- Alternative treatment (CAM) for MS facts
- What is complementary or alternative treatment or CAM?
- What is of multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- What are the symptoms of MS?
- What alternative treatments can be used for MS symptoms?
- What about medical marijuana (cannabis) for MS symptoms?
- Who is eligible to pursue treatment with CAM?
- How much does CAM cost?
- What are the potential risks and side effects of CAM?
- What different types of CAM were studied in the National Health Interview Survey?
What are the symptoms of MS?
The specific symptom seen in MS is related to the area of injury in the brain or spinal cord. Examples of symptoms of MS include:
- a numbness, burning ors tingling feeling, or weakness in certain areas of the body; the weakness might be mild or severe enough to cause paralysis of one side of the body;
- bladder and bowel symptoms such as incontinence, difficulty in starting to urinate, a strong and/or frequent urge to urinate, even loss of control of the bladder or an inability to empty the bladder;
- eye problems such as eye discomfort, double vision, uncontrollable eye movements, optic neuritis, and vision loss;
- difficulty moving the arms or legs, difficulty walking, or problems with coordination and fine motor skills;
- sexual problems in men and a vaginal dryness (decrease in vaginal lubrication in women);
- Nerve and brain problems such as dizziness, depression, memory loss, balance problems, poor judgment, and memory loss; and
- as MS progresses, some patients are left with muscle spasticity, which is an involuntary painful contraction of some muscles.