Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had bathroom problems all my life. IBS, the usual bloating, constipation, all the usual. Finally turned into a fissure. I have had 3 surgeries and it will not heal. The pain is never ending.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I too suffered for eight or nine months with anal fissures. I had unbelievable pain right before, during, and hours after a bowel movement. I didn't want to eat because I knew what went in eventually had to come out! I had the surgery. It wasn't easy. In fact, it was the worst three weeks of my life. I had lots of pain (the Percocet helped) and lots of sitz baths, and a special lotion to clean the area after a bowel movement (no toilet paper for about two weeks). I also had to learn to re-control that muscle. Long story I know, but there is a happy ending: I had this surgery 12 years ago and not once have I ever had the horrific pain when having a bowel movement! So, have the surgery! After the initial healing phase, you will never regret it!

Comment from: stew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had chronic constipation all my life and anal fissures since around 2000. In 2007, for various other reasons, I noticed I felt better if I avoided wheat. I stopped eating gluten, which is found in wheat and barley products (and in some rarer grains), and my constipation and fissures cleared up! My GI doctor did a colonoscopy and said I'm not celiac, but now I read that a true diagnosis can only be obtained by endoscopy, so I may or may not be celiac, but I know one thing for sure--I get sick if I eat wheat, so I avoid it and feel better than I have in years!

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had what I thought was a really bad hemorrhoid for about a year. It turned out to be anal fissures. After seven months of ineffective treatment with nitroglycerin and Lydocaine cream, I had to have surgery, a sphincterectomy. It's been almost a month, and I am finally beginning to feel better, and that the surgery was successful.

Comment from: prayerful person, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been suffering from an anal fissure for about two months now. I find it very helpful to take three tablespoons full of mineral oil, each night at bed time. Just prior to a BM, I apply a great deal of a prescription cream. I was using nitroglycerin ointment three times a day, but I got headaches. I now use it in the a.m. and p.m. It is the 2% kind, not the .2% kind. Also, it has been a long time since I have actually sat on the toilet. I hover over it, in a more of a standing position. I have been on this treatment for 12 days now, and I am finally getting better, much less pain. Be sure to drink lots of water through out the day, and eat fruit, like melons. Good luck!

Published: May 29

I think it's called ProctoFoam it is a prescription. After suffering since Jan an tried every over the counter medicine, I think this really has helped.

Comment from: Fred, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I had anal fissure surgery in October 2009. It has been about three months later, and I am not completely healed. I don't know if I will ever heal!

Comment from: vitalist, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Anusalve and a Plantain/Goldenseal salve have had a tremendous healing effect on my condition. I have had severe pain for two weeks using various hemorid creams with minimal results. I switched to the salves and noticed pain relief. I also changed my diet eliminating meats and eating more vegetables and fruits. An enema is useful after bowel movements to clear any stool that is irritating the fissure. Light exercising is helping the healing process due to increased body response to repair.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.