Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?

Comment from: need help, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Been suffering from fissure for 3 months had surgery, how do i go back to eating, everyone says you can eat anything. There must be a starting point after eating practically nothing for 3 months. Fissure is now healed.

Comment from: mommaT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

For 27 years, I have suffered since I was 12 years old with IBS, hemorrhoids, gas, and anal fissures. Creams, foam, and medicine didn't work. I had surgery 10 years ago, and have had no more problems with anal fissures. My sphincter was cut and an internal hemorrhoid was removed.

Comment from: Slim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I suffered from an outward hemorrhoid for nine years after the birth of my child. Finally I had to have this surgery called a hemorrhoidectomy. It hurt like hell, and it was hard using the bathroom afterward. When my bottom started to heal after getting in the tub with Epsom salt almost three times a day, I had this awful itch. Also, I was constipated severely. The doctor gave me Proctofoam for the itching, but it didn't work. For the constipation, I have used every remedy there is, and it still doesn't seem to be working.

Comment from: Robyn , 45-54 Female Published: October 16

I was advised to have surgery for my anal fissure, but I was very reluctant to and decided to try Dr Wheatgrass antioxidant skin recovery cream. I've been using the cream for two weeks, and the symptoms have almost gone.

Comment from: YouDontWantThis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

My fissures are associated with Ulcerative Colitis. Kansan suppositories, used for Colitis, seem to help well, but are very expensive. ProctoFoam brings immediate relief from the worst of the itching- it is Hydrocortisone 10%. I have used Nitroglycerine ointment with good effect in the past. I found it is possible to use the cheap 2% mixed with Vaseline 1:10 to dilute it to the 0.2% that is desired. Using a stool softener helps keep from damaging the tissue again.

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had bathroom problems all my life. IBS, the usual bloating, constipation, all the usual. Finally turned into a fissure. I have had 3 surgeries and it will not heal. The pain is never ending.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I too suffered for eight or nine months with anal fissures. I had unbelievable pain right before, during, and hours after a bowel movement. I didn't want to eat because I knew what went in eventually had to come out! I had the surgery. It wasn't easy. In fact, it was the worst three weeks of my life. I had lots of pain (the Percocet helped) and lots of sitz baths, and a special lotion to clean the area after a bowel movement (no toilet paper for about two weeks). I also had to learn to re-control that muscle. Long story I know, but there is a happy ending: I had this surgery 12 years ago and not once have I ever had the horrific pain when having a bowel movement! So, have the surgery! After the initial healing phase, you will never regret it!

Comment from: stew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had chronic constipation all my life and anal fissures since around 2000. In 2007, for various other reasons, I noticed I felt better if I avoided wheat. I stopped eating gluten, which is found in wheat and barley products (and in some rarer grains), and my constipation and fissures cleared up! My GI doctor did a colonoscopy and said I'm not celiac, but now I read that a true diagnosis can only be obtained by endoscopy, so I may or may not be celiac, but I know one thing for sure--I get sick if I eat wheat, so I avoid it and feel better than I have in years!

Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.