Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have been suffering from anal fissure since 2 weeks. When I have bowel movement I feel serious pain and there is bleeding with stool. A few days ago I went to the doctor and he did my colonoscopy. He diagnosed I have anal fissure and suggests surgery. He gave me some medicine, Cefradine and ointment. Till now I have no improvement. But I can't understand what I can do.

Comment from: bundox, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I've been suffering from an anal fissure for about 4 months now, I was using stool softeners and creams and it was getting better. However my doctor insisted on a colonoscopy and after the procedure my pain was twice as bad as it had been at the start. I'm convinced he tore it worse. Now I have an appointment with a surgeon. Hopefully surgery won't be needed.

Comment from: painfulpooper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Mine was discovered after digital rectal examination by my GP. I had been having agonizingly painful bloody BMs for more than a year and couldn't stand the pain. Saw a surgeon and am now trying nifedipine ointment, but no change yet after 2 weeks of this treatment. I just want the pain to go away!!

Comment from: Wes, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I was diagnosed with a fissure in July 2010 and was in severe pain not only during BM's but for many hours afterwards, couldn't even sit for 3-6 hours after one. There was bleeding at times. I was put on nifedipine and told to take sitz baths. I took a high fiber diet and softeners. I used ice to cut down the trauma and pain. Nothing worked for long and the BM's were excruciating. The docs suggested surgery would be the only solution after 6 months but I had no insurance so didn't do it. I suffered terribly for another 6 months despite a 2nd dosage of nifedipine and daily sitz baths. BM's were so bad I was in tears some days. I had some black thoughts. A few times I had slight improvement for a few days but always the pain returned. This July, 1 year after the diagnosis, I decided to try a gel I got at a health food store. Its trade name is JASON, and it's a 98% aloe vera gel, with allantoin and menthol among other ingredients. I started using it twice daily, rubbing all around the sphincter (one ingredient, don't know what, produced warming that helped relax the involuntary muscles that were so tight and causing a lot of the BM agony), as well as into the fissure and the related skin tag. Within days I was improving (but had been there before). The improvement continued almost daily and my BM's became much less painful to where now, two months later there is virtually no pain anywhere. It's nothing short of a miracle as far as I'm concerned. I keep taking sitz baths most days, keep high fiber diet and softener, and walk daily. I have my life back for the first time in a year, and it cost 4.99 for a 4 oz tube that's only half gone after 2+ months.

Comment from: angellove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been in agony for 18 months. I'm sure people think I am exaggerating when actually after hours of pain I could die, I cannot tell you how bad I have felt just want it to end, just had botox 4 days ago. Going to the toilet is a nightmare; my life feels like a nightmare I am so fed up. Ruined a job, no sex life actually feel like old woman and am wondering when it will end.

Comment from: PITA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I am an active guy and have had an AF (anal fissure) off and on for a few years. In June of this year it flared up. I dealt with it all summer, went to my gastroenterologist in August and after a month of nitroglycerin ointment, lots of water, fiber, stool softener, and great attention to my diet, I started to see some relief. Then in September, I had an injury that required me to take Lortab. Being a codeine based medicine, I became constipated and the AF came back. I went back to my gastroenterologist and he referred me to a colorectal surgeon. He suggested a fissurotomy. There's not much out there about this but my colorectal doctor has experience with them. Basically they are less invasive than IAS (internal anal sphincter surgery) and no risk of incontinence. I elected to have this procedure done the first of November. It is a Painful recovery but a different pain than that of the fissure. Four days post operation, and I am hoping to have the same success that others have had with this procedure.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.