Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: wasstruggling, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I had an anal fissure for all of October and half of November of this year. It healed on its own and then re-opened again after a difficult bowel movement. The pain was so terrible; I was going to inquire about surgery. However, my gastroenterologist prescribed me an ointment with diltiazem in it, which is a blood pressure medicine. Within 10-14 days I was pain free. The medicine promotes blood flow to the area which decreases pressure and promotes healing. Because it was a compound, it was not an inexpensive prescription, however, I have found it *very* healing and would recommend it to anyone suffering from this terrible ailment.

Comment from: Ay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had an LIS surgery for chronic anal fissures, however, although I felt a tangible relief for few months, an event of constipation due to my omittance to taking high fiber products on product caused me to have some blood again after defecation. Except for drastic therapies such as surgeries, the underlying problem is the control of bowel softness. This may be burdensome sometimes if one is compelled to use pharmaceutical products on daily basis.

Comment from: Ms. Saetern, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have never had problem with constipation or pressure from my bottom. When I was 5 months pregnant with my second child, I noticed that I had bleeding from my anus. After my child was born I thought it will go away, of course not. I went to have a check up and found out that I had an anal fissure, the doctor told me to get surgery, but I need help trying to find some answers of what I am supposed to do.

Comment from: diethell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I ended up with an anal fissure as a result of dieting and a lack of fiber in my diet. After trying a number of remedies, this is working for me and was suggested by my doctor to try. Use a glycerine suppository before your first bowel movement in the morning. Apply Polysporin to the tear every time you go to the bathroom and before bed. I also use a Hemoriod supplement at nighttime with creme. I am taking fiber pills to encourage a soft stool and I am consuming lots of fiber rich foods and water into my diet. I have had considerable relief over a one week period (using the Polysporin) and have had the problem for about 5 weeks altogether. I would try anything not to have surgery.

Comment from: sen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had chronic constipation and anal fissure for two years after childbirth and taking stool softener was not working on me nor was taking constipation medication so one doctor prescribed me liver medicine{Livida} and my softened and now the fissure is improving.

Comment from: lube job, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had surgery for hemorrhoids and numerous fissures in the early 90's. Following the surgery was the most miserable 12 days of screaming pain in my life. I had suffered with it for 40 years prior to surgery. After 12 days, the pain subsided. Then 3 years ago, the fissures returned. The only thing that consistently relieves the pain and enables them to heal is to take Xenical with every meal. It keeps the area well lubricated and prevents further tearing while allowing the fissures to heal. Trust me on this one, it works. I take it every day to prevent a recurrence.

Comment from: Jennifer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have several anal fissures and am going to have a colonoscopy. I have taken the medication and having no reaction to the medicine other than nauseated and burping and no bowel movement other than pebble sized bowel movements about 10.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.