Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: SV, Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My niece has the same symptoms. She lost her hair and then it grows only to fall out again. On my last trip to VN I found out that one of my cousins had the same thing. She went to the doctor and was given a medicine/vitamin called L Cystene. She took it for a year and her hair grew back. I bought some for my niece, she has been taking it for 4 months now and she got most of her hair back, though the spots that still bald are showing signs of regrowth. The hair that grew back has not fallen out yet. It might be worth a try.

Comment from: Christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had matching round patches of hair loss on the right and left sides of my head about eight months ago. They started small and grew larger as I lost more hair. The patch on the right side is larger than the one on the left now. Sometimes the areas itch; sometimes they are slightly painful. I have been diagnosed with alopecia areata and told there is no treatment to cure this condition. So, I simply shampoo often with Stieprox to keep the scalp clean, and continue to hope for the best as my hair has always been my crowning glory. I don't want to be bald at 45.

Comment from: Karrie, 35-44 Female Published: July 24

I am 44 years old and woke up one day with a bald spot on the top of my scalp. It was horrifying, scary and have only told a handful of people because I am embarrassed by it. I wear headbands every day to cover it. I have seen my dermatologist and have received injections in my scalp and I am scheduled to go for round 2...I am using Nioxin and Rogaine but have seen little improvement. It is hard to look in the mirror everyday.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am a female 33 years of age and just noticed a spot of hairless area on my back just above my neck. It is very smooth and at first I was shocked. Then I consulted a dermatologist and came to know about alopecia areata. My biggest concern is that I think I have the ophiasis pattern which is most difficult to treat.

Comment from: lm85016, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I started experiencing a little general hair loss about 10 years ago. Every day I had extreme itchiness of the scalp and I scratched my head a lot. Everyday I saw more and more hair go down the drain when I washed it. Now after 10 years of this I just found my first bald patch (about 8 months ago) that was about 1 inch circle. Now it's about 3" x 2" and there's another bald patch on the back growing even larger and faster. I went to a hair clinic and they said it was alopecia areata but had no suggestions for treatment other than wigs. I am emotionally exhausted with this problem and it certainly doesn't help the stress which may or may not be the root problem (excuse the pun). All I know is that my scalp is ALWAYS itchy. Sometimes, but not always, even more itchy after I exercise. Does anyone else with alopecia areata experience this insane itchiness? I just don't know what to do!

Comment from: Patience Lowly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I'm a 49 year old female, living a stressful life and have undergone a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy 14 years ago. I notice a slight change in my hair after about three years after the operation. I did not worry because I thought it's just a temporal thing. I later notice a bald spot at the back and thought I was having a problem with the chemicals at the salon. I cut all my hair to grow new hair. It grew back but I noticed it never went back to what it was before. After some time my scalp started itching and I was losing my front hair. Doctors later associated it with the op and suggested I take calcium supplements. I'm on them now but I just see no change.

Comment from: Lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

I experienced the alopecia areata disease at age of 12 when I was still in elementary school. Now I am 28 years old and haven't married yet. It started to form a patch, every single hair that I held was loosened up from my scalp. I lost the entire hair in a month time, including my eyebrow, eyelids, armpit hair, everything. My parents brought me to everywhere, tried so many treatment including Rogain, but in vain. I used to try medicine from China, in a year the hair grew very thick and beautifully. However, I didn't get my period for a year, I gained weight, my voice change to very low, I grew thin mustache. After being diagnosed further, the medicine contains a lot of steroids which is not good for my health. Once I didn't consume the medicine, it came back to the entire baldness. I'm wearing kind of a scarf to cover it. I 'm not using any medication/ treatment now. Just let it be.

Comment from: StayingStrong, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I started experiencing my alopecia around the age of 25. I started noticing a lot of round patches, some small and some silver dollar size. Over the next five years I started seeing a dermatologist whom prescribed a minoxide creams, steroid injections to my scalp and even prednisone. This helped and seemed to settle the disease for around seven years. I started getting symptoms once again, silver dollar sized patches and loss around my hair line from and back. I got pregnant and my hair started growing, however about a year after I gave birth the disease was back.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?