- What are oral anabolic steroids?
- What are examples of oral anabolic steroids available in the US?
- What are the side effects of oral anabolic steroids?
- What drugs interact with oral anabolic steroids?
- What formulations of oral anabolic steroids are available?
- What about taking oral anabolic steroids during pregnancy or while breastfeeding?
What are oral anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids are orally-ingested, synthetic (man-made) drugs that act like testosterone. They cause growth and development of male sexual organs, secondary sex characteristics, and increases in muscle size and strength. They are used for treating delayed puberty in boys, anemia, low muscle mass due to AIDs or HIV, breast cancer, and for replacing testosterone in men with low testosterone levels. Anabolic steroids often are abused by athletes for increasing muscle mass and performance. Non-athletes and non-competitive body builders also abuse anabolic steroids for cosmetic reasons.
What are examples of oral anabolic steroids available in the US?
What are the side effects of oral anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids have many side effects because testosterone, which they mimic, has many effects in the body. The long list if side effects from anabolic steroids include:
- shrinking of testicles,
- breast enlargement (gynecomastia),
- low sperm count,
- increased hair growth,
- deeper voice and reduced breast size in women,
- high blood pressure,
- heart attack,
- high cholesterol,
- violence and
Quick GuideEnlarged Prostate (BPH) Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.