Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: La La, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 13

I am 45 years old and I started losing hair but didn't pay any attention, then started getting spots, I didn't know why. After a while the spots got bigger and I went to the doctor and was told I had alopecia areata. I have hair on the front top of my hair but spots everywhere else. I still cry when I look in the mirror. I wear scarfs, never wore a wig; I tried it but they don't feel right. So now I avoid mirrors.

Comment from: Sara M., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I am a recently turned 32 year old female. I was diagnosed with alopecia areata last spring. I first noticed subtle hair loss. It started more towards my bangs and then spread. I could cover it up at first, but I then started getting more bald spots as time went on. This all started happening as I was ending a very serious and stressful relationship. I spent the entire summer and fall of 2013 wearing a thick headband (such as you would workout in), so it covered quite a large area. I saw my dermatologist (as I have other skin issues such as eczema), in July 2013. I started getting steroid shots in my scalp. This seemed to help tremendously. My hair is now growing back rapidly, although it is more coarse and curlier also. I have tried a ton of different shampoos, as I still feel like I lose a lot of hair even though it is growing back.

Comment from: Toria31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was just diagnosed with alopecia about a month ago. It started out as a small bald spot where my bangs were, this was in September. By the end of October it had spread to my hairline right at the top of my head! I can cover it up by parting my hair a certain way, but it just keeps spreading. It's now December and it's about the size of a lemon. They can't treat it right now because I'm 6 months pregnant.

Comment from: prettylittleliar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 28 year old Asian American female. I noticed a small bald spot when I was brushing my hair. I thought the bald spot was caused due to me parting my hair in the same spot. Since I thought this was the cause of the bald spot I decided to change my part and parted my hair down the middle of my head. That's when a noticed a much larger bald spot. I freaked out but I brushed it off (no pun intended). I thought the bald spot was because my bobby pins that I put in my hair. I am not "stressed" at all really at work nor at home. I saw my PCP and he told me to visit the dermatologist where he confirmed it was alopecia areata. He gave me a topical ointment where it looks like it's a huge Visine bottle. I apply it 3-4 a week. I am not sure if it's totally working but also I haven't noticed any other bald spots. I would have never thought that anything like this could happen to me. If I end up totally bald, I am okay with that. It's just hair--other people in the world have it 10 times harder than me.

Comment from: Miguel Dzemaili, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

I'm a 17 year old boy, and I've been dealing with Alopecia for about a year and half. At first I didn't notice it, until one day one of my friends told me that I had a bald spot. It was small so I didn't pay attention to. As time went on and I started to do more sports activities and getting lots of homework, I noticed that I was getting more bald spots, but they were small, so I continued to not pay attention. As time went on I noticed that I had three huge bald spot, but the bald spots were weird, since they were like bumps and full of pus, so the smell was nasty. After I noticed the three huge spots, I quickly went looking for a dermatologist, and in searching, I found a great doctor, and so far my hair is growing back, and I always keep in mind to wash and take care of my head. Basically my Alopecia infection came from the excessive workouts and somewhat stress, but now I limit myself on both of these subject.

Comment from: Karrie, 35-44 Female Published: July 24

I am 44 years old and woke up one day with a bald spot on the top of my scalp. It was horrifying, scary and have only told a handful of people because I am embarrassed by it. I wear headbands every day to cover it. I have seen my dermatologist and have received injections in my scalp and I am scheduled to go for round 2...I am using Nioxin and Rogaine but have seen little improvement. It is hard to look in the mirror everyday.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a female 33 years of age and just noticed a spot of hairless area on my back just above my neck. It is very smooth and at first I was shocked. Then I consulted a dermatologist and came to know about alopecia areata. My biggest concern is that I think I have the ophiasis pattern which is most difficult to treat.

Comment from: kamal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

The same type of hair fall was occur during the year 1992 and after 20 years time again it happened to me during 1992. I used ginger, I applies its juice every now and then when I get time, later it is successful but the same treatment I'm doing now and found no reaction till 2 weeks time. I'm very sure that it will effect as I did this treatment before and it was successful.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?