Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: leo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed with grade III hemorrhoid at the result of my colonoscopy last August 2013. Now and then I still bleed after my bowel movement and sometimes when I walk long distance or have been standing for too long I bleed; it bothered me so much. My medications are Faktu cream and Hemorid.

Comment from: LeeMS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

It was about six months ago and I was working on a very stressful project. One morning I was using the bathroom and felt something tear when straining, which I had been doing for some time. That was it and I haven"t been the same since. I"ve always had an issue with hemorrhoids, mainly temporary ones, so I figured it was related to that. I decided to see my primary care physician when the pain wouldn"t subside and they gave me Proctofoam, which seemed to help a little. After a couple of weeks, I contacted my doctor who referred me to a specialist. They then informed me of the tear and told me the Proctofoam was "a band aid" and prescribed C-nifedipine, which I have been using ever since. The results are minimal, but helps me to cope. I also take a softener at night and some prune juice at bedtime. I"ve been back to the specialist and although they noticed some slight healing, they suggested surgery or at least Botox injections. I"m not fond of either option. I"ve tried the Dr. Wheatgrass treatment and also raw aloe vera, but they were basically irritants. The Sitz baths only brought relief when I was in them and not afterward, so I quit that process. When I use the bathroom, I put petroleum jelly on the paper and then cleanse the area, usually applying the nifedipine afterward. I am at a point where I can manage, but it isn"t easy. I may try the Jason"s ointment and the Polysporin to see what effect it has. I don"t think the C-nifedipine is the answer and Einstein famously said that to do the same thing over and over and expect different results is a sign of insanity. Good luck to all of you and I"ll let you know if I find something that really works.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have been suffering from anal fissure since 2 weeks. When I have bowel movement I feel serious pain and there is bleeding with stool. A few days ago I went to the doctor and he did my colonoscopy. He diagnosed I have anal fissure and suggests surgery. He gave me some medicine, Cefradine and ointment. Till now I have no improvement. But I can't understand what I can do.

Comment from: bundox, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I've been suffering from an anal fissure for about 4 months now, I was using stool softeners and creams and it was getting better. However my doctor insisted on a colonoscopy and after the procedure my pain was twice as bad as it had been at the start. I'm convinced he tore it worse. Now I have an appointment with a surgeon. Hopefully surgery won't be needed.

Comment from: painfulpooper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Mine was discovered after digital rectal examination by my GP. I had been having agonizingly painful bloody BMs for more than a year and couldn't stand the pain. Saw a surgeon and am now trying nifedipine ointment, but no change yet after 2 weeks of this treatment. I just want the pain to go away!!

Comment from: PITA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I am an active guy and have had an AF (anal fissure) off and on for a few years. In June of this year it flared up. I dealt with it all summer, went to my gastroenterologist in August and after a month of nitroglycerin ointment, lots of water, fiber, stool softener, and great attention to my diet, I started to see some relief. Then in September, I had an injury that required me to take Lortab. Being a codeine based medicine, I became constipated and the AF came back. I went back to my gastroenterologist and he referred me to a colorectal surgeon. He suggested a fissurotomy. There's not much out there about this but my colorectal doctor has experience with them. Basically they are less invasive than IAS (internal anal sphincter surgery) and no risk of incontinence. I elected to have this procedure done the first of November. It is a Painful recovery but a different pain than that of the fissure. Four days post operation, and I am hoping to have the same success that others have had with this procedure.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.