Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Stormey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I started getting patches of hair loss about 15 years ago and repeating every 2-3 years. In the beginning, a dermatologist treated it with steroid shots. Over time, I stopped getting treatment for the patches due to side effects. My last occurrence was about 4 years ago. I did nothing and my hair grew back in 4 months. Sites of the steroid treatment on my head have thinner hair. It grows slower than the rest of my hair if at all. I, too, have Graves Disease as well as Graves Eye Disease. I have been told the alopecia are at a may be connected because it is an auto-immune problem like Graves.

Comment from: clara kent, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I've had alopecia areata when I was 23 and now ten years later I have it again. It comes on usually when I have extreme stress. However this latest bout I cannot identify what is the stress factor. What I know is that alopecia is one of the most emotionally painful experiences I've had to endure and of all the dermatologists I've been to all seem clueless. I've been to a trichologies and she was the only one that offered some glimmer of hope.

Comment from: renguillarte, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 17

With my alopecia areata, I also got bald patches. Now it seems to be growing back. I'm currently using coconut milk on my hair before I shower and it seems to be working well. I hope it grows more. I think my AA may be stress-related. I have job fatigue and emotional stress.

Comment from: jumboecho, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

Nine years ago, I started getting small patches, which very quickly became one large patch on my back right-hand side. No treatments ever worked. Five years into it, I started rubbing baby lotion onto my scalp, not as a cure, but because my skin was so dry. For some reason, hair growth started within about two or three months. It was thin and grey. Twice since then, a small patch on the back of my head has returned, but after treating it with baby lotion, it was cured within five months. I have not had alopecia now for three years.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata at 8 years old. I saw at least 10 different doctors in three states and they said nothing can be done for me. Now 17 years later, I have alopecia totalis and no autoimmune issues that can be found. I am finally starting to get some hair back, but it is only short blond peach fuzz if you will. It is almost as if I am an infant again and starting from scratch. I have worn a wig since high school as teenagers can be very cruel, and I would not have been going to school if not for the wig. I just want a dermatology clinic in my area that actually knows what they are doing and can help me.

Published: July 30

I had a total hysterectomy last year and I have been on hormone therapy for the past 9 months, now I'm starting to notice balding patches in back of my head. Could this be caused by hormone therapy or lack of?

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?