Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Diagnosis

How was your anal fissure diagnosed?

Comment from: Yensog, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had an anal fissure for two years. Doctor gave me creams, I bought Anusol cream, did all the bidet washes, tried everything but nothing changed. I found out by chance that I had a magnesium deficiency and started taking 500 mg a day for two weeks and by magic fissure disappeared. I keep having bicarbonate of soda once a day in the bidet, as a precaution. I cut the magnesium to 300 a day with added potassium 250 mg a day. So there may be some of you out there where creams don't work you too may have a deficiency. So try it, it's changed my world.

Comment from: lynda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have suffered on and off with anal fissure for the last two years but three weeks ago it has flared up and no matter what I take the pain is horrendous. It hurts to sit down and lie down. The doctor has prescribed the medicine you have all taken but hasn't cured it.

Comment from: bundox, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I've been suffering from an anal fissure for about 4 months now, I was using stool softeners and creams and it was getting better. However my doctor insisted on a colonoscopy and after the procedure my pain was twice as bad as it had been at the start. I'm convinced he tore it worse. Now I have an appointment with a surgeon. Hopefully surgery won't be needed.

Comment from: painfulpooper, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

Mine was discovered after digital rectal examination by my GP. I had been having agonizingly painful bloody BMs for more than a year and couldn't stand the pain. Saw a surgeon and am now trying nifedipine ointment, but no change yet after 2 weeks of this treatment. I just want the pain to go away!!

Comment from: angellove, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been in agony for 18 months. I'm sure people think I am exaggerating when actually after hours of pain I could die, I cannot tell you how bad I have felt just want it to end, just had botox 4 days ago. Going to the toilet is a nightmare; my life feels like a nightmare I am so fed up. Ruined a job, no sex life actually feel like old woman and am wondering when it will end.

Comment from: Fissure Free, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I had this problem back in 2005 when I was going to be treated for some minor internal hemorrhoids. The doctor noticed a fissure. He removed some hemorrhoids and gave me some cream that didn't help. After many sleepless days and nights and crying from the pain, the doctor said I needed surgery ASAP. Two days later, I had surgery and I've never looked back. (No pun intended!) I am very glad I had the surgery. After three weeks, I was back working on the ambulance, as I'm a paramedic. I have never had the pain again.

Comment from: PITA, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I am an active guy and have had an AF (anal fissure) off and on for a few years. In June of this year it flared up. I dealt with it all summer, went to my gastroenterologist in August and after a month of nitroglycerin ointment, lots of water, fiber, stool softener, and great attention to my diet, I started to see some relief. Then in September, I had an injury that required me to take Lortab. Being a codeine based medicine, I became constipated and the AF came back. I went back to my gastroenterologist and he referred me to a colorectal surgeon. He suggested a fissurotomy. There's not much out there about this but my colorectal doctor has experience with them. Basically they are less invasive than IAS (internal anal sphincter surgery) and no risk of incontinence. I elected to have this procedure done the first of November. It is a Painful recovery but a different pain than that of the fissure. Four days post operation, and I am hoping to have the same success that others have had with this procedure.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with irritable bowel and was getting sharp knife pains in my rectum. Also during intercourse the same thing would happen and the gynecologist told me to relax. Then this skin tag started growing out of my rectal sphincter to over 5 inches long which looked like a worm - wiggling and itchy. I had it cut off but it grew back three times. So finally the third time went for surgery in the OR and had it cut out of the sphincter not just shortened, had the fissure in the canal (all the scar tissue) cut out and let to heal again and had my sphincter cut to not make it so tight (internal sphincter). So from 1983-1996 I was in a lot of pain until the surgery and since then I might leak a bit but no more knife like pains, but it took three surgeries. They didn't remove any hemorrhoids so they still bother me now and then, I just try hard not to get constipated, I usually have diarrhea 3-4 times per day and carry tucks or wet wipes for when it gets itchy and to clean. It was worth the surgery but took along time before they would do it, always creams, tucks, soaks, etc. Up to you. It is now almost 30 years since the first incident.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.