Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My My GP prescribed Effexor in January. Hot flashes were frequent each day (and also at night), plus I felt anxious, was crabby (not usual for me) with no tolerance for stupidity! I also had difficulty sleeping, so lack of sleep wasn't helping my general frame of mind. I didn't feel like "myself" and I often wondered where an outburst had come from! After about 3 weeks, the hot flashes disappeared and I was ecstatic. After another 3-4 weeks I felt back to normal again no mood swings, I didn't feel anxious etc. and sleep was back to normal. After about 3 months, though, I started to get a bit anxious again, so I went to max dose of XR. It's now July and I feel great except the hot flashes are as regular as they were before I started, and have been for around the last 5 months. I have tried Black Cohosh, "Harmony" tablets no noticeable difference. I am now resigned to having to put up with them, and always carry an elegant fan, so I can help my face cool down. With each hot flash, the sweat (it's not perspiration or a "glow") runs down my face and neck, and down my back. It's horrible, but what can I do? Thank goodness for Effexor, though.

Comment from: LC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

For hot flashes that wake you up at night and interrupt your sleep cycle I have found that Maca Root by Whole World Botanicals helps to stop the horrible night hot flashes. I take 2 for the day time and 2 before bedtime. They are a blessing and absolutely no side effects!

Comment from: dripping, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a 63 year-old woman who has experienced severe hot flashes since my mid-40s. HRT controlled the hot flashes, but that was stopped after 10 years, at which time the severe hot flashes resumed. With a little anxiety like a party, getting ready for work, a small glass of wine, I have dripping hot flashes from my face/neck area. I never go anywhere without a fan. NSAIDs for arthritis, Effexor XL, and Prilosec are my only meds. Xanax taken as needed helps a little. I am miserable, embarrassed, several times a week; have gotten used to night sweats. Black cohosh and soy products have been unsuccessful.

Comment from: nanabasic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had to have a complete hysterectomy when I was still relatively young. I was put on HRT and was on it for about 15 years. By then, my physicians had heard that for people with a family history of breast cancer, and mine has a strong history, we should probably not use HRT as it adds more risk. So, they just took me off the HRT cold turkey. I then had many of the same symptoms as anyone would with menopause. I found an herbalist who gave me a product she called menopause formula. It had one pill for the morning and one for the evening. It had black cohosh and valerian in the evening pill, and I don't remember what the morning pill consisted of, I wish I did. I had no side effects and was able to focus more during the day and sleep at night and had 0 hot flashes on them. I slowly weaned myself from these and have been fine since. I truly wish that I could find this lady now as my daughter is going through having a hysterectomy. She has the hot flashes, sudden mood swings, night sweats and can't sleep well. I will continue to look until I find the same type treatment for her, as I firmly believe in this alternative medication.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 62 and have had severe and frequent hot flashes for 13 years! I am in a high-risk group for breast cancer, so HRT was not a possibility. Four years ago, my doctor suggested trying 37.5 mg of Effexor XR daily. After trying other supposed remedies without success, I was astounded that it worked! It was a miracle treatment for me. I occasionally get mild hot flashes, but nothing like the severe ones I had before. Unfortunately, my health insurance will not pay for the medicine and it is $100 for 30 tablets. So, I pay for it out of pocket, and it is worth every penny!

Comment from: Weeniebeep, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

I was told from many in the medical field the soy only works if it's in your diet not in pill form and that is why Japanese women do not have these menopausal symptoms, soy is part of their diet.

Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try?
Hot Flashes of Menopause - Alternative Treatments Question: Did you receive an alternative treatment for your lymphocytic colitis? If so, what was it?