Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Patterns

What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?

Comment from: Marianne25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had alopecia areata since I was 12. The pattern I have is similar to the previous poster. When something very stressful happens in my life, I usually get 1 to 3 spots. Sometimes I will get way more. I get cortisone injections and they usually go away rather quickly. However, I have one extremely stubborn spot on the side of my head that has not changed even though I have had injections done twice.

Comment from: US-TH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I'm a 29-year-old woman and was diagnosed with alopecia areata three months ago after I found a small spot near my hairline in my bangs. I've always been super healthy, energetic, and slim, but have in the last 7 months experienced a ton of weight loss (a little over 10 pounds) and some hormonal upheavals I can't make sense of. I've got mixed feelings about the weight loss as I'm down to the size I wore in high school, which is great, but since I can't explain it and lost hair too, it sort of worries me. I panicked and started getting cortisone shots and have experienced some re-growth but the spot is spreading anyway and I feel like my hair overall is thinning. I think I will stop the shots, as I'm not sure it's worth it and wonder about side effects. I feel like I must have something wrong with my body to be experiencing an autoimmune problem like this and plan to change my diet to avoid anything "inflammatory" - who knows if it will help but I'm a huge believer in at least trying! More vegetables and less wheat and dairy never hurt anyone, I figure.

Comment from: kittykat88, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I usually get patches a month or two after having a very stressful situation. For me, it is whenever I get really stressed out about something. This has been going on since I was 19; I am 32 now. They range in sizes too. I have had them the size of a dime and some the size of a grapefruit.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?