Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: Wes, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I was diagnosed with a fissure in July 2010 and was in severe pain not only during BM's but for many hours afterwards, couldn't even sit for 3-6 hours after one. There was bleeding at times. I was put on nifedipine and told to take sitz baths. I took a high fiber diet and softeners. I used ice to cut down the trauma and pain. Nothing worked for long and the BM's were excruciating. The docs suggested surgery would be the only solution after 6 months but I had no insurance so didn't do it. I suffered terribly for another 6 months despite a 2nd dosage of nifedipine and daily sitz baths. BM's were so bad I was in tears some days. I had some black thoughts. A few times I had slight improvement for a few days but always the pain returned. This July, 1 year after the diagnosis, I decided to try a gel I got at a health food store. Its trade name is JASON, and it's a 98% aloe vera gel, with allantoin and menthol among other ingredients. I started using it twice daily, rubbing all around the sphincter (one ingredient, don't know what, produced warming that helped relax the involuntary muscles that were so tight and causing a lot of the BM agony), as well as into the fissure and the related skin tag. Within days I was improving (but had been there before). The improvement continued almost daily and my BM's became much less painful to where now, two months later there is virtually no pain anywhere. It's nothing short of a miracle as far as I'm concerned. I keep taking sitz baths most days, keep high fiber diet and softener, and walk daily. I have my life back for the first time in a year, and it cost 4.99 for a 4 oz tube that's only half gone after 2+ months.

Comment from: angellove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been in agony for 18 months. I'm sure people think I am exaggerating when actually after hours of pain I could die, I cannot tell you how bad I have felt just want it to end, just had botox 4 days ago. Going to the toilet is a nightmare; my life feels like a nightmare I am so fed up. Ruined a job, no sex life actually feel like old woman and am wondering when it will end.

Comment from: Fissure Free, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had this problem back in 2005 when I was going to be treated for some minor internal hemorrhoids. The doctor noticed a fissure. He removed some hemorrhoids and gave me some cream that didn't help. After many sleepless days and nights and crying from the pain, the doctor said I needed surgery ASAP. Two days later, I had surgery and I've never looked back. (No pun intended!) I am very glad I had the surgery. After three weeks, I was back working on the ambulance, as I'm a paramedic. I have never had the pain again.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with irritable bowel and was getting sharp knife pains in my rectum. Also during intercourse the same thing would happen and the gynecologist told me to relax. Then this skin tag started growing out of my rectal sphincter to over 5 inches long which looked like a worm - wiggling and itchy. I had it cut off but it grew back three times. So finally the third time went for surgery in the OR and had it cut out of the sphincter not just shortened, had the fissure in the canal (all the scar tissue) cut out and let to heal again and had my sphincter cut to not make it so tight (internal sphincter). So from 1983-1996 I was in a lot of pain until the surgery and since then I might leak a bit but no more knife like pains, but it took three surgeries. They didn't remove any hemorrhoids so they still bother me now and then, I just try hard not to get constipated, I usually have diarrhea 3-4 times per day and carry tucks or wet wipes for when it gets itchy and to clean. It was worth the surgery but took along time before they would do it, always creams, tucks, soaks, etc. Up to you. It is now almost 30 years since the first incident.

Comment from: ingridrdh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had ovarian cancer and after the chemotherapy and radiation was having very painful bowel movements. I thought I might have hemorrhoids. Thought I had hemorrhoids, and was fired from my job because I missed work due this problem. I'm so glad to have a diagnosis of anal fissure--at least I am not crazy and it really does hurt. I just found out today, and am looking forward to relief and a new job.

Comment from: Catherine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I have been diagnosed with an anal fissure after three months of suffering. The doctor gave me Diltiazem 2 percent ointment. After using it for almost four weeks, it had not helped me at all and burned when I used it. Finally, in desperation I decided to try using Triple antibiotic salve. In just a couple days I started to feel less pain. For the first time in about five or six months I am able to sit without pain. It was worth the try.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.