Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: jfurlo90, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My alopecia started six months ago. My father had it five years ago and found the shots to help. Originally, the spots were only dime-sized. After using Rogaine for two weeks, the spots widened to the size of my fist. I have tried cortisone creams, which didn't help. I am seeking the advice of a dermatologist.

Comment from: timmietime, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

The only treatment that I have ever found to be effective for my alopecia is the use of wigs, as awful as this may be. It does provide a sense of security and some sense of self-esteem. My whole life has been changed as result of this, and I am not the person that I would be had I not been cursed with this disease at the age of 12. I am now 52 years old and have never had my hair done, dyed, ironed, colored or put in a ponytail. I dream about that day and refuse to give up until there is a cure.

Comment from: maily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I am 40 today and have been fighting alopecia for more than 20 years. I've had it since the age of 18. After my first encounter, I was fine for more than 10 years, and then it reoccurred. I tried the same method of the steroid injections, but this time I added the Regenix treatment, which was the application of hair tonic and shampoo to the mix. This remedy cured me for another seven years, and it has been revisiting occasionally every few years.

Comment from: Jessica, Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I am 26 years old and have had alopecia since I was 10. It started with a small round patch on the top of my head. I have used several medications that actually have worked. The first time it happened, I had the injections and a cream. It grew back. Then in high school, I had more hair loss and used a cream, which also worked. I haven't had a spot for 10 years, but now I am experiencing the worst hair loss yet. I have taken Prednisone, and now my dermatologist has given me this Ditro-scalp cream to take. It caused redness and irritation on the affected area. I still see hair fall out when I shower and comb my hair. I just hope someday there will be a cure.

Comment from: Joye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 40 years old and have had alopecia for more than 20 years. Up until the last year, my hair would grow in spots. I decided last year I was tired of the wigs and showed the world my bald head with a little peach fuzz. I have since lost even the peach fuzz with no hair in sight. I hope they come up with a treatment that works, but if not, I have come to grips with the fact that I may never have a full head of hair again. Personally, I think hair is overrated.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata in high school. It has been very difficult for me. Wearing a wig to basketball practice and running track was not in the plans for me. I have spent thousands of dollars in different medicines and treatments but have not found anything. Now that I am married, I am very uncomfortable letting my husband see what is underneath my wig. I hope that one day there will be hope.

Comment from: celiacgirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Anyone with alopecia should be screened for Celiac Disease an autoimmune disease relating to gluten intolerance (gluten found in wheat, rye, and barley). Celiac can cause alopecia and there are web sites that give more information. Look up Celiac and Alopecia on a search engine.

Comment from: bfwm1993, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Female big bald spots (on the top of the head) run in my family. It was very disconcerting when I was in my 20's...lots of hats, bandannas etc. folks asking if I had under gone chemo. Then I thought, thank god it's not that! Things could be a whole lot worse than what I was dealing with. It's no fun with alopecia, but you grow into it and make the best of it and remember your blessings. I'm not uncomfortable going bare headed, but I still wear lots of hats. I Love them! I have very unique ones purchased as souvenirs and gifts.

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?