Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a female 33 years of age and just noticed a spot of hairless area on my back just above my neck. It is very smooth and at first I was shocked. Then I consulted a dermatologist and came to know about alopecia areata. My biggest concern is that I think I have the ophiasis pattern which is most difficult to treat.

Comment from: lm85016, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I started experiencing a little general hair loss about 10 years ago. Every day I had extreme itchiness of the scalp and I scratched my head a lot. Everyday I saw more and more hair go down the drain when I washed it. Now after 10 years of this I just found my first bald patch (about 8 months ago) that was about 1 inch circle. Now it's about 3" x 2" and there's another bald patch on the back growing even larger and faster. I went to a hair clinic and they said it was alopecia areata but had no suggestions for treatment other than wigs. I am emotionally exhausted with this problem and it certainly doesn't help the stress which may or may not be the root problem (excuse the pun). All I know is that my scalp is ALWAYS itchy. Sometimes, but not always, even more itchy after I exercise. Does anyone else with alopecia areata experience this insane itchiness? I just don't know what to do!

Comment from: Patience Lowly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I'm a 49 year old female, living a stressful life and have undergone a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy 14 years ago. I notice a slight change in my hair after about three years after the operation. I did not worry because I thought it's just a temporal thing. I later notice a bald spot at the back and thought I was having a problem with the chemicals at the salon. I cut all my hair to grow new hair. It grew back but I noticed it never went back to what it was before. After some time my scalp started itching and I was losing my front hair. Doctors later associated it with the op and suggested I take calcium supplements. I'm on them now but I just see no change.

Comment from: Lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I experienced the alopecia areata disease at age of 12 when I was still in elementary school. Now I am 28 years old and haven't married yet. It started to form a patch, every single hair that I held was loosened up from my scalp. I lost the entire hair in a month time, including my eyebrow, eyelids, armpit hair, everything. My parents brought me to everywhere, tried so many treatment including Rogain, but in vain. I used to try medicine from China, in a year the hair grew very thick and beautifully. However, I didn't get my period for a year, I gained weight, my voice change to very low, I grew thin mustache. After being diagnosed further, the medicine contains a lot of steroids which is not good for my health. Once I didn't consume the medicine, it came back to the entire baldness. I'm wearing kind of a scarf to cover it. I 'm not using any medication/ treatment now. Just let it be.

Comment from: StayingStrong, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I started experiencing my alopecia around the age of 25. I started noticing a lot of round patches, some small and some silver dollar size. Over the next five years I started seeing a dermatologist whom prescribed a minoxide creams, steroid injections to my scalp and even prednisone. This helped and seemed to settle the disease for around seven years. I started getting symptoms once again, silver dollar sized patches and loss around my hair line from and back. I got pregnant and my hair started growing, however about a year after I gave birth the disease was back.

Comment from: holly , 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I'm only 15, and when you're in your teens, hair is a priority. Every girl wants nice hair. I have problems at home, and regular relationship problems, both of which caused me to lose my hair. I have 21 bald patches. I heard somewhere that alopecia at my age is almost always caused by stress. I feel like I'm stressed out all the time. I can hide it well at the moment, and I've recently purchased a wig.

Comment from: MrIndian, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I got my first patches when I was 24. The doctor I consulted said there is no treatment for alopecia. He said if it were to spread, that they would give an injection to the scalp. I was really disappointed. It is weird, but a barber near my place while cutting my hair noticed the patch and said he knew the treatment. It was a bit painful, and he said he would not perform it on female patients. He rubbed some leaves around 12 times and then pressed a sliced lemon on that place. The patch looked as if it got burned. After seven days, the skin fell off. After 15 days, I saw baby hairs growing with no pigment. Within four days, my hair turned black and started growing normally. The patch came back in a different place after two years. This time, I went to an Ayurvedic (traditional Indian medicine) practitioner. He prescribed one herbal powder. He asked me to mix it with curd and rub it on the bald patch by applying a little pressure. He asked me to do this daily at bed time for two months. But I did it only for a month, and the hair grew back. I suspect it might be related to stress. One of my distant cousins who was staying with me got a bald patch after some time, too. Weird but true. We used to have junk food and skip meals. This might have spoiled our metabolisms. It was really frustrating to have bald patches.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?