Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Ash, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I am a 22-year-old woman who has had signs of alopecia areata since the age of 4. I only had it for a year or two, my parents told me, but then it disappeared until high school when I began losing and re-growing one small patch on the front of my head. In my second year of university, I lost so much hair that I had to start wearing a wig. I tried many treatments, but the only thing that worked for me effectively was minoxidil treatment (Rogaine). I encourage everyone with alopecia areata to try an extra-strength solution of Rogaine, which is 5% in strength. After six weeks of using it, I began to grow peach fuzz on most of my balding spots. I had extensive hair loss, so it took me a couple of years before I could go without a wig. Just be patient, and it may come to work for you also.

Published: August 01

I about 8 years ago lost big patches of my hair. I was almost completely bald. I went to a dermatologist who treated me with fluocinonide solution. She also advised me to not wear a wig if possible. As hard as it was I did not wear a wig, now I have a full head of hair to the middle of my back. I do have Graves Disease and suffer from Hyperthyroidism, but I have not had any hair loss.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My alopecia started when I was 19 years old and I had 2 bald spots at that time. I've done the injections which worked and about 4 months later I had 2 new spots. I'm now 24 years old and haven't had a spot in 2 years but today as I washed my hair I noticed at the crown of my head a little piece of hair that look as if I had another spot and hadn't noticed it and it's starting to grow back and I just got depressed; not again! I'm also natural, I don't use any chemicals on my hair. Since my last 2 spots I cut all my hair off and went natural and to see that little piece of hair bothers me. I thought it was over for me for a little while longer but I guess not and I will be seeing a doctor soon.

Comment from: jfurlo90, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My alopecia started six months ago. My father had it five years ago and found the shots to help. Originally, the spots were only dime-sized. After using Rogaine for two weeks, the spots widened to the size of my fist. I have tried cortisone creams, which didn't help. I am seeking the advice of a dermatologist.

Comment from: timmietime, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

The only treatment that I have ever found to be effective for my alopecia is the use of wigs, as awful as this may be. It does provide a sense of security and some sense of self-esteem. My whole life has been changed as result of this, and I am not the person that I would be had I not been cursed with this disease at the age of 12. I am now 52 years old and have never had my hair done, dyed, ironed, colored or put in a ponytail. I dream about that day and refuse to give up until there is a cure.

Comment from: maily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I am 40 today and have been fighting alopecia for more than 20 years. I've had it since the age of 18. After my first encounter, I was fine for more than 10 years, and then it reoccurred. I tried the same method of the steroid injections, but this time I added the Regenix treatment, which was the application of hair tonic and shampoo to the mix. This remedy cured me for another seven years, and it has been revisiting occasionally every few years.

Comment from: Jessica, Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am 26 years old and have had alopecia since I was 10. It started with a small round patch on the top of my head. I have used several medications that actually have worked. The first time it happened, I had the injections and a cream. It grew back. Then in high school, I had more hair loss and used a cream, which also worked. I haven't had a spot for 10 years, but now I am experiencing the worst hair loss yet. I have taken Prednisone, and now my dermatologist has given me this Ditro-scalp cream to take. It caused redness and irritation on the affected area. I still see hair fall out when I shower and comb my hair. I just hope someday there will be a cure.

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?