Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Symptoms

What were your symptoms of anal fissure?

Comment from: TM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I suffered with chronic anal fissures over the years on and off and when I had my first child two years ago, the pain was like nothing else, and has been ever since. I have tried all the creams over the years, and suppositories, and over the last year, I have had two Botox injections which seemed to help at the time, but my problem just won't go away! Anyone who has experienced this has my deepest sympathy as it is a pain like no other. I could cry thinking about it. I generally have a good diet but what I can and can't, should and shouldn't eat overrides my every thought. If ever I want a quick sandwich as am hungry, I immediately think, this is going to hurt tomorrow morning! I was advised by the surgeon that the next stage would be the controversial operation of cutting out the tear and stitching it but this can lead you to being mildly incontinent! I just feel at my wits end!

Comment from: LoriMah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I would describe the symptoms as mild to moderate pain in the beginning, quickly progressing to a stinging burning pain that feels like bee stings, thousands of bee stings. My rectum would begin to spasm during or shortly after every bowel movement, with shooting, stabbing 'zingers' and a deep, sharp ache which radiated to my vagina, around to my buttocks cheeks, and eventually down the back of both legs. I have a large sentinel tag, which I always thought was a thrombosed hemorrhoid when I felt it there before I was told what it was. Lots of creams and ointments later, I am scheduled for Botox injections in the internal sphincter on Friday. Stay tuned.

Comment from: PITA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I thought it was external hemorrhoids, but the protruding bags of skin along the edge of my anus turned out to be the skin tags caused by chronic anal fissures. The symptoms I've experienced include severe pain before, during and after some bowel movements (even normal ones, and not always), waking in the night with indescribable anal pain a couple times a month, and a constant feeling of pressure or fullness in my rectum. I was just diagnosed today, so I have had no treatment yet. Colonoscopy is to be scheduled in the next week or two.

Comment from: Peter maher, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

Since I've had anal fissures, I have had thin stools. Also, I did a stool test and it was good, except it shows a red blood count (RBC) of 0-2. I don't know if this is normal.

Comment from: Ramesh, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

While sitting during a long drive, I could feel pain and had an urgent need to urinate. A friend who is a doctor diagnosed my condition as an anal fissure. I've been undergoing treatment for the past couple of days and hope to recover soon.

Comment from: skeegeecle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have been checked by a surgeon who thinks my fissure is healing and has caused spasm; however, after using medication I continue to have much pain in my left low side and anal area after a movement after two months and no relief. I had a colonostomy a year ago, with no bad findings.

Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure?
Anal Fissure - Diagnosis Question: How was your anal fissure diagnosed?
Anal Fissure - Causes Question: Please discuss the cause of your anal fissure.