Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: LeeMS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

It was about six months ago and I was working on a very stressful project. One morning I was using the bathroom and felt something tear when straining, which I had been doing for some time. That was it and I haven"t been the same since. I"ve always had an issue with hemorrhoids, mainly temporary ones, so I figured it was related to that. I decided to see my primary care physician when the pain wouldn"t subside and they gave me Proctofoam, which seemed to help a little. After a couple of weeks, I contacted my doctor who referred me to a specialist. They then informed me of the tear and told me the Proctofoam was "a band aid" and prescribed C-nifedipine, which I have been using ever since. The results are minimal, but helps me to cope. I also take a softener at night and some prune juice at bedtime. I"ve been back to the specialist and although they noticed some slight healing, they suggested surgery or at least Botox injections. I"m not fond of either option. I"ve tried the Dr. Wheatgrass treatment and also raw aloe vera, but they were basically irritants. The Sitz baths only brought relief when I was in them and not afterward, so I quit that process. When I use the bathroom, I put petroleum jelly on the paper and then cleanse the area, usually applying the nifedipine afterward. I am at a point where I can manage, but it isn"t easy. I may try the Jason"s ointment and the Polysporin to see what effect it has. I don"t think the C-nifedipine is the answer and Einstein famously said that to do the same thing over and over and expect different results is a sign of insanity. Good luck to all of you and I"ll let you know if I find something that really works.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I have been suffering from anal fissure since 2 weeks. When I have bowel movement I feel serious pain and there is bleeding with stool. A few days ago I went to the doctor and he did my colonoscopy. He diagnosed I have anal fissure and suggests surgery. He gave me some medicine, Cefradine and ointment. Till now I have no improvement. But I can't understand what I can do.

Comment from: bundox, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I've been suffering from an anal fissure for about 4 months now, I was using stool softeners and creams and it was getting better. However my doctor insisted on a colonoscopy and after the procedure my pain was twice as bad as it had been at the start. I'm convinced he tore it worse. Now I have an appointment with a surgeon. Hopefully surgery won't be needed.

Comment from: painfulpooper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Mine was discovered after digital rectal examination by my GP. I had been having agonizingly painful bloody BMs for more than a year and couldn't stand the pain. Saw a surgeon and am now trying nifedipine ointment, but no change yet after 2 weeks of this treatment. I just want the pain to go away!!

Comment from: Wes, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I was diagnosed with a fissure in July 2010 and was in severe pain not only during BM's but for many hours afterwards, couldn't even sit for 3-6 hours after one. There was bleeding at times. I was put on nifedipine and told to take sitz baths. I took a high fiber diet and softeners. I used ice to cut down the trauma and pain. Nothing worked for long and the BM's were excruciating. The docs suggested surgery would be the only solution after 6 months but I had no insurance so didn't do it. I suffered terribly for another 6 months despite a 2nd dosage of nifedipine and daily sitz baths. BM's were so bad I was in tears some days. I had some black thoughts. A few times I had slight improvement for a few days but always the pain returned. This July, 1 year after the diagnosis, I decided to try a gel I got at a health food store. Its trade name is JASON, and it's a 98% aloe vera gel, with allantoin and menthol among other ingredients. I started using it twice daily, rubbing all around the sphincter (one ingredient, don't know what, produced warming that helped relax the involuntary muscles that were so tight and causing a lot of the BM agony), as well as into the fissure and the related skin tag. Within days I was improving (but had been there before). The improvement continued almost daily and my BM's became much less painful to where now, two months later there is virtually no pain anywhere. It's nothing short of a miracle as far as I'm concerned. I keep taking sitz baths most days, keep high fiber diet and softener, and walk daily. I have my life back for the first time in a year, and it cost 4.99 for a 4 oz tube that's only half gone after 2+ months.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.