Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Joye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 40 years old and have had alopecia for more than 20 years. Up until the last year, my hair would grow in spots. I decided last year I was tired of the wigs and showed the world my bald head with a little peach fuzz. I have since lost even the peach fuzz with no hair in sight. I hope they come up with a treatment that works, but if not, I have come to grips with the fact that I may never have a full head of hair again. Personally, I think hair is overrated.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata in high school. It has been very difficult for me. Wearing a wig to basketball practice and running track was not in the plans for me. I have spent thousands of dollars in different medicines and treatments but have not found anything. Now that I am married, I am very uncomfortable letting my husband see what is underneath my wig. I hope that one day there will be hope.

Comment from: celiacgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Anyone with alopecia should be screened for Celiac Disease an autoimmune disease relating to gluten intolerance (gluten found in wheat, rye, and barley). Celiac can cause alopecia and there are web sites that give more information. Look up Celiac and Alopecia on a search engine.

Comment from: bfwm1993, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Female big bald spots (on the top of the head) run in my family. It was very disconcerting when I was in my 20's...lots of hats, bandannas etc. folks asking if I had under gone chemo. Then I thought, thank god it's not that! Things could be a whole lot worse than what I was dealing with. It's no fun with alopecia, but you grow into it and make the best of it and remember your blessings. I'm not uncomfortable going bare headed, but I still wear lots of hats. I Love them! I have very unique ones purchased as souvenirs and gifts.

Comment from: Stormey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I started getting patches of hair loss about 15 years ago and repeating every 2-3 years. In the beginning, a dermatologist treated it with steroid shots. Over time, I stopped getting treatment for the patches due to side effects. My last occurrence was about 4 years ago. I did nothing and my hair grew back in 4 months. Sites of the steroid treatment on my head have thinner hair. It grows slower than the rest of my hair if at all. I, too, have Graves Disease as well as Graves Eye Disease. I have been told the alopecia are at a may be connected because it is an auto-immune problem like Graves.

Comment from: clara kent, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I've had alopecia areata when I was 23 and now ten years later I have it again. It comes on usually when I have extreme stress. However this latest bout I cannot identify what is the stress factor. What I know is that alopecia is one of the most emotionally painful experiences I've had to endure and of all the dermatologists I've been to all seem clueless. I've been to a trichologies and she was the only one that offered some glimmer of hope.

Comment from: renguillarte, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

With my alopecia areata, I also got bald patches. Now it seems to be growing back. I'm currently using coconut milk on my hair before I shower and it seems to be working well. I hope it grows more. I think my AA may be stress-related. I have job fatigue and emotional stress.

Comment from: jumboecho, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

Nine years ago, I started getting small patches, which very quickly became one large patch on my back right-hand side. No treatments ever worked. Five years into it, I started rubbing baby lotion onto my scalp, not as a cure, but because my skin was so dry. For some reason, hair growth started within about two or three months. It was thin and grey. Twice since then, a small patch on the back of my head has returned, but after treating it with baby lotion, it was cured within five months. I have not had alopecia now for three years.

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?