Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: sandee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been in horrific pain since December. The pain has disrupted every aspect of my life. Assuming it was hemmorrhoids I went to the doctor finally for help. After the initial examine, he gave me a prescription for steroids. The pain worsened and when I went back he said I have fissures and suggested surgery. I declined. I went to my local health hut and tried some natural remedies. Still no relief and still enormous pain. I now have an appointment with a different doctor next week and hoping he will test me for anal cancer or another underlying problem. The first doctor did not do this. Cancer runs in my family.

Comment from: ntw0321, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was told I had an anal fissure early January, I have been on suppository, nitroglycerin and many creams, it would get better then worse, mostly severe burning after bowel movements that last several hours. I went to a surgeon last week and am trying nifedipine ointment, but was not told how long before I would feel some relief, have lost 15 pounds since end of December, afraid to eat not sure what to eat. I drink plenty of water, take Fiber One and have no problem going to bathroon but the pain is severe...

Comment from: hurtsalot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

By colonoscopy and this is my second time around.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.