Patient Comments: ALS - Early Symptoms

What ALS symptoms did you notice early in the course of the disease?

Comment from: Nettie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

My ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) symptoms started out with a "foot drop" on my left foot. From there my left leg lost all muscle tone and now the entire left leg muscles are gone. Also my fingers and thumbs "contract" at times. Left arm is losing muscle tone too.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

With ALS, my first sign that something was wrong, was my slurred speech. And then the inability to eat without getting choked, strangled, and coughing.

Comment from: Crzijane, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I have ADHD, OCD, depression, primary biliary cirrhosis (autoimmune disease) and ALS. I didn't have health care I just thought it was a stroke, but it started with my voice. When it started to get worse I went to a neurologist.

ALS - Treatment Question: Have you or someone you know tried riluzole? Please discuss your experience.
ALS - Experience Question: Have you or someone you know been diagnosed with ALS? Please share your experience.
ALS - Research Question: Have you, a friend, or relative participated in a research study for ALS? Please share your story.