Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Comment from: soccergranny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was able to have my compounding pharmacy make a version of bellergal-s, and that has helped my menopause symptoms.

Comment from: cynfran2006, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

While suffering the hot flashes you describe, I was visiting at the time with my sister-in-law from Germany. She advised me to drink soy milk daily. I began the test to see if soy milk would help with hot flashes and finally was able to bring it down to 2 regular sized glasses of soy milk everyday would reduce quite significantly the extent and experiences of hot flashes.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am 70 years old and still have hot flashes. A generic medicine with belladona/ergotamine/phenobarbital was prescribed. It stopped the flashes and enabled me to get six hours of uninterrupted sleep. They have stopped making the product, and I can't find a similar one.

Comment from: Lady crimson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I began having night sweats in my late 30s and began taking black cohosh herbal supplements. This alone was successful for about three years, however, last year the hot flashes began to increase to several hours daily, and I resorted to prescription Estodial. Within the year, I increased the Estodial dosage to 1 mg daily in the morning followed by taking two herbal estrogen supplements at night, which contain black cohosh and a number of other supplements. This combination gives me the best benefit and restful sleep, which results in an overall better ability to cope emotionally and mentally with my day.

Comment from: cwe6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have had hot flashes for a year now on and off. I use meclizine such as Dramamine to help with mine. It's for motion sickness, so I found out by shear accident that it works for hot flashes too. I take it every night before bed until I go 24 hours without an episode. Sometimes I can wait a week or two before taking it again, but it has also lasted several months without an episode. When the hot flashes are very severe it takes longer for the medication to work but it gradually gets better until they go away completely. I have a friend who also uses it now for her hot flashes and we both swear by it.

Comment from: Sarah, Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I've been having hot flashes, and I've been using a fan to cool myself off. I've read about different techniques with ice cubes, etc., but that's not convenient.

Comment from: maymel97, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I started to have night sweats in my mid forties. They were not bad enough to interrupt my sleep; I just woke up damp around the neck. At 54 my period stopped. The hot flashes started and they came about one per hour. This was the worst feeling especially during the summer months. I tried several over the counter natural supplements to no avail. I finally called my OBGYN and was prescribed Activella It seems to be working, but I hope to discontinue use within a year. I hope my hot flashes don't last for 5 yrs.!

Comment from: patrick58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I might be experiencing hot flashes after a period of 2 years without them; I started having them in my late 40's. The hot flashes diminished after a few years. I am now 58, and when urinating (with urgency), experience an intense sweating, and it feels like fever. Are these hot flashes, or is this common when urinating? Or are these fevers? Does anyone else experience this?

Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try?
Hot Flashes of Menopause - Alternative Treatments Question: Did you receive an alternative treatment for your lymphocytic colitis? If so, what was it?