Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Comment from: Dmh1972, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have accidentally discovered that Benadryl has also tremendously helped out with decreasing the number of hot flashes I have in a day.

Comment from: LC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

For hot flashes that wake you up at night and interrupt your sleep cycle I have found that Maca Root by Whole World Botanicals helps to stop the horrible night hot flashes. I take 2 for the day time and 2 before bedtime. They are a blessing and absolutely no side effects!

Comment from: dripping, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am a 63 year-old woman who has experienced severe hot flashes since my mid-40s. HRT controlled the hot flashes, but that was stopped after 10 years, at which time the severe hot flashes resumed. With a little anxiety like a party, getting ready for work, a small glass of wine, I have dripping hot flashes from my face/neck area. I never go anywhere without a fan. NSAIDs for arthritis, Effexor XL, and Prilosec are my only meds. Xanax taken as needed helps a little. I am miserable, embarrassed, several times a week; have gotten used to night sweats. Black cohosh and soy products have been unsuccessful.

Comment from: nanabasic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had to have a complete hysterectomy when I was still relatively young. I was put on HRT and was on it for about 15 years. By then, my physicians had heard that for people with a family history of breast cancer, and mine has a strong history, we should probably not use HRT as it adds more risk. So, they just took me off the HRT cold turkey. I then had many of the same symptoms as anyone would with menopause. I found an herbalist who gave me a product she called menopause formula. It had one pill for the morning and one for the evening. It had black cohosh and valerian in the evening pill, and I don't remember what the morning pill consisted of, I wish I did. I had no side effects and was able to focus more during the day and sleep at night and had 0 hot flashes on them. I slowly weaned myself from these and have been fine since. I truly wish that I could find this lady now as my daughter is going through having a hysterectomy. She has the hot flashes, sudden mood swings, night sweats and can't sleep well. I will continue to look until I find the same type treatment for her, as I firmly believe in this alternative medication.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 62 and have had severe and frequent hot flashes for 13 years! I am in a high-risk group for breast cancer, so HRT was not a possibility. Four years ago, my doctor suggested trying 37.5 mg of Effexor XR daily. After trying other supposed remedies without success, I was astounded that it worked! It was a miracle treatment for me. I occasionally get mild hot flashes, but nothing like the severe ones I had before. Unfortunately, my health insurance will not pay for the medicine and it is $100 for 30 tablets. So, I pay for it out of pocket, and it is worth every penny!

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have found the best thing for eliminating hot flashes and night sweats. It's a product called Soy Balance. You can purchase it over the counter, and it works wonders, at least for me. When I don't take it, my hot flashes and night sweats are unbearable. When I continue to take it, I have no symptoms. I hope this information helps.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I happened to come into contact with poison ivy this summer (first time ever) and had a very severe reaction. The doctor prescribed steroids to help, and I also switched from Claritin (for my allergies) to Benadryl (to help the itching). Four weeks later, when I was finished with my poison ivy, I realized that while I was suffering with the rash, I didn't have any hot flashes. I went back to my routine with Claritin and noticed the hot flashes were back. The next day, I switched back to the Benadryl and the hot flashes were only a few a day, and they weren't as “hot” as before. Twice I have switched back to Claritin to see if it was the Benedryl that was really helping, and it seemed it did.

Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try?
Hot Flashes of Menopause - Alternative Treatments Question: Did you receive an alternative treatment for your lymphocytic colitis? If so, what was it?