Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I have had this hideous anal fissure now I think for 3 to 4 years. Last night I went to Accident & Emergency and they could only give me painkillers which don't do anything, and told me I need to see a specialist so today I have made an appointment to see my general physician. I so hope something can get done as the pain is terrible.

Comment from: Dave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Anal fissure is the worst long term pain! For 15 years I have done it all from stool softener to salt to sit bath! Creams for sphincter muscles, dilation, but no it did not work at all.

Comment from: billybobsboss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've suffered from a deep anal fissure for three months! I saw my surgeon one month ago. She refused to do surgery; said it is not done anymore! I have used the nitroglycerine ointment for a month. Some improvement but still have extreme pain during and for several hours after bowel movement.

Comment from: need help, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Been suffering from fissure for 3 months had surgery, how do i go back to eating, everyone says you can eat anything. There must be a starting point after eating practically nothing for 3 months. Fissure is now healed.

Comment from: mommaT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

For 27 years, I have suffered since I was 12 years old with IBS, hemorrhoids, gas, and anal fissures. Creams, foam, and medicine didn't work. I had surgery 10 years ago, and have had no more problems with anal fissures. My sphincter was cut and an internal hemorrhoid was removed.

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had bathroom problems all my life. IBS, the usual bloating, constipation, all the usual. Finally turned into a fissure. I have had 3 surgeries and it will not heal. The pain is never ending.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I too suffered for eight or nine months with anal fissures. I had unbelievable pain right before, during, and hours after a bowel movement. I didn't want to eat because I knew what went in eventually had to come out! I had the surgery. It wasn't easy. In fact, it was the worst three weeks of my life. I had lots of pain (the Percocet helped) and lots of sitz baths, and a special lotion to clean the area after a bowel movement (no toilet paper for about two weeks). I also had to learn to re-control that muscle. Long story I know, but there is a happy ending: I had this surgery 12 years ago and not once have I ever had the horrific pain when having a bowel movement! So, have the surgery! After the initial healing phase, you will never regret it!

Comment from: stew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had chronic constipation all my life and anal fissures since around 2000. In 2007, for various other reasons, I noticed I felt better if I avoided wheat. I stopped eating gluten, which is found in wheat and barley products (and in some rarer grains), and my constipation and fissures cleared up! My GI doctor did a colonoscopy and said I'm not celiac, but now I read that a true diagnosis can only be obtained by endoscopy, so I may or may not be celiac, but I know one thing for sure--I get sick if I eat wheat, so I avoid it and feel better than I have in years!

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had what I thought was a really bad hemorrhoid for about a year. It turned out to be anal fissures. After seven months of ineffective treatment with nitroglycerin and Lydocaine cream, I had to have surgery, a sphincterectomy. It's been almost a month, and I am finally beginning to feel better, and that the surgery was successful.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.