Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of anal fissure?

Comment from: PITA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I thought it was external hemorrhoids, but the protruding bags of skin along the edge of my anus turned out to be the skin tags caused by chronic anal fissures. The symptoms I've experienced include severe pain before, during and after some bowel movements (even normal ones, and not always), waking in the night with indescribable anal pain a couple times a month, and a constant feeling of pressure or fullness in my rectum. I was just diagnosed today, so I have had no treatment yet. Colonoscopy is to be scheduled in the next week or two.

Comment from: Peter maher, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Since I've had anal fissures, I have had thin stools. Also, I did a stool test and it was good, except it shows a red blood count (RBC) of 0-2. I don't know if this is normal.

Comment from: Ramesh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

While sitting during a long drive, I could feel pain and had an urgent need to urinate. A friend who is a doctor diagnosed my condition as an anal fissure. I've been undergoing treatment for the past couple of days and hope to recover soon.

Comment from: skeegeecle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have been checked by a surgeon who thinks my fissure is healing and has caused spasm; however, after using medication I continue to have much pain in my left low side and anal area after a movement after two months and no relief. I had a colonostomy a year ago, with no bad findings.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.