Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had what I thought was a really bad hemorrhoid for about a year. It turned out to be anal fissures. After seven months of ineffective treatment with nitroglycerin and Lydocaine cream, I had to have surgery, a sphincterectomy. It's been almost a month, and I am finally beginning to feel better, and that the surgery was successful.

Comment from: prayerful person, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been suffering from an anal fissure for about two months now. I find it very helpful to take three tablespoons full of mineral oil, each night at bed time. Just prior to a BM, I apply a great deal of a prescription cream. I was using nitroglycerin ointment three times a day, but I got headaches. I now use it in the a.m. and p.m. It is the 2% kind, not the .2% kind. Also, it has been a long time since I have actually sat on the toilet. I hover over it, in a more of a standing position. I have been on this treatment for 12 days now, and I am finally getting better, much less pain. Be sure to drink lots of water through out the day, and eat fruit, like melons. Good luck!

Published: May 29

I think it's called ProctoFoam it is a prescription. After suffering since Jan an tried every over the counter medicine, I think this really has helped.

Comment from: Fred, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I had anal fissure surgery in October 2009. It has been about three months later, and I am not completely healed. I don't know if I will ever heal!

Comment from: vitalist, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Anusalve and a Plantain/Goldenseal salve have had a tremendous healing effect on my condition. I have had severe pain for two weeks using various hemorid creams with minimal results. I switched to the salves and noticed pain relief. I also changed my diet eliminating meats and eating more vegetables and fruits. An enema is useful after bowel movements to clear any stool that is irritating the fissure. Light exercising is helping the healing process due to increased body response to repair.

Comment from: wasstruggling, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I had an anal fissure for all of October and half of November of this year. It healed on its own and then re-opened again after a difficult bowel movement. The pain was so terrible; I was going to inquire about surgery. However, my gastroenterologist prescribed me an ointment with diltiazem in it, which is a blood pressure medicine. Within 10-14 days I was pain free. The medicine promotes blood flow to the area which decreases pressure and promotes healing. Because it was a compound, it was not an inexpensive prescription, however, I have found it *very* healing and would recommend it to anyone suffering from this terrible ailment.

Comment from: Ay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had an LIS surgery for chronic anal fissures, however, although I felt a tangible relief for few months, an event of constipation due to my omittance to taking high fiber products on product caused me to have some blood again after defecation. Except for drastic therapies such as surgeries, the underlying problem is the control of bowel softness. This may be burdensome sometimes if one is compelled to use pharmaceutical products on daily basis.

Comment from: Ms. Saetern, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have never had problem with constipation or pressure from my bottom. When I was 5 months pregnant with my second child, I noticed that I had bleeding from my anus. After my child was born I thought it will go away, of course not. I went to have a check up and found out that I had an anal fissure, the doctor told me to get surgery, but I need help trying to find some answers of what I am supposed to do.

Comment from: diethell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I ended up with an anal fissure as a result of dieting and a lack of fiber in my diet. After trying a number of remedies, this is working for me and was suggested by my doctor to try. Use a glycerine suppository before your first bowel movement in the morning. Apply Polysporin to the tear every time you go to the bathroom and before bed. I also use a Hemoriod supplement at nighttime with creme. I am taking fiber pills to encourage a soft stool and I am consuming lots of fiber rich foods and water into my diet. I have had considerable relief over a one week period (using the Polysporin) and have had the problem for about 5 weeks altogether. I would try anything not to have surgery.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.