Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: ZI, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Go vegan! Honestly, I would have been the last person to try this. I always made fun of vegetarians. I am mostly healthy, and active and I insisted that meat was a necessity, though I got really desperate when I got the anal fissure (acute) and nothing was working. After doing some research and realizing how much my tissues were inflamed, that my body was highly acidic, and my intestines were clogged because of all the meat I was eating. All things contributing directly or indirectly to the fissure. I didn't think cutting out meat and dairy was going to work, to be honest, but it did. I didn't have to have an operation and I actually felt better than ever before! There is hope.

Comment from: Ahmed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Well, for the past 2 years I have been suffering from the pain of anal fissure. I have a way that I use to be pain free for a very long time, however I am not a doctor and am not sure this will suit you. I was taking Xenical which is a pill that stops your body from accumulating fat by making the fat be passed through your stool. I took one pill every 2 days (because if you take it daily you will end up with a diarrhea), alongside Procto-Glyvenol suppositories. The good thing is you have no pain and no blood, the bad thing is Xenical is expensive and you might end up with weak intestines due to the very soft stool, but now I am thinking of going under the scalpel and I hope it will be cured.

Comment from: pooja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had anal fissures for 8 months after getting them during labor. I tried every gel and stool softener possible but they didn't go. Finally I switched to homeopathy medicine and after 5 month course I am now free of this horror. Even during the course of medicines I felt at ease while using bathroom, it is a must try.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I have suffered with an anal fissure for about 5 months. Nothing helped. Then I started applying a product from Zee called 3-In-One Antibiotic ointment. It has bacitracin zinc, neomycin sulfate and polymyxin B sulfate in it. In one week it has improved so much that I do not have any pain. I hope this is safe to do.

Comment from: Healing started: how, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I developed an anal fissure (AF) about 2 months ago. The pain was so extreme my legs would be shaking when I stood up after a bowel movement. I tried Vaseline but it was no help. Then I got the nitroglycerin ointment from my doctor. I tried sitz baths, which helped some. But what finally healed it was after using the toilet, I sit on the edge of the tub with my butt hanging inside and using the hand shower spray with warm water on the area for a minute to clean debris out of the AF. Then gently pat the area dry followed by application of the nitroglycerin ointment. Do this after every movement without fail. After 2 weeks of this, it is so much better. No residual pain anymore. Also, if you know you will be sitting on a hard surface for a while, place a thick sanitary pad in your panties centered over your anus to cushion you when you sit. This was a big help. For men, I guess you could cut a pad in half and stick it to your underwear so that you sit on the pad to protect the fissure.

Comment from: Zion Cured!, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I suffered on and off for 5 years with anal fissures with the worst episode being 3 weeks ago. Lubrication with Ivory soap and enemas would help at times but extreme pain and bleeding was still the result. I stopped eating and only drank water because I couldn"t take it anymore. After worrying about the situation I was led to undergo colonic irrigation. I thought it might be a waste because I had taken laxatives for two days and had 4 massive bowel movements over the course of two days. I took 4 sessions (1 a day) and each time the therapist extracted lots of old fecal matter that had stuck to my colon walls over the years. I don"t have the problem now and have started eating again but she said there is still more old hard debris that needs to be removed. So I will definitely be going back for 4 more sessions! I had to share this because I know firsthand how terrible and devastating this condition is. No one should have to go through this!

Comment from: Rojo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm an overweight person weighing around 102 kg with 173 cm height. I started bleeding some years back while on carb limited diet, but the anal fissures went away when I started taking normal food. A couple of months back I started noticing blood on the tissue and slowly over days it increased. The pain got worse to a level that I was too scared to go to the toilet and moved on a liquid diet. I went to the general physician who referred me to a specialist. He advised to put Rectogesic for 2 weeks and take a lot of fiber. This helped a bit but the blood didn't stop. After doing a couple of visits to the specialist, I agreed to go in for a surgery. Post-surgery, the pain in my bottom came down from level 9/10 to 3/10. Now the problem is that it has been over 14 weeks and I'm still having pain in my bottom with occasional bleeding. I am not able to jog, exercise or even lift weights as these movements worsen the symptoms. The doctor has no further advice but whether to put Rectogesic or again surgery. In the meanwhile, the specialist's bill has climbed to over $3000.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.