Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: eddigits, (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a doctor of management who has researched treatments for anal fissures because I suffered from this problem for several years. I sought help from my general practitioner, my dermatologist, and a surgeon over an extended period. The surgeon told me to try Desitin original diaper rash ointment for some immediate relief of painful burning symptoms. This treatment provided some relief, but there were problems with messy application, making it difficult to employ this method and continue to work at the same time. However, it was a great place to start and I was willing to try anything. Following up on a suggestion from my dermatologist, I tried a number of local applications of skin moisturizers before I discovered a solution. This was Aveeno Active Naturals skin relief body wash fragrance free. I apply this product every time I shower. I concentrate ample amounts in known problem areas and put a light coating on my whole body, do a simple rinse, and dry thoroughly before getting dressed. I have been fissure-free for several years. It has even helped with cracked skin on my hands.

Comment from: Raj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

After suffering for a long month of unbearable pain physically and mentally and taking lots of medicines, I could cure my anal fissure swelling and pain in about a week, by applying a heating bag (4 to 5 times) a day on the affected area. Heating not only reduced the swelling but also acted as a pain-relief solution after passing motions.

Comment from: pjgott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I suffered with anal fissures for over 5 years and really think I tried almost everything out there. I finally healed after using a product originally designed for anal itching and pruritus ani. The name of it is Pranicure. It was made to be the most difficult skin barrier to remove meaning it sticks to anal skin down there. So I thought it might just work on my anal fissures. I ordered it only because they have a money back guarantee and wow! I finally healed. It took about 4 weeks as I had several deep fissures, but it worked when nothing else would. Now after every bowel movement I follow the application instructions of clean, dry and apply, and now I've gone almost 6 months and have had no more fissures. Incredible relief after suffering for so long. I hope this helps a lot of you long term sufferers out there!

Comment from: Ouchie29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

Coconut oil is your best friend for treating anal fissures; and high fiber diet, stool softeners, and unscented wipes. Apply coconut oil as often as you like, it should give you immediate relief and help start healing.

Comment from: beehind, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Doctor prescribed triamcinolone (steroid ointment) for my anal fissure and it didn't work. I decided to try coconut oil and it has been very soothing. I have very little pain or itching now. I can reapply it anytime. Sitz baths help during the day. With the coconut oil I do not wake up during the night in pain anymore.

Comment from: priya g., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have taken lots of medicine for anal fissure but have had no relief.

Comment from: Raj A., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I am suffering from anal fissure problem for the last 1 month and I have used Anovate cream.

Comment from: anal fiss, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

After many years of suffering from anal fissure I had an episode that was unbearable and found out that low residue diet works best for that problem. High fiber doesn't work for our problem, because we want stool that is easy on the rectum i.e., no fiber and no bulk. Fiber actually constipates, but healthy colon has the ability to digest it, still bulk and fiber are not good for damaged opening, our rectum. Also applying a lot of cream (Vaseline is the best) before bed time and in the morning before bowel movement is good. Do not push on the toilet, just let it go, like urinating and cook everything you eat (no raw food).

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.