Patient Comments: Anal Cancer - Experiences

Please share your experiences with anal cancer.

Comment from: Jude, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have experienced anal cancer twice and have been told due to having blood clots after my last chemotherapy treatment I would not be able to have additional chemotherapy should my cancer return. Over the past seven years I have had numerous surgeries to include removal of 12" of my colon and now live with a colostomy. I was a heavy smoker and stopped almost 25 years ago. I discovered a lump close to the anus. If I had been going to my obstetrician/gynecologist on a regular basis and not to just an internist my cancer may have been discovered sooner through an examination.

Comment from: Gladitsover, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I first noticed some bleeding and a mass in my anus. I went to a colorectal surgeon and had it removed. The mass was sent to the lab and it came back as cancer. I was told chemotherapy and radiation would be best. The radiation burns were terrible, took months to heal. Chemotherapy really didn't bother me much.

Anal Cancer - Treatments Question: What treatment has been effective for your anal cancer?
Anal Cancer - Symptoms Question: What symptoms did you experience with anal cancer?