Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Beth03, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I'm a 23 year old woman and I discovered I small patch of alopecia areata on the side of my head about a year ago. I went to the doctor got the shot treatment but it made it worse. Now the area looks and feels really sensitive. I have tried oils and cream but it seems like it is getting worse, nothing has helped.

Comment from: apennix29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have had alopecia for almost 4 years and I was given steroid injections in my scalp to speed up the hair regrowth process and it didn't work for me.

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 27 and I got alopecia when I was 23 years old. I couldn't stop crying and then a friend of mine offered to take me to go see a doctor and I was told most people get it because of stress that our body feels and hits areas on our head. Being a girl I think it's more stressful because we have long hair and sometimes my spots became noticeable even if I used pony tails. I was given a lotion and some zinc and iron tablets and tried OTC shampoos as Folicure/Pony/Chile and I even used iodine. The doctor told me to rub iodine around it then use the lotion that was given and I had best results with the Folicure shampoo products. I buy them at HEB; they even have tablets and oils and powders and vitamins, all for the hair loss and you'll see awesome results. My doctor told me I can try getting on a diet too and to walk every day and relax and to try to not let things bother me so much.

Comment from: new Dawn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

My mother had alopecia areata, I noticed the loss two years ago at 40, I stopped wearing weaves, and I'm taking hair, skin and nail vitamins. After six months I noticed the loss process has stopped and hair started to grow back, it is extremely slowly though. I"m looking for vitamins that can help, I hear Biotin is good.

Comment from: ashish kumar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have alopecia areata. I consulted with one dermatologist and he gave me the hair bless solution to apply on it. But nothing worked. Then I moved on for Ayurvedic medicines. I applied Navratna oil, black sesame oil and neem oil and left it overnight. After ten days of application it worked and now I see a patch of hairs on the bald patch. Also at the same time I was taking Dr. Reckeweg"s R89 for hair problems. You can take 20 drops twice or thrice daily along with Kali Sulphuricum (4 tablets twice daily) and arsenicum album 30 (4 drops twice daily). Alopecia areata is an auto immune disease, so you need to cure your immune system. It is because of blood impurity and 'pitta dosha' in Ayurveda. So take gooseberry, butter, curd, cold milk etc., avoid taking tea, coffee or any hot food. Avoid taking spicy food or food from outside. You need to balance your 'pitta'. I am also taking triphala to control the 'pitta' which also boosts immunity. Hope you people find it useful.

Comment from: jjj4ever, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am a 32 year old female. I first saw two bald patches on the top of my head back in September of 2013 (I felt like I had died). I"ve always had very long hair so this was devastating to me! I started receiving the shots in my head and it made my hair way worse, every time I had gotten the shots, a new bald spot would appear. I found a bald spot that me and the doctor had seen and was growing hair without any treatments (no shots or any creams). I"m choosing not to get the shots anymore and see what happens! Stress is my biggest issue I guess that"s why this happened to me.

Comment from: breanabanana65, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I'm a female and started losing my hair at 25. I'm 30 now and my bangs are almost gone as well as the crown of my head. I tried and failed with Rogaine and some other shampoos. I now wear extensions stuffed underneath my hats and I'm so embarrassed every time I go out that people notice my fake hair. I haven't gotten the courage to wear wigs outside yet. But I heard today from a friend of my mother's who is a registered nurse who used to have the same problem as me and then just before she started chemotherapy for her cancer she found a solution. She takes a month's supply of birth control pills and mushes them into powder, and then mixes it into her shampoo. She never lost her hair during chemotherapy and to this day she has long thick hair.

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?