Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: tasha, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I understand it to be an immune deficiency. I know someone that lost a patch of hair and visited a holistic doctor that stated that there was too much aluminum in the liver. She was detoxed and told to never use aluminum cooking ware, and drink distilled water. I do know that there was a court issue on the onset but after the liver being detoxed and later cleaned the spot left in nearly a week.

Comment from: Marebare17, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I am 17 and have been battling alopecia areata since I was 8. I lost 75% of my hair but thankfully it has since grown back. But I still have little spots from time to time and no hair on my arms and legs.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 16 years old and now alopecia areata is the one and only cause of my worries. As for every teens, hair seemed to be one of the treasures in my life. One day when I woke up. I saw two bald patches which grew bigger and bigger day after day. First I took aloepathy medicines. But it was of no use. Then I consulted an Ayurveda doctor and she prescribed me TRICHUP oil, tablets and shampoo which proved to be effective.

Comment from: loui, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

My hair started falling out 2 years ago I'n 21 today and am almost bold no treatment has worked for me for alopecia areata.

Comment from: hairloss18, 13-18 Male Published: July 05

I am 18 years old and just started noticing that the hair at the back of head started disappearing and I have bald spots. It started small on the right side and then grew to the left and now quite a bit of hair is missing from the back of my head. I would say my hairline is up to the middle of my ears. My life isn't that stressful, but I do suffer from allergies, and from what I have read, late teens and young adults are prime ages to get alopecia.

Comment from: Lorrie, Female Published: May 18

I am a 43 year old African-American woman and I am experiencing signs of alopecia areata. It all started when I was 40 years of age. I was going through financial problems and stressing about other personal issues. I have been diagnose with high-blood pressure and is currently being treated with Hydrochloride, which I don't believe to play any role in my hair loss. I am currently receiving injections of Cortisone in my scalp and taking hair, nail, and skin vitamins. My hair is growing back slowly but surely. It has been 3 months since I've started the treatments and I haven't had a relaxer or color in my hair for whole year. My alopecia friends stay positive and be patient.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female Published: April 12

I was 51 when I had my first experience with alopecia areata. I had two nickel sized spots on the back of my scalp. In addition, I have two other auto-immune problems, scalp psoriasis and hypo-thyrodism. I believe stress was related to my hair loss. Treatmeant was steroidal solution, which helps psoriasis also. In any event, it grew back about 3 months later and I haven't had any issues with hair loss since.

Comment from: Blessed Bald One, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata four years ago. Cycles have been about yearly with patchy hair loss. Currently I am bald again-shave and wear a bandada (2nd time for extensive scalp hair loss). When the worst flares occur, I have weight loss (about 20 pounds), fatigue and joint pains in the small joints in my hands. I have a history of atopic dermatitis and allergies. I understand this autoimmune illness only involves "hair".

Comment from: s, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

No one seems to know what the actual cause is for my alopecia areata. I was going through medical school and under a lot of stress and lost one of my eyebrows. After my schooling finised it grew back. It was stressful for sure. I went for years without a reocurrance and underwent another stressful event in my life and it came back but I am now losing patches of hair in my scalp. I have been going to a dermatologist for 2 years now for injections and every time a patch grows back another one appears. I used to wear a ponytail but now I can't as it shows my bald spots. I wish there was a cure.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?