Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Comment from: Lynn B., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have been taking Estrol Natural extra strength for a month now. I see no effect for my hot flashes. I stopped taking this product for a week now and I have as many hot flashes now as when I was taking this product.

Comment from: penny, 45-54 Female Published: August 17

I'm 47 and not sure if I'm experiencing hot flushes, I've been feeling warm then slight itchy feeling on my arms like I'm due on a period, happens through out the day evening very hard to explain the feeling really.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I am 62 and have had severe and frequent hot flashes for 13 years! I am in a high-risk group for breast cancer, so HRT was not a possibility. Four years ago, my doctor suggested trying 37.5 mg of Effexor XR daily. After trying other supposed remedies without success, I was astounded that it worked! It was a miracle treatment for me. I occasionally get mild hot flashes, but nothing like the severe ones I had before. Unfortunately, my health insurance will not pay for the medicine and it is $100 for 30 tablets. So, I pay for it out of pocket, and it is worth every penny!

Comment from: Tammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have found the best thing for eliminating hot flashes and night sweats. It's a product called Soy Balance. You can purchase it over the counter, and it works wonders, at least for me. When I don't take it, my hot flashes and night sweats are unbearable. When I continue to take it, I have no symptoms. I hope this information helps.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I happened to come into contact with poison ivy this summer (first time ever) and had a very severe reaction. The doctor prescribed steroids to help, and I also switched from Claritin (for my allergies) to Benadryl (to help the itching). Four weeks later, when I was finished with my poison ivy, I realized that while I was suffering with the rash, I didn't have any hot flashes. I went back to my routine with Claritin and noticed the hot flashes were back. The next day, I switched back to the Benadryl and the hot flashes were only a few a day, and they weren't as “hot” as before. Twice I have switched back to Claritin to see if it was the Benedryl that was really helping, and it seemed it did.

Comment from: AnnieKK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I haven't found any kind of alternative treatment that works yet for my hot flashes. I've tried progesterone cream, black cohosh, dong quai, red clover, and combinations of licorice and burdock. I've been fighting this for four years. (I'm 52). I don't want to do hormone therapy because I've got a family history of strokes. At times, I've had a hot flash every one to two hours. Sometimes they are short, just a couple of minutes (never so short as less than a minute) and sometimes they last for 30 to 45 minutes, generally at night. Sometimes they will quit for several months and then start up again.

Comment from: millie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I am 56, and I had a hysterectomy 25 years ago. I did HRT for several years, but after suffering blood clots twice in my legs (deep vein thrombosis), I am no longer a candidate for HRT. My problem now is a hot flash with a different life of its own. I can tell when they are coming. First, my legs start tingling. Then my stomach starts burning. I get very nauseated, have shortness of breath, and then the heat starts in my breast area and works up to my face. I am disoriented, frustrated, and want to run and scream. It lasts two to five minutes. This happens about every 30 minutes to an hour.

Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments Question: What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try?
Hot Flashes of Menopause - Alternative Treatments Question: Did you receive an alternative treatment for your lymphocytic colitis? If so, what was it?