Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: Marla, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

In 1973 I weighed 320 lb. and was considered a patient for an intestinal bypass, an experimental form of weight loss surgery. My blood pressure was 240/140 and I was pre-diabetic. I currently (43 years later) weigh 180 and my blood pressure is normal and I am not diabetic. This procedure is no longer used because of many problems like 43 years of diarrhea, insufficient absorption of nutrients, and severe cramping from gas in the stomach and tract. But, I am alive and have lived a full professional life and am living a busy retirement life.

Comment from: leo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed with grade III hemorrhoid at the result of my colonoscopy last August 2013. Now and then I still bleed after my bowel movement and sometimes when I walk long distance or have been standing for too long I bleed; it bothered me so much. My medications are Faktu cream and Hemorid.

Comment from: LeeMS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

It was about six months ago and I was working on a very stressful project. One morning I was using the bathroom and felt something tear when straining, which I had been doing for some time. That was it and I haven"t been the same since. I"ve always had an issue with hemorrhoids, mainly temporary ones, so I figured it was related to that. I decided to see my primary care physician when the pain wouldn"t subside and they gave me Proctofoam, which seemed to help a little. After a couple of weeks, I contacted my doctor who referred me to a specialist. They then informed me of the tear and told me the Proctofoam was "a band aid" and prescribed C-nifedipine, which I have been using ever since. The results are minimal, but helps me to cope. I also take a softener at night and some prune juice at bedtime. I"ve been back to the specialist and although they noticed some slight healing, they suggested surgery or at least Botox injections. I"m not fond of either option. I"ve tried the Dr. Wheatgrass treatment and also raw aloe vera, but they were basically irritants. The Sitz baths only brought relief when I was in them and not afterward, so I quit that process. When I use the bathroom, I put petroleum jelly on the paper and then cleanse the area, usually applying the nifedipine afterward. I am at a point where I can manage, but it isn"t easy. I may try the Jason"s ointment and the Polysporin to see what effect it has. I don"t think the C-nifedipine is the answer and Einstein famously said that to do the same thing over and over and expect different results is a sign of insanity. Good luck to all of you and I"ll let you know if I find something that really works.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have been suffering from anal fissure since 2 weeks. When I have bowel movement I feel serious pain and there is bleeding with stool. A few days ago I went to the doctor and he did my colonoscopy. He diagnosed I have anal fissure and suggests surgery. He gave me some medicine, Cefradine and ointment. Till now I have no improvement. But I can't understand what I can do.

Comment from: Yensog, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had an anal fissure for two years. Doctor gave me creams, I bought Anusol cream, did all the bidet washes, tried everything but nothing changed. I found out by chance that I had a magnesium deficiency and started taking 500 mg a day for two weeks and by magic fissure disappeared. I keep having bicarbonate of soda once a day in the bidet, as a precaution. I cut the magnesium to 300 a day with added potassium 250 mg a day. So there may be some of you out there where creams don't work you too may have a deficiency. So try it, it's changed my world.

Comment from: lynda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have suffered on and off with anal fissure for the last two years but three weeks ago it has flared up and no matter what I take the pain is horrendous. It hurts to sit down and lie down. The doctor has prescribed the medicine you have all taken but hasn't cured it.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.