Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Comment from: JG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had been plagued by hot flashes for over 5 years. I had many during the day, and at the worst, every hour during the night. Black cohosh worked for a while, and meclizine worked wonders, but only temporarily. About 18 months ago I started taking Vitex Fruit, a chasteberry product by Nature's Way. It's been a godsend! My hot flashes and night sweats are greatly reduced both in number and intensity! The product is very inexpensive, and I have only been able to find it through Swanson Vitamins. I tried a different chasteberry product from GNC, but it didn't work like the Vitex. You have to take it for about three weeks before you start to see results, but stick with it, you will see results!

Comment from: Leisa364, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have started taking black cohosh extract for hot flashes of menopause. I no longer have night sweats and my hot flashes during the day have decreased. I may get about two during the day. You cannot take it on an empty stomach, it will make you sick.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My My GP prescribed Effexor in January. Hot flashes were frequent each day (and also at night), plus I felt anxious, was crabby (not usual for me) with no tolerance for stupidity! I also had difficulty sleeping, so lack of sleep wasn't helping my general frame of mind. I didn't feel like "myself" and I often wondered where an outburst had come from! After about 3 weeks, the hot flashes disappeared and I was ecstatic. After another 3-4 weeks I felt back to normal again no mood swings, I didn't feel anxious etc. and sleep was back to normal. After about 3 months, though, I started to get a bit anxious again, so I went to max dose of XR. It's now July and I feel great except the hot flashes are as regular as they were before I started, and have been for around the last 5 months. I have tried Black Cohosh, "Harmony" tablets no noticeable difference. I am now resigned to having to put up with them, and always carry an elegant fan, so I can help my face cool down. With each hot flash, the sweat (it's not perspiration or a "glow") runs down my face and neck, and down my back. It's horrible, but what can I do? Thank goodness for Effexor, though.

Comment from: me2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Half a Benadryl when a hot flash starts and it keeps them away for hours. Otherwise it's constant torture.

Comment from: Dmh1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have accidentally discovered that Benadryl has also tremendously helped out with decreasing the number of hot flashes I have in a day.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a 57 year old woman. I have been experiencing hot flashes for about 10 years, they don't improve once you stop getting your period. I don't take anything for them. I know soy doesn't work - tried that. I just put up with them and minimize them by trying to keep my core body temperature cool.

Comment from: LC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

For hot flashes that wake you up at night and interrupt your sleep cycle I have found that Maca Root by Whole World Botanicals helps to stop the horrible night hot flashes. I take 2 for the day time and 2 before bedtime. They are a blessing and absolutely no side effects!

Comment from: dripping, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a 63 year-old woman who has experienced severe hot flashes since my mid-40s. HRT controlled the hot flashes, but that was stopped after 10 years, at which time the severe hot flashes resumed. With a little anxiety like a party, getting ready for work, a small glass of wine, I have dripping hot flashes from my face/neck area. I never go anywhere without a fan. NSAIDs for arthritis, Effexor XL, and Prilosec are my only meds. Xanax taken as needed helps a little. I am miserable, embarrassed, several times a week; have gotten used to night sweats. Black cohosh and soy products have been unsuccessful.

Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try?
Hot Flashes of Menopause - Alternative Treatments Question: Did you receive an alternative treatment for your lymphocytic colitis? If so, what was it?