Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I experienced the alopecia areata disease at age of 12 when I was still in elementary school. Now I am 28 years old and haven't married yet. It started to form a patch, every single hair that I held was loosened up from my scalp. I lost the entire hair in a month time, including my eyebrow, eyelids, armpit hair, everything. My parents brought me to everywhere, tried so many treatment including Rogain, but in vain. I used to try medicine from China, in a year the hair grew very thick and beautifully. However, I didn't get my period for a year, I gained weight, my voice change to very low, I grew thin mustache. After being diagnosed further, the medicine contains a lot of steroids which is not good for my health. Once I didn't consume the medicine, it came back to the entire baldness. I'm wearing kind of a scarf to cover it. I 'm not using any medication/ treatment now. Just let it be.

Comment from: StayingStrong, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I started experiencing my alopecia around the age of 25. I started noticing a lot of round patches, some small and some silver dollar size. Over the next five years I started seeing a dermatologist whom prescribed a minoxide creams, steroid injections to my scalp and even prednisone. This helped and seemed to settle the disease for around seven years. I started getting symptoms once again, silver dollar sized patches and loss around my hair line from and back. I got pregnant and my hair started growing, however about a year after I gave birth the disease was back.

Comment from: holly , 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I'm only 15, and when you're in your teens, hair is a priority. Every girl wants nice hair. I have problems at home, and regular relationship problems, both of which caused me to lose my hair. I have 21 bald patches. I heard somewhere that alopecia at my age is almost always caused by stress. I feel like I'm stressed out all the time. I can hide it well at the moment, and I've recently purchased a wig.

Comment from: MrIndian, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I got my first patches when I was 24. The doctor I consulted said there is no treatment for alopecia. He said if it were to spread, that they would give an injection to the scalp. I was really disappointed. It is weird, but a barber near my place while cutting my hair noticed the patch and said he knew the treatment. It was a bit painful, and he said he would not perform it on female patients. He rubbed some leaves around 12 times and then pressed a sliced lemon on that place. The patch looked as if it got burned. After seven days, the skin fell off. After 15 days, I saw baby hairs growing with no pigment. Within four days, my hair turned black and started growing normally. The patch came back in a different place after two years. This time, I went to an Ayurvedic (traditional Indian medicine) practitioner. He prescribed one herbal powder. He asked me to mix it with curd and rub it on the bald patch by applying a little pressure. He asked me to do this daily at bed time for two months. But I did it only for a month, and the hair grew back. I suspect it might be related to stress. One of my distant cousins who was staying with me got a bald patch after some time, too. Weird but true. We used to have junk food and skip meals. This might have spoiled our metabolisms. It was really frustrating to have bald patches.

Comment from: ladydragon, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am 32, with one son 18 months old, about 10 weeks ago my hair just started falling out after years of having extraordinarily long thick hair. I now have 2 large bald spots one on the side one in the back as well as several smaller bald spots. I have had a lot of stress in my life but my life is usually stressful and my hair never fell out before. It's just hard to believe that it's happening. From everything I've read it usually happens at an earlier age.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: November 08

I have suffered with Alopecia Areata for about 7-8 yrs now and im 25. My doctors tell me that they have no idea where the balance is off, thats making my hair loss soo tremendous. As a woman its very hard to accept that you have no hair or bad thinning. Thank goodness for wigs but still...its gotten to the point that i was soo tired and exhausted of looking in the mirror at someone i did not like at all, so i shaved my whole head, very hard and emtional decision but i couldnt bare to look at the huge patches in my head, it made me so depressed. i now accept it, it is what it is...we are beautiful no matter if we are bald or thinning! I hope you all find a great doctor and get the medical attention that you deserve!

Comment from: ruth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 53 years old and have had alopecia since I was 3 or 4my mother said it started out as moving baldness then it cleared up till I was around 12 or 13 and then I lost every bit of my hair including my eyebrows, when I was 17 it just started growing back on its own then when I was 38 I was stressing out a lot and it started all over again but not as bad then when it grew in this time it grew in white.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?