Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Comment from: Lady crimson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I began having night sweats in my late 30s and began taking black cohosh herbal supplements. This alone was successful for about three years, however, last year the hot flashes began to increase to several hours daily, and I resorted to prescription Estodial. Within the year, I increased the Estodial dosage to 1 mg daily in the morning followed by taking two herbal estrogen supplements at night, which contain black cohosh and a number of other supplements. This combination gives me the best benefit and restful sleep, which results in an overall better ability to cope emotionally and mentally with my day.

Comment from: Lynn B., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have been taking Estrol Natural extra strength for a month now. I see no effect for my hot flashes. I stopped taking this product for a week now and I have as many hot flashes now as when I was taking this product.

Comment from: penny, 45-54 Female Published: August 17

I'm 47 and not sure if I'm experiencing hot flushes, I've been feeling warm then slight itchy feeling on my arms like I'm due on a period, happens through out the day evening very hard to explain the feeling really.

Comment from: cwe6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have had hot flashes for a year now on and off. I use meclizine such as Dramamine to help with mine. It's for motion sickness, so I found out by shear accident that it works for hot flashes too. I take it every night before bed until I go 24 hours without an episode. Sometimes I can wait a week or two before taking it again, but it has also lasted several months without an episode. When the hot flashes are very severe it takes longer for the medication to work but it gradually gets better until they go away completely. I have a friend who also uses it now for her hot flashes and we both swear by it.

Comment from: Sarah, Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I've been having hot flashes, and I've been using a fan to cool myself off. I've read about different techniques with ice cubes, etc., but that's not convenient.

Comment from: maymel97, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I started to have night sweats in my mid forties. They were not bad enough to interrupt my sleep; I just woke up damp around the neck. At 54 my period stopped. The hot flashes started and they came about one per hour. This was the worst feeling especially during the summer months. I tried several over the counter natural supplements to no avail. I finally called my OBGYN and was prescribed Activella It seems to be working, but I hope to discontinue use within a year. I hope my hot flashes don't last for 5 yrs.!

Comment from: patrick58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I might be experiencing hot flashes after a period of 2 years without them; I started having them in my late 40's. The hot flashes diminished after a few years. I am now 58, and when urinating (with urgency), experience an intense sweating, and it feels like fever. Are these hot flashes, or is this common when urinating? Or are these fevers? Does anyone else experience this?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

Due to medical problems I had a hysterectomy at age 40. I had horrible hot flashes especially at night and couldn't get a decent night's sleep. I was falling asleep at my job and basically was exhausted throughout the day. Because several members of my immediate family have had breast cancer HRT's were out of the question. My doctor prescribed Bellergal-s and it worked miracles I was finally able to sleep through the night and stay awake during the day. Unfortunately, the medication is no longer available and I am at my wits end!

Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try?
Hot Flashes of Menopause - Alternative Treatments Question: Did you receive an alternative treatment for your lymphocytic colitis? If so, what was it?