Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Brigga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

I got a bald spot on the back of my head which kept growing and growing, after a bad accident where I was badly injured and had a lot of subsequent stress, at age 48. I never had this before to my knowledge. I didn't get the steroid shots for my alopecia areata (AA), since I didn't want the skin damage, and I don't think it grows back hair much more than it would grow back, and anyway, definitely doesn't last, and just seems to be a cash cow for the dermatologists. It is filling in everywhere except a little spot. I have been taking CBD oil from cannabis and also massaging it into my scalp. But, who can say if something in particular worked, since with AA your hair grows back anyhow only to fall out again somewhere else!

Comment from: Tami, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 12

My young grandson has alopecia areata. He'll be 3 in May. His hair is gone and he is now losing eyebrows and eyelashes. There are no known family members with the condition. We're all looking for answers and for support groups.

Comment from: kk, 13-18 Male Published: December 31

I had my pulmonary embolism 3 days after giving birth to my daughter. I felt so short of breath and was nearly fainting. They ran some test and found out I had pulmonary embolism. I am still taking Coumadin now, I still feel short of breath and have mild chest pains which eventually go away. My INR is so far in the range for 3 consecutive checks. I still fell exhausted easily.

Comment from: hopeforme14, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I am a 35 year old female and was told I had alopecia areata when I was 30. I just thought it was the end of the world. Being female and bald! Oh no, what was I going to do. So I turned to hair extensions and tried to de-stress my life as best as I could and it seemed to work until July 2014, when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have lost almost all of my hair and have now turned to wigs. I made an appointment with the local dermatologist to see if there is anything that I can do. It has been a long struggle and I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment from: La La, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 13

I am 45 years old and I started losing hair but didn't pay any attention, then started getting spots, I didn't know why. After a while the spots got bigger and I went to the doctor and was told I had alopecia areata. I have hair on the front top of my hair but spots everywhere else. I still cry when I look in the mirror. I wear scarfs, never wore a wig; I tried it but they don't feel right. So now I avoid mirrors.

Comment from: Sara M., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I am a recently turned 32 year old female. I was diagnosed with alopecia areata last spring. I first noticed subtle hair loss. It started more towards my bangs and then spread. I could cover it up at first, but I then started getting more bald spots as time went on. This all started happening as I was ending a very serious and stressful relationship. I spent the entire summer and fall of 2013 wearing a thick headband (such as you would workout in), so it covered quite a large area. I saw my dermatologist (as I have other skin issues such as eczema), in July 2013. I started getting steroid shots in my scalp. This seemed to help tremendously. My hair is now growing back rapidly, although it is more coarse and curlier also. I have tried a ton of different shampoos, as I still feel like I lose a lot of hair even though it is growing back.

Comment from: Toria31, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was just diagnosed with alopecia about a month ago. It started out as a small bald spot where my bangs were, this was in September. By the end of October it had spread to my hairline right at the top of my head! I can cover it up by parting my hair a certain way, but it just keeps spreading. It's now December and it's about the size of a lemon. They can't treat it right now because I'm 6 months pregnant.

Comment from: prettylittleliar, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 28 year old Asian American female. I noticed a small bald spot when I was brushing my hair. I thought the bald spot was caused due to me parting my hair in the same spot. Since I thought this was the cause of the bald spot I decided to change my part and parted my hair down the middle of my head. That's when a noticed a much larger bald spot. I freaked out but I brushed it off (no pun intended). I thought the bald spot was because my bobby pins that I put in my hair. I am not "stressed" at all really at work nor at home. I saw my PCP and he told me to visit the dermatologist where he confirmed it was alopecia areata. He gave me a topical ointment where it looks like it's a huge Visine bottle. I apply it 3-4 a week. I am not sure if it's totally working but also I haven't noticed any other bald spots. I would have never thought that anything like this could happen to me. If I end up totally bald, I am okay with that. It's just hair--other people in the world have it 10 times harder than me.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?