Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: ingridrdh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had ovarian cancer and after the chemotherapy and radiation was having very painful bowel movements. I thought I might have hemorrhoids. Thought I had hemorrhoids, and was fired from my job because I missed work due this problem. I'm so glad to have a diagnosis of anal fissure--at least I am not crazy and it really does hurt. I just found out today, and am looking forward to relief and a new job.

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have been diagnosed with an anal fissure after three months of suffering. The doctor gave me Diltiazem 2 percent ointment. After using it for almost four weeks, it had not helped me at all and burned when I used it. Finally, in desperation I decided to try using Triple antibiotic salve. In just a couple days I started to feel less pain. For the first time in about five or six months I am able to sit without pain. It was worth the try.

Comment from: t, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 10

I am 32 years old and have been suffering on and off with anal fissures since I was a kid. I have tried several different creams sometimes they would work for a while sometimes not. I make sure to get at least 25 grams of fiber a day either with supplements or with my food intake. In addition I started using a stool softener. I had the botox surgery yesterday and they found a second fissure. One of the things to keep in mind is that more then one fissure or a fissure that won't go away may be caused by a type of Crohn's so make sure your doctors or surgeons check for it. Blood tests are not enough they need to actually go in a bit with a camera. At any rate I am scared to go to the bathroom because of all the years of pain I only go when I have no choice.

Comment from: sandee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been in horrific pain since December. The pain has disrupted every aspect of my life. Assuming it was hemmorrhoids I went to the doctor finally for help. After the initial examine, he gave me a prescription for steroids. The pain worsened and when I went back he said I have fissures and suggested surgery. I declined. I went to my local health hut and tried some natural remedies. Still no relief and still enormous pain. I now have an appointment with a different doctor next week and hoping he will test me for anal cancer or another underlying problem. The first doctor did not do this. Cancer runs in my family.

Comment from: ntw0321, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was told I had an anal fissure early January, I have been on suppository, nitroglycerin and many creams, it would get better then worse, mostly severe burning after bowel movements that last several hours. I went to a surgeon last week and am trying nifedipine ointment, but was not told how long before I would feel some relief, have lost 15 pounds since end of December, afraid to eat not sure what to eat. I drink plenty of water, take Fiber One and have no problem going to bathroon but the pain is severe...

Comment from: hurtsalot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

By colonoscopy and this is my second time around.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.