Patient Comments: Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency: Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency? How old were you when they appeared?

Comment from: janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was sick from birth, but finally got a diagnosis of alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency in 2004. I always extend helping hand to those who are not sure or have questions or afraid to get in touch with me. I am on IV augmentation therapy every week. This drug can slow the process down. It is called Prolastin C. I am on oxygen 24/7 and tire very easily. There aren"t many of us, but we are all part of the alpha family now.

Comment from: SANDYALPHA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

My symptoms of alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency came on quick. And I never knew, till now they kept saying COPD, then a doctor finally said there was something else going. After 3 day in ICU and many tests, they found it. I wish they could find this stuff earlier in life because I would have lived mine a lot different.

Comment from: chris, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was diagnosed with alpha 1 antitrypsin deficiency on May 24, 2013. I have the double Z allele. I now have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and cirrhosis.

Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency - Genetic Testing Question: Have you had genetic testing for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency? If so, what were the results?
Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment have you received for your disease caused by an alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?