Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: VNvet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Over the years I had a couple of mild episodes of anal fissure that resolved fairly quickly with topical antiseptic and anesthetic, but the past two weeks have been pretty bad. One great treatment for pain is Solarcaine sunburn spray, which reaches farther into the wounded area with no painful physical touch. Antibiotic ointment is essential, as are stool softeners and fiber which I must use copiously thanks to the opiates I take for severe back, leg, neck, hand and arm pain (which has been worsening for years). The VA (Veteran's Affairs) would far rather drug you up and harass you about your drug use than offer surgery, which I have asked for numerous times. So far, my latest bout is ending, but very slowly.

Comment from: fellow sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have now dealt with three anal fissures, two after giving birth and one recently for no apparent reason. When I had the first one I went to a surgeon who prescribed steroids, stool softeners, etc. all to absolutely no avail. A friend suggested a no-wheat, no-dairy diet. Literally two days later the pain was much less severe and within a week, almost gone. I stayed on it for a couple of months to be sure that was it, and then the symptoms only came back after another baby delivery. Then most recently I used the same self-administered treatment with great success. Try it, no harm and potentially huge relief like I experienced. Good luck.

Comment from: thakur slimshady, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I neither eat fast food nor fried stuff but still got to suffer from this serious matter of concern; anal fissure. After applying ointments (Anovate, Anobliss, and Caldob) for 5 or 6 weeks, when there was no sign of recovery then my doctor subjected me surgery on my sphincter muscles inside the passage. I got 8 stitches inside and 2 external stitches. The operation lasts 20 minutes and now I am good.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have an anal fissure I have suffered with for years. I have serious constipation. I have been able to heal it several times by drinking prune juice, it softens my stool so it can heal. It has flared up again I can hardly bear the pain. Hoping it will heal again soon.

Comment from: ZI, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Go vegan! Honestly, I would have been the last person to try this. I always made fun of vegetarians. I am mostly healthy, and active and I insisted that meat was a necessity, though I got really desperate when I got the anal fissure (acute) and nothing was working. After doing some research and realizing how much my tissues were inflamed, that my body was highly acidic, and my intestines were clogged because of all the meat I was eating. All things contributing directly or indirectly to the fissure. I didn't think cutting out meat and dairy was going to work, to be honest, but it did. I didn't have to have an operation and I actually felt better than ever before! There is hope.

Comment from: Ahmed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Well, for the past 2 years I have been suffering from the pain of anal fissure. I have a way that I use to be pain free for a very long time, however I am not a doctor and am not sure this will suit you. I was taking Xenical which is a pill that stops your body from accumulating fat by making the fat be passed through your stool. I took one pill every 2 days (because if you take it daily you will end up with a diarrhea), alongside Procto-Glyvenol suppositories. The good thing is you have no pain and no blood, the bad thing is Xenical is expensive and you might end up with weak intestines due to the very soft stool, but now I am thinking of going under the scalpel and I hope it will be cured.

Comment from: pooja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had anal fissures for 8 months after getting them during labor. I tried every gel and stool softener possible but they didn't go. Finally I switched to homeopathy medicine and after 5 month course I am now free of this horror. Even during the course of medicines I felt at ease while using bathroom, it is a must try.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.