Patient Comments: Alzheimer's Disease - Treatments

What stage of Alzheimer's disease are you or your loved one currently experiencing, and have any treatments been effective?

Comment from: ljc22, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

I had a spinal tap 15 years ago for pseudotumor cerebri. I couldn't believe all the colors I could see afterwards. It took them 3 times to get into my spine and it really hurt but it got the pressure down in my brain. My doctor thinks my pressure is up again so in 2 days I need another spinal tap. I'm scared because 10 years ago I had a tumor taken out of my lumbar region and I'm afraid they are going to mess it up.

Comment from: Marilyn, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 28

My husband was diagnosed about 3 years ago with Alzheimer's disease. In the past year or so he gets confused with me. He talks to me in the 3rd person and tells me everything that has happened when I was with him. I still work and he is at home with our dog. He calls me every morning between 8:30 and 9:00. When I am not at work he stills insists on phoning me. He has always been a very happy man, but recently has started being very argumentative and gets annoyed easily.

Comment from: Joycie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My husband was told he had Alzheimer's and the doctor told us to start preparing for the future. They did an APOE 3/4 blood test. He was still working and had to take a lower pay because he could not do math on contracts. He was in the 1st stage. After being on Aricept and then Namenda 4 years he seemed to get some better. He still drives some but I do most of the driving. He gets very angry at nothing and tells me that I have Alzheimer's and he takes the meds. This all started 1992.

Alzheimer's Disease - Symptoms Question: Please describe the symptoms you or loved one experienced with Alzheimer's disease.
Alzheimer's Disease - Caregiver Question: What tips do you have for caregivers of someone with Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Dementia Question: Has a friend or relative been diagnosed with dementia? What are her/his symptoms?
Alzheimer's Disease - Warning Signs Question: Do you have any of the warning signs of Alzheimer's? Please discuss your symptoms and concerns.
Alzheimer's Disease - Home Safety Question: In what ways have you made the home safer for a friend or relative with Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Medications Question: If your relative is on a medication for Alzheimer's, what changes have you noticed?
Alzheimer's Disease - Psychiatric Symptoms Question: Please share your experience in managing the psychiatric symptoms of someone with Alzheimer's disease.
Alzheimer's Disease - Experience Question: Do someone you love have Alzheimer's disease? Please share your experience.