Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Causes

Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

A few weeks after my colonoscopy I had some itching. I tried Prep-H, felt a little better but it never went away. After about 6 months of that I went to the doctor. I was diagnosed with an anal fissure and was given diltiazem. I was told to use it twice a day. I did not know what a fissure was or how the medication worked, so I used it after the bowel movement and not before. I then went back and was prescribed nitroglycerin, used that after bowel movement also because the doctors only told me to use it twice a day. Not before the bowel movement, just twice a day. Then I went to a specialist. She finally explained to me how I got this. A skin tag also appeared, which is no fun at all. I truly believe it was either due to the diarrhea during the preparation for the colonoscopy or the colonoscopy itself. I have never had constipation in my life. Now I am told I need surgery to heal this. There has to be another way because I am not doing the surgery.

Comment from: M. Harris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I first noticed a tearing pain during a bowel movement, in which I was constipated. It started to heal after a couple days of avoiding to go to the bathroom, but I had no choice but to go. I felt it re-tear at that point and every time I went to the restroom it got worse and worse. I had small anal tears before from constipation, which healed pretty fast.

Comment from: E.R.W., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My girlfriend has some anal tearing from sex.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?