Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Comment from: Marli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I suffered from severe hot flashes of menopause, up to 4 per hour and the subsequent chills, depression and fatigue for 6 years. I tried hormone replacement therapy for a year, then Effexor (didn't work) and Estroven OTC. Finally I found Smoky Mountain Naturals cream, Estro-Life and Progesto-Life. It takes about 6 weeks to work well but I swear it saved my sanity. I went off it once and the symptoms came back gradually but just as bad. Now I make sure to order it early. My skin and nails improved greatly also. I also found that reading books about menopause helped me realize that I wasn't crazy.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have found that half of a Benadryl pill about every 3 to 4 hours works best for my hot flashes of menopause. I hope it is ok to be on a constant low dose of Benadryl all of the time. My hot flashes, night sweats and anxiety from menopause are much better. I take a whole pill at bedtime. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Comment from: JG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had been plagued by hot flashes for over 5 years. I had many during the day, and at the worst, every hour during the night. Black cohosh worked for a while, and meclizine worked wonders, but only temporarily. About 18 months ago I started taking Vitex Fruit, a chasteberry product by Nature's Way. It's been a godsend! My hot flashes and night sweats are greatly reduced both in number and intensity! The product is very inexpensive, and I have only been able to find it through Swanson Vitamins. I tried a different chasteberry product from GNC, but it didn't work like the Vitex. You have to take it for about three weeks before you start to see results, but stick with it, you will see results!

Comment from: Leisa364, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have started taking black cohosh extract for hot flashes of menopause. I no longer have night sweats and my hot flashes during the day have decreased. I may get about two during the day. You cannot take it on an empty stomach, it will make you sick.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My My GP prescribed Effexor in January. Hot flashes were frequent each day (and also at night), plus I felt anxious, was crabby (not usual for me) with no tolerance for stupidity! I also had difficulty sleeping, so lack of sleep wasn't helping my general frame of mind. I didn't feel like "myself" and I often wondered where an outburst had come from! After about 3 weeks, the hot flashes disappeared and I was ecstatic. After another 3-4 weeks I felt back to normal again no mood swings, I didn't feel anxious etc. and sleep was back to normal. After about 3 months, though, I started to get a bit anxious again, so I went to max dose of XR. It's now July and I feel great except the hot flashes are as regular as they were before I started, and have been for around the last 5 months. I have tried Black Cohosh, "Harmony" tablets no noticeable difference. I am now resigned to having to put up with them, and always carry an elegant fan, so I can help my face cool down. With each hot flash, the sweat (it's not perspiration or a "glow") runs down my face and neck, and down my back. It's horrible, but what can I do? Thank goodness for Effexor, though.

Comment from: me2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Half a Benadryl when a hot flash starts and it keeps them away for hours. Otherwise it's constant torture.

Comment from: Dmh1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have accidentally discovered that Benadryl has also tremendously helped out with decreasing the number of hot flashes I have in a day.

Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try?
Hot Flashes of Menopause - Alternative Treatments Question: Did you receive an alternative treatment for your lymphocytic colitis? If so, what was it?