examination by a doctor can rapidly identify most causes of anal itching. Adjustments in diet, treatment of infections, or surgical procedures to correct the underlying cause may be required.
REFERENCE: Breen E. MD., et al. "Approach to the patient with anal pruritus" UpToDate. Updated May 17, 2016.