Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Spotty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 54 years old and experiencing alopecia areata since last year. I had a sudden period of extreme stress that may have prompted the loss, but had also tried a medicine for a nail fungus around the same time. I see one doctor (a rheumatologist) for a possible lupus diagnosis (lupus is difficult to diagnose) and my primary care doctor was also treating me for hypothyroidism since I was gaining weight, and had increased my dosage from a very low beginning strength to a slight increase. With all of that going on I am not sure what the exact cause of the hair loss was. I stopped all medications immediately. I jokingly told my doctor that I can handle being fat, I"m ok with getting old, but old, fat and bald wasn"t going to work for me. My other doctor did some blood work and suggested I take zinc supplements, and things improved. The nail fungus went away, my hair started re-growing, and I perked up a little despite being off the thyroid medicines. Just this week I noticed a quarter sized spot which is increasing in size, and I"m back online searching for answers. The only changes this time is that I had changed brands of zinc, maybe it"s time to go back to what was working.

Comment from: nk186, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have alopecia areata and I have yet to go to the doctor to do blood tests, but I noticed a small bald patch on top of my head a year ago and I did nothing. Then this year it looked bigger so I started to massage my head at night and twice a week use an oil therapy that I massage into my head and sleep with. The next morning I shower and my hair feels soft and my scalp feels good. The oil treatment consists of jojoba oil, coconut oil, almond oil and tea tree oil. Within two months I noticed little tiny hairs growing. I am not sure if this will work for everyone but I do believe for some this disease is a sign of a malnourished scalp. Massage the spot in the shower and before bed. Hope it works for you.

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 27 and I got alopecia when I was 23 years old. I couldn't stop crying and then a friend of mine offered to take me to go see a doctor and I was told most people get it because of stress that our body feels and hits areas on our head. Being a girl I think it's more stressful because we have long hair and sometimes my spots became noticeable even if I used pony tails. I was given a lotion and some zinc and iron tablets and tried OTC shampoos as Folicure/Pony/Chile and I even used iodine. The doctor told me to rub iodine around it then use the lotion that was given and I had best results with the Folicure shampoo products. I buy them at HEB; they even have tablets and oils and powders and vitamins, all for the hair loss and you'll see awesome results. My doctor told me I can try getting on a diet too and to walk every day and relax and to try to not let things bother me so much.

Comment from: new Dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

My mother had alopecia areata, I noticed the loss two years ago at 40, I stopped wearing weaves, and I'm taking hair, skin and nail vitamins. After six months I noticed the loss process has stopped and hair started to grow back, it is extremely slowly though. I"m looking for vitamins that can help, I hear Biotin is good.

Comment from: ashish kumar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have alopecia areata. I consulted with one dermatologist and he gave me the hair bless solution to apply on it. But nothing worked. Then I moved on for Ayurvedic medicines. I applied Navratna oil, black sesame oil and neem oil and left it overnight. After ten days of application it worked and now I see a patch of hairs on the bald patch. Also at the same time I was taking Dr. Reckeweg"s R89 for hair problems. You can take 20 drops twice or thrice daily along with Kali Sulphuricum (4 tablets twice daily) and arsenicum album 30 (4 drops twice daily). Alopecia areata is an auto immune disease, so you need to cure your immune system. It is because of blood impurity and 'pitta dosha' in Ayurveda. So take gooseberry, butter, curd, cold milk etc., avoid taking tea, coffee or any hot food. Avoid taking spicy food or food from outside. You need to balance your 'pitta'. I am also taking triphala to control the 'pitta' which also boosts immunity. Hope you people find it useful.

Comment from: jjj4ever, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am a 32 year old female. I first saw two bald patches on the top of my head back in September of 2013 (I felt like I had died). I"ve always had very long hair so this was devastating to me! I started receiving the shots in my head and it made my hair way worse, every time I had gotten the shots, a new bald spot would appear. I found a bald spot that me and the doctor had seen and was growing hair without any treatments (no shots or any creams). I"m choosing not to get the shots anymore and see what happens! Stress is my biggest issue I guess that"s why this happened to me.

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?