Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Symptoms

Question:What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Irish Rose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

My Alopecia Areata began after my first marriage dissolved. Tried Nioxin, vitamins, creams, shots, and finally ultraviolet light. My hair grew back with a vengeance (while it was a different texture and much coarser at least there was some hair regrowth). I got remarried within three years. Moved four times and immediately the alopecia started again. This time worse. Bigger and wider bald spots. Did the wig thing and the alopecia resolved again (hair regrowth curly and walnut colored -- I am a dark blonde). I have been very lucky the last ten years. There has been little or no hair loss. Recently I moved and lost my mother. My hair is now falling out again. This time directly in the front and on the crown. Hard to cover. Stress is and always has been my trigger. I have been tested for everything under the sun. Pure and simple for me major stressors equal alopecia.

Comment from: SassyT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have chronic insomnia. One of my doctors put me on the blood pressure medicine Diovan. I was on it for 2 years. Last year going to the hair salon, she told me my hair had thinned out, and she could not curly it. I had been wearing weave extension for some time, but I would take them out and wear my own hair previously. I went back to the weaves. This one girl put some clue on the top of my tracks for the enclosure, and then my scalp starting to burn, and became irritated. The Diovan can cause Alopecia. I don't know what caused my hair to thin and there are dry bumps on my scalp, but they don't itch. I am very upset and concern, and feel like suing somewhat. I have some stress in my life as well. The stress doesn't stop, but I am trying to relax some. Now my hair is stressing me out. I said I would do better, if I just wash my scalp and keep it clean, but I am tired of wearing wigs. It would rather do the weaves. I don't know what to do. I am seeing a Dermatologist and she gave a shampoo and Steroid solution, but it seems to be getting worst. My hair seems healthier just wearing the weave, because my hair was strong, and not shedding at first. The more I washed it, the drier it looks. I don't see hair on my pillow, so where is it going. My scalp is somewhat red and bumpy mostly on the top. My sides are barely gone, but seem to be growing in some. I pray all the time too. I pray that my hair will grow back. There's got to be a treatment for this. I don't want to go bald.

Comment from: SV, Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My niece has the same symptoms. She lost her hair and then it grows only to fall out again. On my last trip to VN I found out that one of my cousins had the same thing. She went to the doctor and was given a medicine/vitamin called L Cystene. She took it for a year and her hair grew back. I bought some for my niece, she has been taking it for 4 months now and she got most of her hair back, though the spots that still bald are showing signs of regrowth. The hair that grew back has not fallen out yet. It might be worth a try.

Comment from: Christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had matching round patches of hair loss on the right and left sides of my head about eight months ago. They started small and grew larger as I lost more hair. The patch on the right side is larger than the one on the left now. Sometimes the areas itch; sometimes they are slightly painful. I have been diagnosed with alopecia areata and told there is no treatment to cure this condition. So, I simply shampoo often with Stieprox to keep the scalp clean, and continue to hope for the best as my hair has always been my crowning glory. I don't want to be bald at 45.

Comment from: lm85016, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I started experiencing a little general hair loss about 10 years ago. Every day I had extreme itchiness of the scalp and I scratched my head a lot. Everyday I saw more and more hair go down the drain when I washed it. Now after 10 years of this I just found my first bald patch (about 8 months ago) that was about 1 inch circle. Now it's about 3" x 2" and there's another bald patch on the back growing even larger and faster. I went to a hair clinic and they said it was alopecia areata but had no suggestions for treatment other than wigs. I am emotionally exhausted with this problem and it certainly doesn't help the stress which may or may not be the root problem (excuse the pun). All I know is that my scalp is ALWAYS itchy. Sometimes, but not always, even more itchy after I exercise. Does anyone else with alopecia areata experience this insane itchiness? I just don't know what to do!

Comment from: Patience Lowly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I'm a 49 year old female, living a stressful life and have undergone a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy 14 years ago. I notice a slight change in my hair after about three years after the operation. I did not worry because I thought it's just a temporal thing. I later notice a bald spot at the back and thought I was having a problem with the chemicals at the salon. I cut all my hair to grow new hair. It grew back but I noticed it never went back to what it was before. After some time my scalp started itching and I was losing my front hair. Doctors later associated it with the op and suggested I take calcium supplements. I'm on them now but I just see no change.

Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments Question: What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?