Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: Dave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Anal fissure is the worst long term pain! For 15 years I have done it all from stool softener to salt to sit bath! Creams for sphincter muscles, dilation, but no it did not work at all.

Comment from: billybobsboss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've suffered from a deep anal fissure for three months! I saw my surgeon one month ago. She refused to do surgery; said it is not done anymore! I have used the nitroglycerine ointment for a month. Some improvement but still have extreme pain during and for several hours after bowel movement.

Comment from: need help, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Been suffering from fissure for 3 months had surgery, how do i go back to eating, everyone says you can eat anything. There must be a starting point after eating practically nothing for 3 months. Fissure is now healed.

Comment from: Raystonwall, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been suffering with chronic anal fissures since about 1988. In the military, I was just given a cream to use when they appeared. Until lately that was fine, for it would go away for a few months and then return again. Now I have been truly suffering for several weeks with hardly any relief. I even had a colonoscopy a month ago, which diagnosed that an anal fissure was present along with internal hemorrhoids. I walked away with a prescription for a cream to insert in my anal canal, which I can hardly do because of the extreme pain. I usually have a bowel movement about three to four times a day, so I experience quite a lot of pain during the day. I take 4 grams of fiber a day and have started using a stool softener. I have still yet to feel any relief.

Comment from: Slim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I suffered from an outward hemorrhoid for nine years after the birth of my child. Finally I had to have this surgery called a hemorrhoidectomy. It hurt like hell, and it was hard using the bathroom afterward. When my bottom started to heal after getting in the tub with Epsom salt almost three times a day, I had this awful itch. Also, I was constipated severely. The doctor gave me Proctofoam for the itching, but it didn't work. For the constipation, I have used every remedy there is, and it still doesn't seem to be working.

Comment from: Robyn , 45-54 Female Published: October 16

I was advised to have surgery for my anal fissure, but I was very reluctant to and decided to try Dr Wheatgrass antioxidant skin recovery cream. I've been using the cream for two weeks, and the symptoms have almost gone.

Comment from: YouDontWantThis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

My fissures are associated with Ulcerative Colitis. Kansan suppositories, used for Colitis, seem to help well, but are very expensive. ProctoFoam brings immediate relief from the worst of the itching- it is Hydrocortisone 10%. I have used Nitroglycerine ointment with good effect in the past. I found it is possible to use the cheap 2% mixed with Vaseline 1:10 to dilute it to the 0.2% that is desired. Using a stool softener helps keep from damaging the tissue again.

Comment from: mommaT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

For 27 years, I have suffered since I was 12 years old with IBS, hemorrhoids, gas, and anal fissures. Creams, foam, and medicine didn't work. I had surgery 10 years ago, and have had no more problems with anal fissures. My sphincter was cut and an internal hemorrhoid was removed.

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.