Patient Comments: Alzheimer's Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe the symptoms you or loved one experienced with Alzheimer's disease.

Comment from: ritamco, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 03

I just came out of a relationship with a 70-year-old man (I am 11 years younger). I am sure he has the beginning symptoms of Alzheimer's and my life/our relationship got drained by it (not that I did not love him, or did not want to take care of him). I started to realize very disturbing patterns early on: yelling fits for no reason, then asking me three days in a row the same question about a building while we were visiting Brussels. When I would say, "I already told you," he would start yelling at me. There were so many other signs: buying the same books (not remembering having it at home), not remembering when pills were taken, not remembering even that a certain book I asked him to read was given to him by one of his best friends for his birthday only a couple of weeks earlier. I reminded him constantly of appointments, calls to make, and where he had placed stuff he could not find. (We lived in the Village in a tiny apartment.) I was a "new" girlfriend, so it was very delicate. I could not talk to his children about this, nor to his brother because he was convinced there was absolutely nothing wrong with him. If I dared bring up the subject, I would receive another yelling fit with abusive language.

Comment from: deanchilton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I am 60 and about 11 1/2 years ago I noticed that I was forgetting things that my wife and children were telling me. As time has progressed my memory has gotten worse and I have other symptoms of Alzheimer's. I know longer drive because I fall asleep at the wheel. I can not sleep very wetland my appetite is very bad. I have not been to a doctor yet.

Comment from: riffyone, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

My mom is in the last stages of the disease and has stopped speaking for the most part. Her name is and she was a vibrant, active person before this disease took over her mind and body. She was a force to be reckoned with and always did things in her own way no matter what. I know that there is no cure for this disease but it is vital that everyone knows how important it is to find one. I have written a book describing the journey from the beginning until now and provided resources, information and more for anyone that needs to get help.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

This morning, I became extremely disoriented. I got up as usual, made and drank my coffee w/biscotti as usual. When I went to the bathroom, I suddenly found myself almost at the point of complete unknowing. I finished my preparation and intended to go shopping. I didn't think it was wise to do so, so instead I rested in an easy chair for the remainder of the morning I then went to the store and purchased some BBQ ribs. Came home, ate some and then decided to not to try to do anything else. I decided to go to the computer and try to make sense out of this. I recently had a treadmill at my doctors office and I am scheduled for a thallium tread mill on the 9th of July. I think I may be developing something. I am 72 (born 1936) and have a history of some cardio related symptoms (pvcs). What is going on? I need some assistance with information I live alone. Am I getting Alzheimer's?

Comment from: frances, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 24

My mom is 88 years old she will be 89 the 13 of August. It is a blessing to have her with us. She is diagnosed with dementia. Her memory is still good but she keeps asking the same things over and over. Her mobility is limited. She is getting more feeble in the last 6 months. She doesn't know if it's night or day and if she is watching TV she thinks that is real and happening in real life and also she is afraid of a lot of things I hope this is helpful to others.

Comment from: Malini, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

Total loss of memory of recent events, as recent as few seconds but remembers name of place, people and few incidents of childhood. Extremely fidgety, does not rest on the bed or sits on a chair for more than 3 to 4 minutes at a stretch. Likes to have lots of relatives around, mostly listens to them talking, can comprehend conversation in part. Repeats act or some past event which can go on for the entire day. Hallucinates a lot seeing things including people living or dead. She is diabetic and has been suffering from angina past 20 years.

Comment from: mimosa, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

My aunt, no real relation, has become increasingly forgetful since my mom passed away. They had been good friends since I was a baby. In the last month she has lost three sets of keys to her house and my father's house also. My dad who is her landlord will not give her another set since we don't know where she is leaving them. She walks around with two hair pins and tell us that those are her keys, but they won't work on the lock. She misplaces her money and we try to help her find it in her little apartment to no avail. She forgets everything we tell her in seconds, but easily remembers the past. If we don't make sure she eats everyday I am sure she would go without food. She says she is going to do something and quickly forgets what she was supposed to do. Anything we ask her, her stock answer is I don't know. Still, she is not aggressive, she has good appetite as long as food is provided and I have not noticed poor hygiene, I do think she doesn't do laundry anymore. She won't go to the doctor and we have no rights to force her, and because she is loving and remembers all of us we are not ready to breach the problem with her. Once in a while she will smile and sadly say she is a mess and can't remember much. I am torn by how fast she is declining, she was the smartest woman I ever had the privilege to know aside my own mother. We are at a crossroads with her and do not know what to do for her but continue to love her and do what we can to make sure she is okay without trespassing into her private life.

Alzheimer's Disease - Treatments Question: What stage of Alzheimer's disease are you or your loved one currently experiencing, and have any treatments been effective?
Alzheimer's Disease - Prognosis Question: What is the prognosis for your friend or relative who has Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Dementia Question: Has a friend or relative been diagnosed with dementia? What are her/his symptoms?
Alzheimer's Disease - Warning Signs Question: Do you have any of the warning signs of Alzheimer's? Please discuss your symptoms and concerns.
Alzheimer's Disease - Home Safety Question: In what ways have you made the home safer for a friend or relative with Alzheimer's disease?
Alzheimer's Disease - Medications Question: If your relative is on a medication for Alzheimer's, what changes have you noticed?
Alzheimer's Disease - Driving Question: What motivated you to take away the keys or car from your loved one who has Alzheimer's?