Patient Comments: Alzheimer's Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe the symptoms you or loved one experienced with Alzheimer's disease.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My mother-in-law has had Alzheimer's for almost five years now. She is only 66 years old. She cries all day and some of the night. It is because she hallucinates all day and night, fighting with this girl who wants to take her money and food. It is really heartbreaking to see her like this. I have to give her a lot of drugs to help her sleep. She has vivid nightmares and is scared all the time. Now she is having difficulty remembering to swallow. We are just trying to make it from day to day. We are considering putting her in a home, but it is a very difficult decision to make.

Comment from: Gatormama, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 25

My dad was an incredibly smart man, so to see him with Alzheimer's is heartbreaking. My step mother and I had to put him in a nursing home on their 32nd wedding anniversary. She just could not care for him at home anymore. She has done a great job taking care of him for about five years, but it is too hard now. Sometimes I look at him, and I think he knows who I am even though he has not said my name in years. It is bad enough when your parent dies and you can no longer communicate with them, but I think it might be worse when you can sit with them and still not be able to really talk to them. It is hard to explain to my children what is wrong with him, but I hope they learn about unconditional love by watching and helping us take care of him. I would not wish this disease on my worst enemy, and I pray my kids don't experience this with me.

Published: July 29

My husband first experienced confusion and loss of memory in March of 2000 while undergoing rehab for alcoholism. Being home seemed to help him until 2006 when he gradually began experiencing dementia and/or Alzheimer's symptoms. He now has four to five hours a day where he wants to get a "greyhound" to "go home." Also, he thinks I am his sister and believes he has rented a car (he hasn't driven in five to six years). His personal hygiene is in the tank — it's necessary for him to change two to three times a day. He dresses himself with help when he has an accident in his clothes. Without long-term insurance for his care, it is becoming stressful to care from him.

Comment from: Missie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My mother who is 87 and has dementia is a very difficult case. She refuses any doctor visit and gets extremely agitated when she is asked to do so. She thinks all we (children) want to do is have her committed or put in a home. We want to get her some professional help but just refuses. She cries a lot and frequently asks us to take her home to be with her parents and siblings which are all deceased for many years.

Comment from: malcolm, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

Alzheimer's Disease - Treatments Question: What stage of Alzheimer's disease are you or your loved one currently experiencing, and have any treatments been effective?
Alzheimer's Disease - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your friend or relative who has Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Dementia Question: Has a friend or relative been diagnosed with dementia? What are her/his symptoms?
Alzheimer's Disease - Warning Signs Question: Do you have any of the warning signs of Alzheimer's? Please discuss your symptoms and concerns.
Alzheimer's Disease - Home Safety Question: In what ways have you made the home safer for a friend or relative with Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Medications Question: If your relative is on a medication for Alzheimer's, what changes have you noticed?
Alzheimer's Disease - Driving Question: What motivated you to take away the keys or car from your loved one who has Alzheimer's?