Patient Comments: Alzheimer's Disease - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms you or loved one experienced with Alzheimer's disease.

Comment from: skeeter01, 35-44 Female Published: May 07

I was engaged to a man I worked with. He was in incredible physical shape, worked offshore, and was a very talented musician. After living with him for three months, it became very clear that something was very wrong. He had had a hip replacement surgery, and he told me the surgeons told him the medication they gave him during surgery would cause short-term memory loss. Well, a year later, he still had memory loss. I tried to get him to go to the doctor, but it didn't work. (Just give it some more time!) He could not handle his finances, nor make decisions. His teenagers would let him know in advance of their weekend plans, but he would forget and yell at them for not keeping him informed. He was 50 years old and had no known history of Alzheimer's in his family. I broke the engagement because I didn't quite understand what was going on and because one night he became physical and I couldn't control him.) His son called me to tell me that his dad had been officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. I feel guilty that I didn't figure that out, but I didn't realize that someone his age could get it too! Thank God, he has other family to take care of him, because I left. Pay attention to the younger people too!

Comment from: Ann, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 16

Recently my client experienced an Alzheimer's episode that landed her in the hospital and I believe some form of dementia has set in. She's not the same and I had noticed over the past few weeks that her mind was dwindling.

Comment from: deanchilton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I am 60 and about 11 1/2 years ago I noticed that I was forgetting things that my wife and children were telling me. As time has progressed my memory has gotten worse and I have other symptoms of Alzheimer's. I know longer drive because I fall asleep at the wheel. I can not sleep very wetland my appetite is very bad. I have not been to a doctor yet.

Comment from: riffyone, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

My mom is in the last stages of the disease and has stopped speaking for the most part. Her name is and she was a vibrant, active person before this disease took over her mind and body. She was a force to be reckoned with and always did things in her own way no matter what. I know that there is no cure for this disease but it is vital that everyone knows how important it is to find one. I have written a book describing the journey from the beginning until now and provided resources, information and more for anyone that needs to get help.

Comment from: ritamco, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

I just came out of a relationship with a 70-year-old man (I am 11 years younger). I am sure he has the beginning symptoms of Alzheimer's and my life/our relationship got drained by it (not that I did not love him, or did not want to take care of him). I started to realize very disturbing patterns early on: yelling fits for no reason, then asking me three days in a row the same question about a building while we were visiting Brussels. When I would say, "I already told you," he would start yelling at me. There were so many other signs: buying the same books (not remembering having it at home), not remembering when pills were taken, not remembering even that a certain book I asked him to read was given to him by one of his best friends for his birthday only a couple of weeks earlier. I reminded him constantly of appointments, calls to make, and where he had placed stuff he could not find. (We lived in the Village in a tiny apartment.) I was a "new" girlfriend, so it was very delicate. I could not talk to his children about this, nor to his brother because he was convinced there was absolutely nothing wrong with him. If I dared bring up the subject, I would receive another yelling fit with abusive language.

Comment from: Malini, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

Total loss of memory of recent events, as recent as few seconds but remembers name of place, people and few incidents of childhood. Extremely fidgety, does not rest on the bed or sits on a chair for more than 3 to 4 minutes at a stretch. Likes to have lots of relatives around, mostly listens to them talking, can comprehend conversation in part. Repeats act or some past event which can go on for the entire day. Hallucinates a lot seeing things including people living or dead. She is diabetic and has been suffering from angina past 20 years.

Comment from: mimosa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My aunt, no real relation, has become increasingly forgetful since my mom passed away. They had been good friends since I was a baby. In the last month she has lost three sets of keys to her house and my father's house also. My dad who is her landlord will not give her another set since we don't know where she is leaving them. She walks around with two hair pins and tell us that those are her keys, but they won't work on the lock. She misplaces her money and we try to help her find it in her little apartment to no avail. She forgets everything we tell her in seconds, but easily remembers the past. If we don't make sure she eats everyday I am sure she would go without food. She says she is going to do something and quickly forgets what she was supposed to do. Anything we ask her, her stock answer is I don't know. Still, she is not aggressive, she has good appetite as long as food is provided and I have not noticed poor hygiene, I do think she doesn't do laundry anymore. She won't go to the doctor and we have no rights to force her, and because she is loving and remembers all of us we are not ready to breach the problem with her. Once in a while she will smile and sadly say she is a mess and can't remember much. I am torn by how fast she is declining, she was the smartest woman I ever had the privilege to know aside my own mother. We are at a crossroads with her and do not know what to do for her but continue to love her and do what we can to make sure she is okay without trespassing into her private life.

Alzheimer's Disease - Treatments Question: What stage of Alzheimer's disease are you or your loved one currently experiencing, and have any treatments been effective?
Alzheimer's Disease - Caregiver Question: What tips do you have for caregivers of someone with Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Dementia Question: Has a friend or relative been diagnosed with dementia? What are her/his symptoms?
Alzheimer's Disease - Warning Signs Question: Do you have any of the warning signs of Alzheimer's? Please discuss your symptoms and concerns.
Alzheimer's Disease - Home Safety Question: In what ways have you made the home safer for a friend or relative with Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Medications Question: If your relative is on a medication for Alzheimer's, what changes have you noticed?
Alzheimer's Disease - Driving Question: What motivated you to take away the keys or car from your loved one who has Alzheimer's?
Alzheimer's Disease - Experience Question: Do someone you love have Alzheimer's disease? Please share your experience.