Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: suleika, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

After years of suffering from fissure and hemorrhoids, my hemorrhoids were banded and I was given a Botox injection for the fissure in February 2013. While this dealt with the hemorrhoids, the fissure pain increased to an intolerable level. I was then treated for 4 months with Rectogesic and Diltiazem cream which eventually healed the fissure and controlled the pain to some extent. Last weekend an anal skin tag was discovered on the fissure scar and surgically removed. To ease the pain and to encourage healing I was given another Botox injection. This now has landed me in hellish pains and cramps, which only respond to opiates for up t0 3 hours a day. I am free of pain when I lie down; hot baths and a hot water bottle strapped to my abdomen give relief as well, but generally speaking I feel so ill that I sometimes feel like fainting.

Comment from: AFhelp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had large bowl movements for the majority of my life. ( I am 21 yrs old) In 2009 I started noticing moderate pain after I would pass a bowl movement. Over time the pain would get worse and worse. Finally I went and had a colonoscopy done and he found an anal fissure. We tried a few methods to clear it up but it just would not go away. I finally agreed to have the surgery. When I woke up from the surgery he said he had found not one anal fissure but a series of small ones that he cannot repair. So now I still have the pain not only when passing stools but also during intercourse! This has become such a frusterating part of my life. I am taking fiber and stool softeners and that is making me go more frequently but it is not relieving any of my pain. The fissures are not seeming to go away!

Comment from: toplash, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I suffered from anal fissures for 13 years after my children were born. I was finally given a choice: surgery or a new treatment of injecting Botox into them. I went with the Boxtox, and that was four years ago. Apart from a bit of leakage now and again, I am pain-free and all thanks to Botox. I know people who have had the operation, and it hasn't worked for them. I know one other person who practically lives in the hospital having had the operation go badly. So, please think carefully before agreeing to surgery. Ask your doctor about Botox.

Comment from: Extremely Upset, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been dealing with anal fissures for about two years. I tried cream and Botox before I had surgery in December of 2008. After the surgery, one cut would not heal, and I was still bleeding from that surgery cut, not the fissure. I was tested for diabetes and the test came back normal. In April of 2009, I had surgery again for the cut that did not heal and was bleeding. After this surgery, the cut still did not heal and I was still bleeding. I was going back to the surgeon every four weeks and every time I went back, he kept burning bleeders by or in my anal area where the surgery cut was. I have to go back to the surgeon again in July, and the cut is still not healing, and I am still bleeding. At the last visit, my surgeon told me I might have to have more surgery. I cannot seem to get an answer as to why this one cut is not healing and why I am still bleeding.

Comment from: Raystonwall, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been suffering with chronic anal fissures since about 1988. In the military, I was just given a cream to use when they appeared. Until lately that was fine, for it would go away for a few months and then return again. Now I have been truly suffering for several weeks with hardly any relief. I even had a colonoscopy a month ago, which diagnosed that an anal fissure was present along with internal hemorrhoids. I walked away with a prescription for a cream to insert in my anal canal, which I can hardly do because of the extreme pain. I usually have a bowel movement about three to four times a day, so I experience quite a lot of pain during the day. I take 4 grams of fiber a day and have started using a stool softener. I have still yet to feel any relief.

Comment from: billybobsboss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've suffered from a deep anal fissure for three months! I saw my surgeon one month ago. She refused to do surgery; said it is not done anymore! I have used the nitroglycerine ointment for a month. Some improvement but still have extreme pain during and for several hours after bowel movement.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.