Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Causes

Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.

Comment from: Ouch, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I went for a bowel movement and discovered that I had severe pain inside my anus. It seems the anal fissure was caused by use of an anal toy during intercourse.

Comment from: yvonne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

The feces of a very healthy diet just builds up and it takes too long for my body to realize I need to defecate. If I don't carefully use glycerin suppositories every 2 days the whole lot bulks up and gets dry right above the rectum and then it is expelled brutally by gas which has built up behind it. This tends to split my rectal area causing anal fissures.

Comment from: patty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

A few weeks after my colonoscopy I had some itching. I tried Prep-H, felt a little better but it never went away. After about 6 months of that I went to the doctor. I was diagnosed with an anal fissure and was given diltiazem. I was told to use it twice a day. I did not know what a fissure was or how the medication worked, so I used it after the bowel movement and not before. I then went back and was prescribed nitroglycerin, used that after bowel movement also because the doctors only told me to use it twice a day. Not before the bowel movement, just twice a day. Then I went to a specialist. She finally explained to me how I got this. A skin tag also appeared, which is no fun at all. I truly believe it was either due to the diarrhea during the preparation for the colonoscopy or the colonoscopy itself. I have never had constipation in my life. Now I am told I need surgery to heal this. There has to be another way because I am not doing the surgery.

Comment from: M. Harris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I first noticed a tearing pain during a bowel movement, in which I was constipated. It started to heal after a couple days of avoiding to go to the bathroom, but I had no choice but to go. I felt it re-tear at that point and every time I went to the restroom it got worse and worse. I had small anal tears before from constipation, which healed pretty fast.

Comment from: lyndakgb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I believe that my anal fissure started with a spider bite, although no one else concurs with that. My first symptom happened on a toilet while having a bowel movement, when I felt a sharp pain and then just a horrible burning sensation that took a long time to go away. While washing my hands afterwards, I saw a spider crawl out from under the lid. I didn't even believe that it bit me at the time, but now, 6 months of horrible pain later, it is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Comment from: Veteran, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

I have an anal fissure caused by a doctor in the VA (veteran affairs) system. I have been suffering now for over 2 years and also now have PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) from this.

Comment from: E.R.W., 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 25

My girlfriend has some anal tearing from sex.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms of anal fissure?