Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata at 8 years old. I saw at least 10 different doctors in three states and they said nothing can be done for me. Now 17 years later, I have alopecia totalis and no autoimmune issues that can be found. I am finally starting to get some hair back, but it is only short blond peach fuzz if you will. It is almost as if I am an infant again and starting from scratch. I have worn a wig since high school as teenagers can be very cruel, and I would not have been going to school if not for the wig. I just want a dermatology clinic in my area that actually knows what they are doing and can help me.

Published: July 30

I had a total hysterectomy last year and I have been on hormone therapy for the past 9 months, now I'm starting to notice balding patches in back of my head. Could this be caused by hormone therapy or lack of?

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?