Patient Comments: Anal Cancer - Experiences

Please share your experiences with anal cancer.

Comment from: cured21yrs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Lucky for me I found the right doctors with the perfect treatments for anal cancer; chemotherapy and radiation, no surgery! The problems that are not mentioned are long-term with chemotherapy and radiation forced early onset menopause and over 10 years of bowel incontinence. The anal sphincter is less than effective and it has caused numerous changes in my life: Not going out of my home without the fear of an incident. Food is selected by time of day, activity levels and distance from a bathroom. Quality of life issues are extremely affected with little or no support.

Comment from: Jude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have experienced anal cancer twice and have been told due to having blood clots after my last chemotherapy treatment I would not be able to have additional chemotherapy should my cancer return. Over the past seven years I have had numerous surgeries to include removal of 12" of my colon and now live with a colostomy. I was a heavy smoker and stopped almost 25 years ago. I discovered a lump close to the anus. If I had been going to my obstetrician/gynecologist on a regular basis and not to just an internist my cancer may have been discovered sooner through an examination.

Comment from: Gladitsover, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I first noticed some bleeding and a mass in my anus. I went to a colorectal surgeon and had it removed. The mass was sent to the lab and it came back as cancer. I was told chemotherapy and radiation would be best. The radiation burns were terrible, took months to heal. Chemotherapy really didn't bother me much.

Anal Cancer - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your anal cancer?
Anal Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with anal cancer?