Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: sandee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have been in horrific pain since December. The pain has disrupted every aspect of my life. Assuming it was hemmorrhoids I went to the doctor finally for help. After the initial examine, he gave me a prescription for steroids. The pain worsened and when I went back he said I have fissures and suggested surgery. I declined. I went to my local health hut and tried some natural remedies. Still no relief and still enormous pain. I now have an appointment with a different doctor next week and hoping he will test me for anal cancer or another underlying problem. The first doctor did not do this. Cancer runs in my family.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: ntw0321, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I was told I had an anal fissure early January, I have been on suppository, nitroglycerin and many creams, it would get better then worse, mostly severe burning after bowel movements that last several hours. I went to a surgeon last week and am trying nifedipine ointment, but was not told how long before I would feel some relief, have lost 15 pounds since end of December, afraid to eat not sure what to eat. I drink plenty of water, take Fiber One and have no problem going to bathroon but the pain is severe...

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: hurtsalot, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

By colonoscopy and this is my second time around.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.