Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: anal fiss, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

After many years of suffering from anal fissure I had an episode that was unbearable and found out that low residue diet works best for that problem. High fiber doesn't work for our problem, because we want stool that is easy on the rectum i.e., no fiber and no bulk. Fiber actually constipates, but healthy colon has the ability to digest it, still bulk and fiber are not good for damaged opening, our rectum. Also applying a lot of cream (Vaseline is the best) before bed time and in the morning before bowel movement is good. Do not push on the toilet, just let it go, like urinating and cook everything you eat (no raw food).

Comment from: mjway, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a fissurectomy and sphincterotomy about a month ago. The pain from the muscle spasms was gone immediately after the surgery. I had no pain for the first 5 days. Don't let that fool you into doing too much! The first week after the surgery there was pain when I went to the restroom and it lasted for several hours afterward. The pain was not as bad as that of the fissure. By the second week the pain was getting a little better every day. Now almost 4 weeks out, the pain is only when I go to the bathroom and for a short time afterwards. Make sure your stools are soft and keep the area around your rectum clean. It was the best thing I've ever done!

Comment from: VNvet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Over the years I had a couple of mild episodes of anal fissure that resolved fairly quickly with topical antiseptic and anesthetic, but the past two weeks have been pretty bad. One great treatment for pain is Solarcaine sunburn spray, which reaches farther into the wounded area with no painful physical touch. Antibiotic ointment is essential, as are stool softeners and fiber which I must use copiously thanks to the opiates I take for severe back, leg, neck, hand and arm pain (which has been worsening for years). The VA (Veteran's Affairs) would far rather drug you up and harass you about your drug use than offer surgery, which I have asked for numerous times. So far, my latest bout is ending, but very slowly.

Comment from: fellow sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have now dealt with three anal fissures, two after giving birth and one recently for no apparent reason. When I had the first one I went to a surgeon who prescribed steroids, stool softeners, etc. all to absolutely no avail. A friend suggested a no-wheat, no-dairy diet. Literally two days later the pain was much less severe and within a week, almost gone. I stayed on it for a couple of months to be sure that was it, and then the symptoms only came back after another baby delivery. Then most recently I used the same self-administered treatment with great success. Try it, no harm and potentially huge relief like I experienced. Good luck.

Comment from: thakur slimshady, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I neither eat fast food nor fried stuff but still got to suffer from this serious matter of concern; anal fissure. After applying ointments (Anovate, Anobliss, and Caldob) for 5 or 6 weeks, when there was no sign of recovery then my doctor subjected me surgery on my sphincter muscles inside the passage. I got 8 stitches inside and 2 external stitches. The operation lasts 20 minutes and now I am good.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have an anal fissure I have suffered with for years. I have serious constipation. I have been able to heal it several times by drinking prune juice, it softens my stool so it can heal. It has flared up again I can hardly bear the pain. Hoping it will heal again soon.

Comment from: ZI, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Go vegan! Honestly, I would have been the last person to try this. I always made fun of vegetarians. I am mostly healthy, and active and I insisted that meat was a necessity, though I got really desperate when I got the anal fissure (acute) and nothing was working. After doing some research and realizing how much my tissues were inflamed, that my body was highly acidic, and my intestines were clogged because of all the meat I was eating. All things contributing directly or indirectly to the fissure. I didn't think cutting out meat and dairy was going to work, to be honest, but it did. I didn't have to have an operation and I actually felt better than ever before! There is hope.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.