Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: ladydragon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 32, with one son 18 months old, about 10 weeks ago my hair just started falling out after years of having extraordinarily long thick hair. I now have 2 large bald spots one on the side one in the back as well as several smaller bald spots. I have had a lot of stress in my life but my life is usually stressful and my hair never fell out before. It's just hard to believe that it's happening. From everything I've read it usually happens at an earlier age.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 08

I have suffered with Alopecia Areata for about 7-8 yrs now and im 25. My doctors tell me that they have no idea where the balance is off, thats making my hair loss soo tremendous. As a woman its very hard to accept that you have no hair or bad thinning. Thank goodness for wigs but still...its gotten to the point that i was soo tired and exhausted of looking in the mirror at someone i did not like at all, so i shaved my whole head, very hard and emtional decision but i couldnt bare to look at the huge patches in my head, it made me so depressed. i now accept it, it is what it is...we are beautiful no matter if we are bald or thinning! I hope you all find a great doctor and get the medical attention that you deserve!

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 53 years old and have had alopecia since I was 3 or 4my mother said it started out as moving baldness then it cleared up till I was around 12 or 13 and then I lost every bit of my hair including my eyebrows, when I was 17 it just started growing back on its own then when I was 38 I was stressing out a lot and it started all over again but not as bad then when it grew in this time it grew in white.

Comment from: tasha, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I understand it to be an immune deficiency. I know someone that lost a patch of hair and visited a holistic doctor that stated that there was too much aluminum in the liver. She was detoxed and told to never use aluminum cooking ware, and drink distilled water. I do know that there was a court issue on the onset but after the liver being detoxed and later cleaned the spot left in nearly a week.

Comment from: Marebare17, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 07

I am 17 and have been battling alopecia areata since I was 8. I lost 75% of my hair but thankfully it has since grown back. But I still have little spots from time to time and no hair on my arms and legs.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I am 16 years old and now alopecia areata is the one and only cause of my worries. As for every teens, hair seemed to be one of the treasures in my life. One day when I woke up. I saw two bald patches which grew bigger and bigger day after day. First I took aloepathy medicines. But it was of no use. Then I consulted an Ayurveda doctor and she prescribed me TRICHUP oil, tablets and shampoo which proved to be effective.

Comment from: loui, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

My hair started falling out 2 years ago I'n 21 today and am almost bold no treatment has worked for me for alopecia areata.

Comment from: Lorrie, Female Published: May 18

I am a 43 year old African-American woman and I am experiencing signs of alopecia areata. It all started when I was 40 years of age. I was going through financial problems and stressing about other personal issues. I have been diagnose with high-blood pressure and is currently being treated with Hydrochloride, which I don't believe to play any role in my hair loss. I am currently receiving injections of Cortisone in my scalp and taking hair, nail, and skin vitamins. My hair is growing back slowly but surely. It has been 3 months since I've started the treatments and I haven't had a relaxer or color in my hair for whole year. My alopecia friends stay positive and be patient.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female Published: April 12

I was 51 when I had my first experience with alopecia areata. I had two nickel sized spots on the back of my scalp. In addition, I have two other auto-immune problems, scalp psoriasis and hypo-thyrodism. I believe stress was related to my hair loss. Treatmeant was steroidal solution, which helps psoriasis also. In any event, it grew back about 3 months later and I haven't had any issues with hair loss since.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?