Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: Robyn , 45-54 Female Published: October 16

I was advised to have surgery for my anal fissure, but I was very reluctant to and decided to try Dr Wheatgrass antioxidant skin recovery cream. I've been using the cream for two weeks, and the symptoms have almost gone.

Comment from: YouDontWantThis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

My fissures are associated with Ulcerative Colitis. Kansan suppositories, used for Colitis, seem to help well, but are very expensive. ProctoFoam brings immediate relief from the worst of the itching- it is Hydrocortisone 10%. I have used Nitroglycerine ointment with good effect in the past. I found it is possible to use the cheap 2% mixed with Vaseline 1:10 to dilute it to the 0.2% that is desired. Using a stool softener helps keep from damaging the tissue again.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I have had this hideous anal fissure now I think for 3 to 4 years. Last night I went to Accident & Emergency and they could only give me painkillers which don't do anything, and told me I need to see a specialist so today I have made an appointment to see my general physician. I so hope something can get done as the pain is terrible.

Comment from: Dave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Anal fissure is the worst long term pain! For 15 years I have done it all from stool softener to salt to sit bath! Creams for sphincter muscles, dilation, but no it did not work at all.

Comment from: billybobsboss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've suffered from a deep anal fissure for three months! I saw my surgeon one month ago. She refused to do surgery; said it is not done anymore! I have used the nitroglycerine ointment for a month. Some improvement but still have extreme pain during and for several hours after bowel movement.

Comment from: need help, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Been suffering from fissure for 3 months had surgery, how do i go back to eating, everyone says you can eat anything. There must be a starting point after eating practically nothing for 3 months. Fissure is now healed.

Comment from: mommaT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

For 27 years, I have suffered since I was 12 years old with IBS, hemorrhoids, gas, and anal fissures. Creams, foam, and medicine didn't work. I had surgery 10 years ago, and have had no more problems with anal fissures. My sphincter was cut and an internal hemorrhoid was removed.

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had bathroom problems all my life. IBS, the usual bloating, constipation, all the usual. Finally turned into a fissure. I have had 3 surgeries and it will not heal. The pain is never ending.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I too suffered for eight or nine months with anal fissures. I had unbelievable pain right before, during, and hours after a bowel movement. I didn't want to eat because I knew what went in eventually had to come out! I had the surgery. It wasn't easy. In fact, it was the worst three weeks of my life. I had lots of pain (the Percocet helped) and lots of sitz baths, and a special lotion to clean the area after a bowel movement (no toilet paper for about two weeks). I also had to learn to re-control that muscle. Long story I know, but there is a happy ending: I had this surgery 12 years ago and not once have I ever had the horrific pain when having a bowel movement! So, have the surgery! After the initial healing phase, you will never regret it!

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.