Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: luckyme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I just turned 30 and I've been sufferring from alopecia areata since I was 12. It's really alot to go through. No permanent solution for it, whenever symptoms occur I have to go to doctor to get some injections in my scalp which is really painful. It has affected me in every way like self confidence, my social behaviour, depression, anxiety, everything...but still I dye my hair and use hot tools because I want to live a normal life.

Comment from: holy-head, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I had MCL surgery and within 90 days had a patch of alopecia areata show up. Since then, it's increased to about the size of a baseball. Prior to the surgery I had a urinary tract infection, the doctor gave me 30 days of cipro, then he gave me another 30 days because the infection was still present. After the 2nd round of antibiotics (within 3 weeks) is when I had my surgery.

Comment from: Harold, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 04

My daughter suffers from alopecia areata since infant vaccinations. We are told that as the condition is not life threatening, there is no serious money spent on finding a cure. I don't think people realize what sufferers of this condition go through. The odd looks from strangers at the shops, the teasing from kids at school, etc. It is really sad to see such a young child have to deal with the emotional stress bought upon by "who knows what!" My sympathy goes out to all those suffering from this terrible condition.

Comment from: Devil_Dog, 45-54 (Patient) Published: February 04

I've probably have 30 small bald spots on my head. They started around 15 years ago. It's gotten so bad I just finally shaved my head. People would stare and I'm a Marine and I found being stared at confrontational because of the ignorance of people, so when I shaved my head the stares stopped. My head looked like I had the mange. I've not lost any other hair on my body. You would think modern medicine being as advanced as it is they could find a cure.

Comment from: s huston, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Mainly around the perimeter of my scalp but I have found that my hair has thinned to that of a baby's on my scalp all over with little smooth spots all over my scalp. Everyday washing I find a clump of hair falling out, literally!

Comment from: DORIS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Patches of loss hair, itching, and redness, pain in the scalp.

Comment from: DawnnyDawn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I will be 32 next month and was diagnosed with alopecia 4 to 5 years ago. I'm sure it was all due to stress. (bills, relationships, money, etc) I do not have a bad case of it so I am beyond blessed. I started off with a small patch in the back, then patches in my eyebrows and got needle injections faithfully once a month, and the hair grew back every time. I would have to spray black hair spray on my spot in the back, being as though I wear a short hair cut, and also would have to use an eyeliner to color in some of my eyebrows. My eyebrows have been okay for a couple of years, but I do have a small spot in the back of my head again that I don't spray anymore, but just leave extra, longer hair in that area. I've learned to embrace my disease and again am thankful because it could be ten times worse!

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?