Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: masterofnone, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

Taking 1 fiber pill a day cured the anal fissure that I had for several years. I also found that some fiber pills are better than others. I can't remember the one that didn't work, but the one that did work is Metamucil Multihealth Fiber active. I get the generic version.

Comment from: Glenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I suffered with anal fissure pain since having a colonoscopy in August. I was referred to a surgeon. He gave me nifedipine which didn't work at first, then I took sitz bath with baking soda dissolved in water as warm as I could stand. I added inserting antibiotic ointment with the nifedipine. I take fiber daily, pain is subsiding daily, and bleeding stopped. Happy to end that pain.

Comment from: Home treatment, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm 19 years old. I have had my anal fissure for a year. Earlier it was not so painful, but since a month back it has been too horrible. The pain was awful, not able to sit, walk, nor sleep. I tried everything; lignocaine, Smuth, Anobliss, and sit up bath for 20 minutes morning and evening. But nothing was useful for me. I was frustrated and felt like I didn't want this life. Later just to try I applied Bioline (petroleum jelly) on my fissure. I saw some change in 1 night. After 2 or 3 days I was really happy that I was not having that much pain. I was in minimal pain. Those who are suffering from anal fissure, it is best to use Bioline. And use hot water to wash after bowel moment, please don't use cold water. With hot water you will get relief. Don't let your stools get hard, and avoid spicy food. Only these things can help for anal fissure. Goud luck to all.

Comment from: BUTTER, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My best treatment for anal fissure is to drink aloe vera juice, and cut the aloe vera plant open and apply the juice to the area.

Comment from: tinogut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I have suffered pain from anal fissure for over 20 years. Nothing ever worked. I got some lidocaine spray 10 percent solution and mixed it with Gold Bond anti-itch lotion and that provided me with instant relief. Then I went on diabetic medicine and that seems to be more long term without the concoction that I had mixed for self-medication. With the diabetic medicines I haven't had any more pain.

Comment from: Manoj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been suffering from anal fissure since last five years. But since last fifteen days I have suffered with bleeding fresh in the morning. I don't have any pain and also don't have problem of constipation. I am very worried how to stop this.

Comment from: eddigits, (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a doctor of management who has researched treatments for anal fissures because I suffered from this problem for several years. I sought help from my general practitioner, my dermatologist, and a surgeon over an extended period. The surgeon told me to try Desitin original diaper rash ointment for some immediate relief of painful burning symptoms. This treatment provided some relief, but there were problems with messy application, making it difficult to employ this method and continue to work at the same time. However, it was a great place to start and I was willing to try anything. Following up on a suggestion from my dermatologist, I tried a number of local applications of skin moisturizers before I discovered a solution. This was Aveeno Active Naturals skin relief body wash fragrance free. I apply this product every time I shower. I concentrate ample amounts in known problem areas and put a light coating on my whole body, do a simple rinse, and dry thoroughly before getting dressed. I have been fissure-free for several years. It has even helped with cracked skin on my hands.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.